Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - A Squonk Kit Review - The Aegis Squonk by Geekvape

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

_____________________________________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Everyone and welcome to Pizza Dave’s Vape Reviews and today I will be reviewing the Aegis Squonk by Geekvape. This is one of the latest Aegis mods to hit the market and is the first squonker Geekvape has released since the Gbox 200 almost 2 years ago. Blending the Aegis’ rugged designs with a squonker sounds like an excellent idea to me, so let’s see if Geekvape nailed it! Let’s get right to it eh?

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Geekvape for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Aegis Squonker mod
  • 1 Tengu RDA
  • 1 Squonking portion
  • 1 Spare Squonk bottle
  • 1 Standard mod portion
  • 1 Battery door tool (which I confused as a coiling rod????)
  • 1 Spare parts bag
  • 1 T-handle tool
  • 1 Low profile 810 Drip Tip
  • 1 Ultem 810 Drip Tip
  • 2 .4-ohm N80 fused claptons
  • 2 agletted cotton
  • 1 Micro USB cable
  • Paperwork

- Available in black frames with colored accents in the following colors. Blue, Black, Red, Green, and Silver.

STOCK SHOT
BkMGRwu.jpg

PACKAGING
03gFD0s.jpg

UNBOXED
jd1u9GV.jpg

MOD OVERVIEW

• Measurements – 86.4mm x 41.2mm x 31.5mm
  • Output – 5-100w
  • Battery – Single 18650
  • Squonk Bottle Capacity – 10mL
  • Misc. – This device can be setup to function as a squonker or a single battery mod.

OPERATION

If you have ever used an Aegis mod in the past, just go ahead and skip this section. The AS-100 chipset in this device is the exact same as previous single battery Aegis mods. This is copy and pasted from my Aegis Solo review.

BUTTON COMBOS

• 5 clicks of the fire button will turn it on and off.
  • Pressing fire and up or down will adjust brightness.
  • Pressing the fire button three times will highlight the mode on screen. This can then by cycled with the up and down keys.

• Power
  • Bypass
  • VPC – variable power curve
  • TC – TCR
  • TC – Ti
  • TC-SS
  • TC-Ni

When in each mode, you can press the fire button and scroll down for a few more options. When the resistance is highlighted, it can be locked with the down button, and checked with the up button. In TC modes, the preheat wattage is the next option down, and it can go all the way to 100. Next up, TCR for dialing in the TC in TCR mode. Last on all modes is the puffs, which can be reset here by pressing up.

In the power curve mode, it offers 5 curve points separated by 1s increments.

MENU SYSTEM

There is no menu system on this device. It is all done by highlighting on screen options.

HOW IT VAPES

Alright, so how well did Geekvape nail this one? Basically, you are going to get Aegis Solo performance with a squonk bottle attached. It does wattage well and has a lot of options. However, TC is not very good with this. I just couldn’t dial it in at all. Maybe with a ton of fiddling with TCRs this could work, but it just didn’t work for me. With all that being said, let’s just take the time here to talk about other ins and outs with usage. First off, this is a compact squonker which feels super solid in the hand. I love the ergonomic nature of it, and this really grew on me. I had some serious doubts about this being a single 18650 squonker but found that when it was paired with a single coil atomizer, it could last me all day without issues. I didn’t even mind the screw off battery door, but there is one big glaring con. It has to do with the squonk bottle refill. I get where Geekvape was going (coattails of the topside) and designed a pretty cool top fill design. Simply slide the cap over and fill it up. However, all of my 60- or 100-mL bottles hit my rda, preventing me from filling with an RDA on the mod. Sometimes I could get away with just taking the top cap off, but often times I was taking the atomizer off for refills. It takes a lot of the convenience away and makes it almost pointless. Another thing Geekvape did was added the option to turn this into a single battery device and remove the squonk bottle all together. It is kind of a neat gimmick, but not really needed. I think, more than anything, they found that they needed a way to keep this device sealed for the IP67 rating and just came across this along the way. Not really a bad thing for people that may just want a mod and then dabble in squonking someday, though? One thing that is kind of a bitch on this device is the squonk bottle change. You first must remove the squonk section off the mod with the top two screws. Then pull some little plugs off the tip and remove the screws underneath. From there, the bottle can be popped out of the bottom. With a little bit of finesse, the new bottle can then be contorted into place and everything can be re-assembled. This is really the only good way to clean out the bottle, so I can see it being a bit of a pain if you use this with several different flavors.

TENGU RDA REVIEW

Alright, so I already gave this RDA a full review when it was a stand-alone product. I like this RDA and still use it frequently. However, it does not belong with this mod. This is a dual coil atomizer which requires one to basically top the Aegis Squonk out on power to get decent performance. It just doesn’t fit well with the Aegis Squonk, so kind of silly. Would have been neat to maybe see some sort of single coil variant of the Tengu to pair up with this, but hey, it is what it is.

PHOTO GALLERY

Aegis Squonk Album

4bdZLz1.jpg

jkDCZ16.jpg

FVpQ8za.jpg

jmEP5Sk.jpg

ttzyv3A.jpg

ByZJeJM.jpg

Adc8hSI.jpg

1fB8xBY.jpg

Mz4wsNg.jpg

XhxvoyL.jpg

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FINAL THOUGHTS

Alright, so how do I think Geekvape nailed the rugged squonker market? Considering this is the first of it’s kind, I would say they did pretty well. It works well when paired with single coil rdas and offers a rugged option with plenty of liquid capacity and just enough battery life to get through a workday. This might be the most rugged Aegis yet overall, because now that an RDA is on top, one doesn’t have to worry about glass breaking if they are extra hard on their devices. I didn’t find a whole lot to bitch about with this, and the stuff I did find wasn’t a TOTAL deal breaker. The first con I found is this dated screen is a bit too dark on sunny days. The second con is the lack of TC performance. Third and final con has to be the refill port issues I mentioned above. These are the top three things that I can say must be mentioned as they could push some people away. If you can get over those things you will find a compact, durable device which did everything that I needed it to do. I really do enjoy this, MUCH more than I thought I ever would. Being in the construction field, this device is right up my alley and seems like just the device those hard-working folks will fall in love with.

OVEN TEST

If I this were to accidentally fall into my pizza oven would I go out and get another? For now, yes, as it is the only squonker on the market built for abuse.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROS
  • Compact form factor
  • Durable design
  • Decent wattage performance
  • 10mL capacity

CONS

• Refill port doesn’t allow room for bigger bottles
  • Screen is too dim
  • TC performance is like…non-functional
  • Squonk bottle is kind of a pain to change or remove for cleaning

Thank you all for reading and thank you to Geekvape for sending this my way for review. I am seeing the kits listed for about $100 and the mod only going for roughly $75.

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors