Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Reviews - A Kit Review - The iStick Mix by Eleaf

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

_____________________________________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Everyone and welcome to Pizza Dave’s Vape Reviews. Today I will be going over the iStick Mix kit by Eleaf. The Mix is the latest mod from Eleaf. It has followed the popular trend of resin panels, but MIXED it up a bit, and has one side covered in a wild pattern of IML (sticker w/ clear plastic over it), so it essentially offers two different mod styles in one. To make this kit complete, Eleaf includes the new Ello POP tank. Let’s get right to it and see what the Mix is all about.

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Eleaf for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• Eleaf iStick Mix 160w mod
  • Ello Pop tank w/ 6.5ml bubble glass
  • 6.5 ml Spare bubble glass without rubber lines
  • 1 HW-M2 .20-ohm coil
  • 1 HW-N2 .20-ohm coil
  • USB-C 3.0 cable
  • Spare Parts
  • Paperwork

- Available in a bunch of color combos that all have silly names in my opinion. No clue why they went with these fantasy, RPG style names, but here they are.

Hell Witch – Red/blue resin
Seabed Snaker – Blue/orange resin
Glary Knight – Green/blue resin
Skyline Numen – Blue/white resin
Wind Ninja – Black/white resin

STOCK SHOT
zV2jRnf.jpg

PACKAGING
RM4JzBb.jpg

UNBOXED
eGQ4ySA.jpg

MOD OVERVIEW

Like I mentioned in the intro, the iStick Mix is a mashup of a mod which features a resin side panel and another side covered with what they call IML technology. This isn’t the first time I have seen this material on a mod, as Vaptio did it with the Capt’n mod. It is basically a design or pattern which is covered with a durable clear plastic to keep it looking nice for longer. This design basically gives you two different styles mixed up into one mod, and it makes it a bit unique. Other than that, this is your every day dual 18650 mod. It has a max wattage of 160w, has temp control for various metals, and comes with a basic Eleaf display. From my first impressions until the time I wrote this, I felt like Eleaf nailed it with build quality on this. The design may not be for everyone, but it’s built solid and might be one of the nicest Eleaf mods I have handled to date.

OPERATION

The operation of this device is quite basic. If you have ever used an Eleaf product with the sideways display over the last two years, chances are you know how to operate this mod. It has a few different button combos to remember, but other than that, it is straight forward and easy. These aren’t as simple as mods with large screens and well laid out menu systems with labelling, but this works for what it is.

BUTTON COMBOS

• 5 clicks of the fire button will turn the device off and on.
  • 4 clicks of the fire button (when in TC mode) will enter the preheat wattage setting.
  • 3 clicks of the fire button enters the mode selection screen.
  • Pressing the fire button and + will enter the main menu.
  • Pressing the + and – together will lock the adjustment buttons, but the mod will still fire.

MENU SYSTEM

The main menu on this is laid out using icons. I included some images in the photo gallery showing all of them and the manual shows them all as well. Here are the basics of what you get here.

LOGO

• Boxes – Allows you to adjust what all is displayed on the vaping screen
  • Ghost – Stealth mode
  • Vapor waves – Adjusts power and duration limitation
  • Logo – Allows a custom logo on startup
  • V – Shows version of firmware and hardware
  • Battery logo – Shows voltage of both batteries

The mode screen, viewed with 3 clicks of the fire button, is about as simple as it gets as well. This devices offers the following modes.

• Wattage
  • Memory 1
  • Memory 2
  • Memory 3
  • TC Ti
  • TC Ni
  • TC SS

There you have it. That is about all you need to know about actually operating this mod. It is user friendly and isn’t hard to figure out just by clicking around on it for a bit.

HOW IT VAPES

So, the million-dollar question is here. I tested this device with the included tank for the majority of testing, but also threw on some rdas to test wattage and temperature control. Wattage response feels accurate during testing and I have no issues with how it works in this mode. It ramps up quickly and feels as it the wattage setpoint is truly put out to the atomizer. I ran mine at 160w with a rda and it felt like I was breathing fire, so it seems to be close to as advertised. I am glad they didn’t slap 220w on it as a false advertisement. My temperature control testing was done per usual, with an RDA and a round wire SS build. First puffs were rough, as they ramped up way too hot. I found that from the factory, the preheat for TC is 160w. I told Eleaf about this, and they said they will address the issue. Once I set it to a more moderate 65w, it was rather smooth sailing. The vapor felt smooth and of the same temperature throughout my testing. It cuts it a bit close on the lower end cut off, but it still tapered power off enough to prevent a massive dry hit when my cotton was dry. Very little browning of the cotton occurred during my testing. Since I spent quite a bit of time testing this mod with the Ello Pop tank, I will talk about it next.

TANK REVIEW

The Ello Pop…. yes…another Ello tank is here again. This one however, is a bit different than Ellos of the past. The word Pop in the name is in there for the top fill design. The top cap pops up, via a spring-loaded assembly, and slides over to reveal the fill hole. It is a nice design to help prevent accident openings by kids, or when placed in a pocket or bag. I have no gripes with this at all. One oddity that this has is rubber or silicone on the glass. These lines are supposedly there to prevent the glass from cracking when knocked, but they also have a large aesthetic contribution. I don’t particularly like this design and see no point in it. Other than these couple of things, we basically have a tank that performs similar to the Ello Duro. This features the same HW-M and HW-N series of coils. The version two of these, included with this tank, were discussed in my review of the iStick 21700. They feature an insert through the core of the mesh coils which delivers are from the center, right to the mesh surface. It smooths out the draw and boosts the flavor compared to the original HW series of coils. I didn’t find this tank to be good, or bad. The coils perform better than some mesh coils out there, but they are not really amazing. Not sure the difference between the Duro and the Pop, but I also feel that the Duro has a slight advantage on flavor. Air flow on this is rather airy, and I had to shut it down half way and then some. Overall, just an OK tank. Doesn’t excite me too much, but not a terrible tank to have in a kit for someone just getting into their first box mod.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TANK PROS

• Good coil life
  • Good capacity
  • Pop up top cap prevents accidental opening
  • Matches mod nicely

TANK CONS

• Flavor is just ok
  • Ribbed glass doesn’t do it for me aesthetically

PHOTO GALLERY

BZYqG5f.jpg

Z8I3vRI.jpg

0n0FcTw.jpg

mN96mGJ.jpg

2TKNhcJ.jpg

pgPWtPT.jpg

QuGozqo.jpg

rItmBJ5.jpg

ZEZ7NQb.jpg

jiB2UQA.jpg

acRsDXw.jpg

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FINAL THOUGHTS

SOOO what do I think of the iStick Mix kit? Well, I don’t love it or hate it. My first impressions were great, as the resin looks great and I am a fan of resin box mods, but then I flipped it over. The back panels with designs are not really my style. I like that they changed it up and didn’t do the same as everyone, but the designs are not for me. Beyond that design characteristic, I totally dig the mod. The battery door is solid, the buttons are solid, and the box overall…is solid. It feels well built in my opinion and is one of the more compact dual 18650 devices out there that uses a side by side battery layout. I don’t have many gripes on performance at all either. It runs the included tank well and feels to put out the power I set it to. TC isn’t totally dead on this either, but it did have that wonky 160w preheat from the factory. One of my only gripes with the mod, other than the panels, is the display. I think it is time to move past these sideways, basic screens, and get into some better-looking options. Many mod companies have proven that screens don’t have to be huge but can still look nicer and be easier to navigate. This seems dated with this screen, while the rest of the mod is with the times. The Ello Pop tank isn’t amazing, but at least it completes the kit and makes it into a decent little starter for a new owner. Overall, I think that Eleaf did a nice job with this kit. It is a solid device that is just as good as several mods that look similar to it (looking at you Magma, Drag, etc.).

OVEN TEST

If I this were to accidentally fall into my pizza oven would I go out and get another? Probably not, as there are a lot of similar mods out there that I like just a hair more.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROS

• Good build quality
  • Nice resin
  • Wattage performance feels accurate
  • TC performance is acceptable, but not amazing
  • Centered 510 pin (didn’t mention above, but excellent)

CONS

• Included tank is kind of meh
  • IML panels are not my style
  • Screen is dated
  • TC preheat setting is 160w (might be changed on retail)

Thank you all for reading and thank you to Eleaf for sending this my way for review. It is just now getting released, so I am not seeing it everywhere just yet. It looks like it will have a retail price of about $60.

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors