Become a Patron!

PIZZA DAVE DELIVERS - AN RDA REVIEW - THE PIXIE BY VAPEFLY

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone Pizza Dave here, delivering a review of the Pixie by Vape Fly. The Pixie is the latest rda from the company and is a compact, single coil rda that is a great match for single battery mechanical squonkers on the market. This is one of the smallest rdas I have used to date, but it packs a punch. Let’s dive down, take a look at the deck, how it vapes, and I will see you down at the bottom for my final thoughts.

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Vape Fly for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Pixie RDA
  • 1 BF and one regular 510 pin
  • 2 extra grub screws
  • 1 t-handle screwdriver multi-tool
  • 2 pieces of firebolt cotton
  • 2 .35-ohm Clapton coils

Available in black, stainless, rainbow, gold, and gunmetal.

STOCK SHOT
6ziWWBN.jpg

PACKAGING
dWhOFU9.jpg

UNBOXED
V7g6v4E.jpg

BUILD DECK AND WICKING

The build deck on this atomizer is basic. It features offset posts like many single coil rdas do. The backside of the posts are open, so it allows you to snip your leads after the coil is situated where you want. Speaking of situation, coil placement is key to getting good performance from this rda. At first, I installed my coils centered in the chamber so when I looked down the drip tip it was right there. What I found with this, is the flavor is reduced a fair amount when installed this way. Rather, you are going to want to center them between the posts and the are flow inlet. Height-wise, I just set my coil jig right on the rim of the juice well, and it seemed to be about right. There are indents in the deck that show their "ideal" position, and that is a good place to start. There is plenty of room for larger coils in this, and I even dove into a 3.5mm 6 wrap Clapton at one point. With this, I found that bigger isn’t always better and found more satisfaction with smaller builds. As far as install goes, it is easy. The only thing that I did to make the install a bit neater was to pre-bend my leads so they both came off the bottom. They aligned with the post holes evenly and required just minor tweaking once installed. Having the back of the posts open, and with adequate cutting room is a pro, as snipped leads in this fashion is a breeze.

AIR FLOW

There are quite a few air flow options with this rda. The first mode of air flow adjustment is on the top cap itself. It has a wide channel and one small hole. The second mode of air flow adjustment comes in the form of two different peek inserts that are installed in the lower half of the cap. One has three small holes, and the other has a wide channel. Both the top cap and these inserts work in tandem to offer lots of adjustment. The smallest air flow setting possible is obtained by using the three-hole insert along with the single top cap hole. The draw from a single hole is a loose mtl inhale. Yes, one can choke it down a little more for a tighter MTL draw, but then it doesn’t feel as smooth. The most open this gets is with the single hole peek insert and the top cap wide open. This is an airy direct to lung inhale. Between these two is a middle ground of restricted lung inhales. My favorite was to use the 3-hole peek insert and the air flow wide open.

HOW IT VAPES

With something with a chamber this small one must expect excellent flavor. The Pixie does not disappoint here. It offers a dense and flavorful vape that is very satisfying. The draw, the flavor, and the overall smile factor are very high with this one. I really enjoy vaping this as it fits right in with the type of vape I like. I ran this on several different mods, all of which are squonkers. I used it with mechanical and regulated squonk mods and found my sweet spot to be somewhere in the 45-55w. I tested how high I could push it with the widest of air flow settings and ripped it at 70w a bit, but after a handful of consecutive hits the entire thing was very hot. It was right at home on my mechanical squonkers as I could put a nice smaller coil in there that ramped up well, but still provided excellent flavor and vapor.

PHOTO GALLERY

WRcB4MG.jpg

Vpa8h0P.jpg

Yl5QTru.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS

The Pixie surprised me a bit as it has had zero hype. Vape Fly has made some great products, and this is another example of something great, that doesn’t get enough credit. I had to pick this thing apart to find cons, and the only one that I came up with was minor seeping around the seams of the top cap and the unused air flow openings. A small con that definitely isn’t a deal breaker. I love the flavor this produces. I love how well it works with my mechanical single battery squonkers. And lastly it is just simple to build on and use. If you are an MTL vapor it probably isn’t for you as it doesn’t get that tight, but it works great for direct lung vapors that are looking for a small rda that performs well.

OVEN TEST

If this rda were to accidentally go into the pizza oven would I go out and get another? Absolutely

PROS

• Easy to build on
  • Lots of room for coil building
  • Lots of air flow options
  • Compact size
  • Great flavor
  • Smooth air flow
  • Squonks great

CONS

• Slight seeping on the seems of the top cap
  • Compact but not ideal for MTL vaping

Thank you everyone for reading my review and thank you to Vape Fly for review. This one is tough to find online, but hopefully it becomes more available soon. It is looking like a low $20-25 price tag.

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item extensively for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used all products enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying them and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors