Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - An RDA Review - The Recurve Dual by Wotofo

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone Pizza Dave here, delivering a review of the Recurve Dual by Wotofo. This RDA is another collaboration from Mike Vapes and Wotofo and is also a follow up to the successful selling Recurve from about a year ago. As the name states, this is a dual coil version of the old original. The outside barrel shape is changed, losing the curvature of the original, and the OD of this rda remains 24mm. I vaped on a Recurve quite a bit throughout 2018 and found it to be a decent single coil atomizer for the time. Let’s dive down and get into the details, and I will provide my final thoughts down at the bottom!

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Wotofo for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Recurve Dual RDA
  • 1 Shorty 810 resin drip tip
  • 1 510 drip tip adapter
  • 1 OG recurve 810 drip tip
  • 1 Coil snipping tool
  • 1 Squonk pin
  • Tools
  • 2 Coils
  • Bag of cotton
  • Spare Parts
  • Paperwork

Available in a ton of different colors including Black, Stainless, Blue, Gold, Rainbow, and Gunmetal.

STOCK SHOT
nds8c0g.jpg

PACKAGING
2oCdcIE.jpg

yvNToBJ.jpg

UNBOXED
ISpVTaD.jpg

BUILD DECK AND WICKING

The build deck of the Recurve Dual is totally retooled this time around. It still offers 4 post openings, but this time around, these are further out, and it has machining through the base to provide more of a juice well. Building on this is very simple. Wotofo recommends 7mm coil leads, but they don’t mention much about pre-bending leads. I found it was much easier to install them with pre-bent coils, so I bent them to come off the same side of the coil, then snipped them down to 7mm using the included coil snipping tool. This tool works similar to a coily, but it starts out at 4mm, then as pivoting levels which are 1mm each. I totally dig it and it’s a nice addition. Once the coils are bent and snipped, toss them in, screw it down, and you are good to go.

Wicking on this is also very easy. There is ample space for cotton without too much fuss. I snipped mine so it would rest just above the base of the rda and found it to wick perfectly when dripped and squonking. I have a photo in the gallery that shows my wicking, but this is as beginner friendly as it is going to get.

AIR FLOW

One of the reasons I liked the original airflow of the Recurve was in how smooth it felt. With 6 holes per side positioned high and angling down, it was squonk friendly and aimed right at the coil perfectly when wide open. This time around, we get the same 6 air flow inlets, except that are in a half moon shape surrounding each coil. This still works well for squonking, as you can squonk like crazy, see liquid raise up to these holes, and it sucks right back in when the bottle is released. In regard to the draw of this air flow, it still remains smooth much is airier than the original due to a larger chamber. I don’t feel like it is quite as smooth, but it has noticeably more airflow when compared side by side with the original. One con with this air flow is the same as the original. When closing down the air flow, it will become off centered and it will not be going directly to the center of the coil which, in general, tends to hurt flavor. Closing this down will also build up heat in the RDA and it gets a bit warmer than I like. HOWEVER, the design is kind of goofy in the fact that it can only be turned down to 4 hours per side, and not two. If you try to go to two, the 2 holes on the right miss the sides of the build deck and will suck air past the sides. You probably wouldn’t want to do this with dual coils anyway, but I need to bring it up. I also wish they would have made it a little wider and done 8 smaller holes to give just a hair more airflow.

B5QGziS.jpg

wxM17Wy.jpg

X7JbOd5.jpg

tzPofAi.jpg

JTPZTln.jpg

HxSAFYl.jpg

2Uol6Xd.jpg

H8R1mPe.jpg

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
HOW IT VAPES / FINAL THOUGHTS

The Recurve single was something I used a lot. I liked the vape it provided and at one time, I had two of them set up at all times. My love for it did however fizzle out and I haven’t used one for a while. Going into this review I had some mixed feelings. I wasn’t sure how this design would work, and many of my initial thoughts came to fruition as I vaped it. I will get into final thoughts and pros/cons next, but for now let’s focus on the experience. First build was with the included 3mm .14-ohm fused Clapton Wotofo coils. Along with these coils, I used some 3mm .11-ohm SFQ (super flat quad) coils by Badazd (a member on Reddit) and also used some locally made .12-ohm aliens. I found that each of these offers small flavor changes to the vape. The included coils and the Aliens were similar, with a balance between savory/creamy flavors and fruits, while the SFQ coils brought out sweeter flavors and fruits more. When compared to the original Recurve, I found the dual to bring a lot more punch to the flavor. Also, with increased air flow and that extra coil, vapor was more plentiful than the original as well. Another nice change on this rda from the original is I found this to work great both as a squonker and as a dripper. The original had basically no juice well, so using it as a dripper was a no go for me, but not the case this time around.

So, do I love or hate the Recurve Dual? I am 50/50 on it. It is easy to build, easy to wick, and looks good with the new styling changes in my opinion. I also like the flavor and vapor production that I get from it. I think this is a decent follow up from the original. Basically, if you liked the Recurve, but hoped it had just a bit more airflow and a bump in flavor, you will get those couple of things with this RDA. However, everything that comes out has to have some cons. The first con I found was the top cap can get pretty hot, but keep in mind that I am a chain vapor that doesn’t allow any time for cool down. I think if they bumped up to 8 air flow holes per side it would be a big advantage, but this is what it is. In addition to this heat, comes a second con that accentuates it, and it’s the shorty 810 drip tip. I found myself getting a good case of hot lips on this thing and I am not a fan. Sure, it is comfortable, and not bad for taking patient puffs, but if you vape higher wattages or take several puffs in succession, it just isn’t a good combo. Part of this con is 100% my own fault. The builds I used are pretty beefy, so even at the 70-75w that I used it at, they are going to generate more heat that will transfer to the outside. Smaller builds should help with this a lot, but it just isn’t what I tend to use. Like I said above, I don’t love or hate this new Recurve. It is an upgrade from the original in my eyes, but it isn’t like mind blowing entry to the market.

OVEN TEST

If this were to accidentally go into the pizza oven would I go out and get another? I think I would go for some other dual coil rdas on the market, but this would be on my radar.

PROS

• Easy to build
  • Easy to wick
  • Good flavor
  • Styling is nice and simple
  • 6 color options
  • More airflow than the original (but only because the chamber is larger)
  • Good as a dripper and a squonker
  • Tough to get it to leak

CONS

• Top cap gets hot during some hard usage
  • Shorty top cap leads to some hot lips
  • Can only adjust between 6 or 4 holes per side, 2 is a no go (wouldn’t want to do that anyway, it’s just deceiving)
  • Could have a little more air flow

Thank you everyone for reading my review and thank you to Wotofo for sending this my way for review. I am seeing this online for about $35.

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item extensively for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used all products enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying them and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors