Become a Patron!

PIZZA DAVE DELIVERS - AN RDA REVIEW - THE PHOBIA V2 BY VANDY VAPE

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone Pizza Dave here, delivering a review of the Phobia V2 by Vandy Vape. This is the latest rda to hit the market by Vandy Vape, and is a follow up to the VERY different Phobia V1. This time around, they made so many changes, that this can hardly be called a Phobia. The only thing that remains the same is the build deck, but beyond that it is completely re-imagined. This time around, this 24mm atomizer goes with side air flow, a deeper juice well, and a different top cap configuration. Let’s dive down, see what makes this thing tick, and as always I will give you my final thoughts down at the bottom.

DISCLAIMER: This rda was sent to me by Vandy Vape for review.

fHs1Wuu.jpg

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 – Phobia V2 RDA
  • 1 – Delrin 810 drip tip
  • 1 – Ultem 810 drip tip
  • 1 – PEI 810 drip tip
  • 1 – 510 drip tip adapter
  • 1 – accessory/spare parts bag
  • 1 – User manual
  • 1 – Coil length tool

Available in black, ss, gunmetal, and rainbow color options.

STOCK SHOT
wrzGyDT.jpg

UNBOXED
HfDv1Xf.jpg

BUILD DECK AND WICKING

The build deck on the Phobia V2 is essentially a repeat of the V1. It is a dual coil, post-less design, which features exposed threads on the set screws. Since the air flow is now coming in from the sides, there is no longer the air flow to contend with under the coils. Building is fairly easy, and the included coil length tool is a bonus for premeasuring with this deck. The only thing to keep in mind is how that air flow comes in. The top cap is cuts in a ton, and requires the coils to be pushed towards the inside of the chamber to be clear of contact. I have some pics below in the gallery showing these clearance issues. Wicking on this is straight forward. The Phobia V1 had a very shallow juice well that was essentially full of cotton. This time around, it is deep, and has ample room for cotton. The only thing to take note of is when squonking, as you don’t want to directly cover the squonk pin.

AIR FLOW

Air flow on the V1 featured an indirect bottom airflow. I had a lot of troubles with over squonking the V1, as there was little room for error with the shallow juice well. It was one of those puff, squonk, puff, squonk types. This one positions the air flow much higher up on the sides and makes it very difficult to leak when squonking (or dripping). The air flow features three vertical slots that directly line up with the coil when all three are open. It is very airy when fully open, which is why I choked it down to 2 holes open. This is where a design flaw comes in. Since the top cap locks into place, as the air flow is choked down the air flow becomes more and more off-centered. This kills flavor in a big way, and is one of the largest cons with this rda.

HOW IT VAPES

I think the big comparison with how it vapes comes down to flavor. I felt a lot more pop in the flavor with the V1, but this one isn’t a slouch either. I felt that it brought out some of the sweeter sides in my liquids, but lacked a bit on the creamier flavors. The side air flow is great for reducing the leaking issues I had on the V1, but it comes with a set of cons. The air flow inlets have sharper edges, which make the air flow feel a bit on the turbulent side. It just doesn’t feel that smooth, and it takes away from the enjoyment. Another thing I noticed when I vaped this at around 80-85w, the top cap gets very warm after a handful of hits. I experience this same thing on the Pulse 24, and since I am a bit of a chain vapor, this heat can get out of hand.

PHOTO GALLERY

4QxcAC0.jpg

CXufQWz.jpg

izpJaHN.jpg

KaTlkyW.jpg

XH1ENGg.jpg

yhq3zb9.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS

I did not think the Phobia V1 was a great rda. I didn’t like the shallow juice well, and I didn’t like how it was susceptible to leaking out the air flow inlets. This has been greatly improved in this go around, but like I said above, it comes with its own set of cons. This review is very mixed for me as it has a balance between pros and cons. I think, more or less, it is just a case of the design vs. personal preference. For the most part, I ran this with 2 air flow slots open to get the draw I preferred, which in turn brings out the only real cons of this rda. That being said, if you are a fan of higher air flow, I think that you could enjoy this. Higher airflow keeps it cooler, produces more flavor, and also has a takes away a lot of the turbulence.

PROS

• Deep juice well
  • Easy to build
  • Easy to wick
  • Styling looks nice
  • Lots of included caps for 3 totally different looks

CONS

• Air flow locks into place and becomes off centered when closed down.
  • Turbulent air flow
  • Top cap heat

Thank you everyone for reading my review and thank you to Vandy Vape for sending this out for review. If you are interested in testing this one out, I am seeing it online at a price range of $25-40.

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

I am an open book, and am free to answer questions in the comments to help you make decisions based on my opinions and experience with all devices I review

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item extensively for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used all products enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying them and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors