Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - An RDA Review - The Widowmaker by Vandy Vape

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone Pizza Dave here, delivering a review of the Widowmaker rda by Vandy Vape. This rda is following the same path as most of Vandy Vape’s products this year, as it is a collaboration with Spanish reviewer El Mano Vapeador. This is a 24mm, semi-postless rda, that features 3 different top caps for varying air flow, an interesting air delivery system, and also comes with both an 810 style or chuff cap. It sure comes with a lot of parts, but let’s dive down and see what I think of it.

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Vandy Vape for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Widowmaker RDA
  • 1 15-hole air flow ring
  • 1 large bore single hole air flow ring
  • 1 small bore oval hole air flow ring
  • Spare parts
  • Tools
  • Coils
  • Paperwork

Available in gold, stainless, black, gunmetal, and rainbow

Packaging
U94mLvz.jpg

Out of Box
hsbh9fq.jpg

Stock Shot
D508dFb.jpg

BUILD DECK AND WICKING

The deck of the widowmaker is what I am calling semi-postless. Essentially it has post sections on the bottom that have the coil post holes facing up. This has been done before on several atomizers and isn’t really anything new. It is easy to build on, and with the “coily” styled tool that this comes with, you simply snip your leads to the length they mark and you insert the coils. To avoid twisting of my coils, I always place them on my coil jig and prebend one lead so it comes off the same side as the other. I installed mine so the “over the top” portion of the coil was on the inside. The way the air flow is indented into the top cap, you do have to watch for clearences and place the coils accordingly. Overall, it is very easy, and I have no complaints with the deck. Wicking is also a no brainer. Cut the cotton long enough to just barely touch the base of the rda and you are all set for dripping or squonking.

AIR FLOW

Air flow is where this rda really gets interesting, as I personally have never seen a design like this. The air comes through the afc, hits a swooping channel, goes down, and then comes in at the lower portion of the coils. The redirected air flow allows for the air to come in high, then get right to the height you would want it for optimal flavor. The higher set air flow helps to prevent leaking from over dripping or over squonking. This air flow is adjusted with 3 different caps. The first one is 15 small holes, the second has one larger hole, and the third is a smaller oval shaped hole. This offers 3 totally different vape experiences and most should be able to find a style that they prefer. My personal favorite is the 15-hole cap. The air is a bit smoother and more restricted than what I get with the other two. I used the other two for brief testing and instantly went back to the multi-hole as it was an obvious standout in my eyes.

PHOTO GALLERY

UCYbabM.jpg

9XPWw5S.jpg

QWz3SOn.jpg

Re83lTT.jpg

8ToHSFz.jpg

HOW IT VAPES / FINAL THOUGHTS

The Widowmaker at first just looks like a gimmicky hunk of parts to be honest. I was very skeptical on how it would perform because there is a lot going on. However, once I got to vape it my opinion was greatly altered. It provides a damn good vaping experience. It produces a smooth draw and excellent flavor. Sure, there are some that I would say produce better flavor out there, but it is quite good. To top that off, it is super easy to build on and works well as a squonking or a dripping atomizer. Another small pro for drip tip fanatics out there, but it comes with an 810 adapter w/ a wide bore Delrin 810, but it also has a chuff cap included which I really enjoyed using. In all honesty here, the biggest gripe I have with this is also kind of a catch 22. I love that this has so many different options of air flow, but having a design like this also makes the top cap a 3-piece design. This design works all good and well when it is in place, but can be flat out annoying when you attempt to remove and replace the top cap. It basically falls apart into 3 pieces, and the smooth textures don’t help at all. Aligning the locking portion on the bottom is a pain in the ass at times, but sometimes I got lucky. That’s really all I can throw hate at on this thing. I guess I will toss one more con in there. I don’t like the logo at all. It takes up a lot of what you see on the thing, and doesn’t make it look great at all. I would have rather had no logos than the funky WM on it. I think with all things considered, if you like how this looks, and don’t mind the 3 piece structure, then I think you could enjoy using this rda.

OVEN TEST

If this were to accidentally go into the pizza oven would I go out and get another? Probably not, as there are other dual coil rdas closer to my heart.

PROS

• 810 and chuff caps included
  • Great flavor
  • Smooth air flow
  • 3 air flow options
  • Easy to build on
  • Dripper and squonker friendly

CONS

• 3-piece top cap is a pain to remove and replace
  • Could have simplified it all and just went with the 15-hole air flow ring
  • WM logo is cheesy

Thank you everyone for reading my review and thank you to Vandy Vape for sending it my way for review. I am seeing this one popping up as a preorder for about $30.

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item extensively for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used all products enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying them and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

Last edited:

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Nice write up dude. Kind of looks like a Dead Rabbit base, and a few different manufacturers AFC ring.

VU Sponsors