Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - An RTA Review - The Mage V2 from Coilart

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone Pizza Dave here, delivering a review of the Mage V2 RTA by Coilart. The Mage V2 is nothing new. I am super late to the game with this RTA as it was released in the spring of 2018. I never heard much about it, and since I am a fan of RTAs, I figured why not? Soooooo. What we have here is a dual coil, bottom air flow RTA from Coilart. It features a post-less build deck (like the Kylin series from Vandy Vape), 5.5ml capacity, and a standard screw off the top fill method. I am going to keep this review short and to the point as the Mage 2019 edition is out now and this is already considered retro vaping, I guess.

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Sourcemore for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Mage V2 RTA
  • 1 3.5ml straight glass
  • 1 5.5ml PMMA bubble glass
  • Spare parts
  • Tools
  • Paperwork

Available in black/gold, black/rose gold, gunmetal/gold, gold, and stainless/gold

Packaging
O3EOQkk.jpg

Out of Box
kTH5MEk.jpg

Stock Shot
ymVdM7i.jpg

BUILD DECK AND WICKING

I won’t sugar coat it, but they botched the build deck. This is a post-less style deck, with two large ports for coils, and a wrap around style bottom air flow. It looks decent at first, but upon closer inspection, you’ll see that the set screws come in 90 degrees from the coils. This hurts the building process in a few different ways. One of them is how it warps and twisted flatter-built coils. This can be helped my pre-twisting the coils leads, but even then, if can be difficult. The worst aspect with the set screws is their inability to get a solid grip on my coils. I battled with coils coming loose and resistance jumping around. I don’t recommend building on this unless you have experience and patience.

Wicking this is not too terrible. I wicked it up 4 times with different materials and it seemed to be easy enough to nail down. I found that if you don’t add enough wick, this will absolutely pour liquid all over the place and make a mess. Total rookie mistake, as the top cap wasn’t fully tight either. Once I figured this out, all was well, but I thank the lord I was testing it on my Aegis Legend and didn’t wreck a mod by having liquid get all over inside it.

AIR FLOW

This is one of the aspects that they nailed on this RTA. The air flow comes in the bottom, and hits both the bottom and sides of the coils. We have seen this on a few RTAs, but I haven’t felt one that was as smooth as this. It doesn’t feel very turbulent and offers a nice, somewhat restricted air flow. It doesn’t provide boat loads of air, but I felt that fully open, it was just right for the way I like to vape.

PHOTO GALLERY

87b0Qip.jpg

57J6CxP.jpg

hXODDXt.jpg

nWWdobX.jpg

KVn1qP3.jpg

EnUXLOa.jpg

HOW IT VAPES / FINAL THOUGHTS

It was really tough to dig into the how it vapes on this one because I spent so much time fiddling with the build. Claptons kept coming loose, cotton was finicky to the point where it was super leaky…. But, after some patience I was successful in getting a functional build in place. What I found is, while this isn’t the best rta I have used, it definitely isn’t a slouch. I think one of the biggest positive attributes this has is how smooth the air flow is. It is highly satisfying in that respect. All they had to do was turn the set screws from the sides into the flat part of the coils and I would have an entirely different demeanor with this thing. The first day of vaping I had to open the tank and repeatedly tighten down the coils. They kept working their way loose and my mod was sensing the unstable resistance and wouldn’t work! I found something else that contributed to the leaking. The top cap seals with some very small O-rings, and if they aren’t in place perfect or the cap isn’t all the way tight, no vacuum is created, and it helps add to the leaking issue. The bottom line is this rta is a few small changes away from being damn good. When I got it to work, I really enjoyed the vape, it just took a lot to get there!

OVEN TEST

If this were to accidentally go into the pizza oven would I go out and get another? No

PROS

• I like the styling (subjective pro)
  • Smooth air flow
  • Decent flavor

CONS

• Not a fan of pmma bubble glass
  • Leaking hazard until wicked just right
  • Post configuration leads to twisting coils, jumping ohms, or “check atomizer” alerts due to loosening coils

Thank you everyone for reading my review and thank you to Sourcemore for sending it my way for review! It can be picked up for about $30 over on their site.

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item extensively for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used all products enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying them and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice review dude :) I've read some of your reviews on reddit. I don't have a reddit account but I do lurk on there and it's a helpful community if you're looking for a new mod or atty. Actually got the Savour after reading a review on there. Keep up the good work!

VU Sponsors