Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - An RDA Review - The Mutant by Vandy Vape and Twisted420

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone Pizza Dave here, delivering a review of the Mutant RDA by Vandy Vape and Vaping with Twisted 420. This is a collaborated design with VV and Twisted420 and is a blend of several different design aspects which all culminate to create a unique RDA. The Mutant is a 25mm atomizer, which is relatively short, coming in at 26mm to the base of the drip tip. It features a dual vertical coil build deck, has 4 different air flow choices, and is topped with a tapered 810 drip tip. It has a lot of features packed in, so let’s get right to it, go over everything, and as always, I will have my final thoughts down at the bottom.

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Vandy Vape for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Mutant Rda
  • 1 Squonk Pin (pre-installed)
  • 1 Regular Pin
  • 1 Tapered Resin 810 Drip Tip
  • 1 510 Drip tip adapter
  • Tool Bag
  • Spare O-rings
  • Spare Post Screws
  • 2 .39-ohm triple core fused Clapton

Available in a ton of different colors including Black, Stainless, Gunmetal, and Rainbow.

STOCK SHOT
O3QDE4O.jpg

PACKAGING
W3jHPOo.jpg

UNBOXED
LdHaqNf.jpg

BUILD DECK AND WICKING

One of the most interested choices on this RDA is the build deck design. It has some funky looking posts, but once you start to build on it, it makes sense. It is designed to simply take the coils, drop them into slots, and tighten. It really is just that easy, as long as your coils are wrapped the correct way. Other coils will work, but they won’t be quite as simple. The deck has large slots, facing up, with beefy Allen head screws to hold the coil securely in place. The only thing I don’t like about this design is tweaking the coils requires a straight coiling rod, and not a step-down one which I typically used. I wish there was a tool in the bag, as some might not have a straight tool laying around. If you have the tools, this will be an absolute breeze. If you don’t have a tool, it wouldn’t be very fun at all.

Wicking on this design is simple, because the deck is raised deck, but it does take longer than horizontal coils. I was able to roll my cotton and stick it through the coil enough to grab with a tweezers and work it down. Once I wicked it a few times, it was second nature. As for length, I snipped my cotton off just shy of the juice well and left a little bit hanging out the top to become saturated by the squonking action.

HOW IT SQUONKS

I created a new section just for this atomizer because I think it should be touched on. The Mutant has an elongated squonk tube which comes all the way to the top of the build deck. When it is squonked, liquid comes right out the top of this tube and into the top of the coils. It also sucks back into your bottle via small holes at the base of this tube. It works well and provides adequate liquid right onto the coils and wicking material used. When the squonk pin is removed this tube becomes unattached, opening up more of a juice well for dripping. I think this is ideally used as a squonker all the time, but at least the option is here for the drippers out there.

AIR FLOW

Like I said in the intro the air flow inlets have 4 different patterns. They all offer varying levels of flow to fine tune what you like.

AIR FLOW DESIGNS

• 24 tiny holes
  • 12 medium sized holes
  • Diagonal slots
  • Horizontal “diamond” slots

Some are more turbulent than others. I tended to gravitate to both of the multi-hole designs more than the slots. The slotted ones didn’t really do it for me in terms of smoothness and flavor. I pretty much left mine set to the small holes with 1 row closed off. It just seemed to work best for me.

PHOTO GALLERY

tYY0fxw.jpg

Y7hRBMw.jpg

2boq3E8.jpg

WT9iEca.jpg

eI0tyjP.jpg

3WmJXAs.jpg

YKe58nl.jpg

z2glO3N.jpg

adKtxtV.jpg

HOW IT VAPES / FINAL THOUGHTS

Alright, so there was a lot to digest with the Mutant RDA. It has some cool features, and some odd features. For starters, I feel like this vapes like every other average rda. I wasn’t really blown away with flavor. It isn’t bad by any means, but it didn’t wow me. I found that this is a bit of a power-hungry design, and with air flow wide open, it can chuck some clouds at 100-120w no problem. I typically ran it at 90-95w to get it to perform decent, but like I said, it was only just decent. I used the stock coils, but also tried some fused claptons of my own and they performed very similar. I did find that dropping the coils in and pulling them out towards the air flow made the flavor pop a bit more, but it still was sub-par. It does have some good going for it though. The design looks good in my opinion, and the tapered drip tip is super comfortable. Other good things are the juice well, the squonking function, and how simple it is to build. The extra air flow settings….. I could take them or leave them. It’s nice that it’s there, but I didn’t need anything beyond those tiny holes. With all that being said, this one didn’t get me too excited, and there are several other recent rdas that I would rather use instead.

OVEN TEST

If this were to accidentally go into the pizza oven would I go out and get another? Nope. This mutant is getting burnt.

PROS
  • 4 air flow options
  • Cool squonking function
  • Easy to build on if you have the correct coiling rods
  • Looks nice
  • I like the included drip tip

CONS

• Flavor lacks even after fiddling with coil placement several times
  • Wicking takes a little longer than horizontal coils

Thank you everyone for reading my review and thank you to Vandy Vape for sending this my way for review. I am seeing this online for about $25-30.

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item extensively for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used all products enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying them and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors