Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - An RDA Review - The Axial Pro by Mass Mods and Twisted Messes

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone and thanks for stopping by to read! Yours truly, Pizza Dave, is back with another review. This time it is for an RDA, the Axial Pro by Twisted Messes and Mass Mods. I sure don’t get many of these for review these days, and boy was it a breath of fresh air. The Axial Pro is somewhat of a follow up from the original Axial RDA, but with several changes making it very different. The Pro is a 25mm RDA, with a postless deck, but unlike the original 2 post, this offers up a 4 post option. In addition to a 4 post design, this RDA comes with a standard parallel dual coil deck, and also a series build deck. This makes it one of the more unique RDAs to hit the market for a while. The deck is easily the most exciting part of this RDA, but spoiler alert, it ain't no slouch either. Let’s get right to it eh?

DISCLAIMER: These devices were sent to me by Mass Mods for review

_____________________________________________________________________________________

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Axial Pro 25mm top cap

• 1 Parallel build deck

• 1 Series Build deck

• 1 Black 810 drip tip

• 1 Frosted 810 drip tip

• 1 Frosted 510 adapter

• 2 squonk pins (one for each deck)

• Spare o-rings and screws (lots of them)

• Hex Tool

• Paperwork

Top caps come in matte black and stainless steel.

PACKAGING
FhynWJ2.jpg

UNBOXED
maXKIWH.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________________

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

As an owner of the Axial RDA, I thought I knew what I was getting into. The Axial is a damn nice rda, but when I got this box, it proved to be much different. When I first opened the box, I found the parts well laid out in the box, with the AFC top, the barrel, and both build decks laid out for my eyes to take in. The machining of the RDA is very good, and the tolerances of the cap and decks are spot on. The only negative thing I found when I received mine was that the posts were a little bit loose, which was easily solved by tightening them up with a screwdriver. Now back to some things that wowed me a bit, the spare parts bag. I was happy to find that they pulled out all the stops and provided 2 810 drip tips, a 510 adapter, 2 squonk pins, and a boatload of spare screws and o-rings. They didn’t skimp on the extras at all. It’s one thing to provide two decks, but another to provide all the parts needed for two fully functional decks, including a squonk pin in each. They did a great job with building up the hype based on what you get in the box, so let’s dig into how the rest of it works out.

BUILD DECK

I should more or less call this section build decks, as this comes with two. This is the big selling point of this RDA in my opinion. I personally have never gotten into series builds, but that is 100% contributed to how much of a pain it is to get all of the right wire to make series builds in a standard parallel deck. This Axial Pro takes that completely away when they made the series deck for this one. It builds the same as the regular deck, but instead of dividing resistance, you add them up, making for the easiest way to gain high resistance for use on stacked mechanical mods. If you are running this on a regulated device, it probably isn’t something to get excited about, and both will essentially vape the same if you build for the same wattage. Other than the simple series design, you are getting a run of the mill postless build deck. It has large openings and is very easy to build on. I found that it worked best when the air flow was centered on the bottom third of the coil. Wicking this is also very simple. I left my wicks just long enough to be a hair off the bottom of the deck and it worked well dripping or squonking.

When compared to the original, which had just two posts, this is a breeze to work with. That one took some time to get right with coil length and placement, but the Pro is much more user friendly.

AIR FLOW

The airflow on the Axial Pro is similar to the Axial. It has dual air flow which locks into place in front of the coil. You have the choice of running a wide “cyclops” style air flow, or if you keep spinning the top part of the cap, 3 smaller holes. These openings are larger than the 23mm Axial before it, which in turn results in more air flow of course. I think they went this route, knowing many would run hotter series builds, and it compliments higher wattage vaping much more than the older Axial. As far as how this air flow feels, it’s damn smooth. I preferred the 3-hole openings wide open and it was perfect for how I like to vape RDAs. If you happen to run a hotter build, the cyclops will offer more air flow and cool it down a bit. My only con with the air flow is that the top cap does lock into place, so if you close down the cyclops or drop down to 1 or 2 holes being open, it no longer is centered on your coil and can result in reduced flavor. I guess it was lucky for me that I liked it with all 3 wide open and this was not an issue.

PHOTO GALLERY

AXIAL PRO ALBUM

i2DbVjw.jpg

Jjn5L4y.jpg

vfswNtC.jpg

4FdU3oi.jpg

4FdU3oi.jpg

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
HOW IT VAPES / FINAL THOUGHTS

Alright, so I already gushed about how great the deck situation is. I gushed about how easy it was to build and wick. I even talked about how the air flow is nice and smooth, but how is the flavor? It’s excellent. With the coils placed up a little higher, this produces about as good of flavor as you can get from any other RDA, and I found it be extra top notch when used with creamier liquids or dessert flavors. Sweet or fruity flavors seemed a hair better on the original Axial with it’s super condensed chamber, but this Axial Pro is no slouch in flavor town. I had such a hard time finding cons when using this and have really fallen in love with it. I am now using it as much as my beloved Asgard Mini, which was so good I bought 3. Speaking of the Asgard Mini, if you own one, the beauty rings fit on the Axial Pro making it a great looking 28mm atomizer. I actually wish they would have included a beauty ring bumping it out to 28, as the original was 23mm bumping it out to 25mm. The look of a beauty ring with the shape of the atomizer just looks great, and it is one of the few things I will nitpick on it. Like I said above, the air flow does lock into place, so if you can’t find a happy place with air flow wide open with full cyclops or 3 holes, flavor may drop a bit as the air flow is off center. Another con with this might be the price for some. If you are not going to take advantage of series builds, I can see many just loving this for a dual coil, traditional RDA. However, there is a lot to be said for including so much in the box for its price. It could easily be something you buy for parallel coil use, and out of curiosity you want to try series. There is hands down NO other RDA out there that is better made for trying out series. It is so easy to get the right build, and I found it fun to try new things. Hell, I even went out and snagged a Vaperz Cloud Saga series box just to test the series deck out for ya’ll and found it to be a rewarding setup.

Let’s get down to the real deal though, should you buy this? Yes, and no. If you think that maybe one day you want to try series builds with mechanical, easy yes. If you have no intentions of going series, maybe not? It is not a super budget friendly RDA, but you get a lot of bang for your buck. For me, personally, I really like this RDA and am showing no signs of letting it sit on my shelf. I have one built and ready to go for squonking and the other sitting on top of my Saga with a series build. It’s a fun setup that is super versatile, comes with a lot of parts, and provides a flavorful vape that is super satisfying.

OVEN TEST – If this were to accidentally fall into the pizza oven, would I go out and get another? Yes I would.

PROS

• Includes two build decks

• Smooth airflow

• Easy to build

• Easy to wick

• Provides great flavor

• Has lots of spare parts

• Simplistic, yet sexy top cap

• Great tolerances of the o-rings

CONS

• Price point is kind of high (justified by all that is in the box)

• Decks were loose upon arrival (easy fix)

• Airflow is fixed in place, and off center when closed down

• They should have included a 28mm beauty ring (please do so Mass Mods)

Thank you everyone and thank you to Mass Mods for sending this my way for review. These are starting to pop up online for about $75. Just be cautious that you are looking at the PRO and not the older Axial.

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great review. Will definitely put this on the list

VU Sponsors