Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - A Pod System Review - The Orion Plus by Lost Vape

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone, Pizza Dave here, delivering you a review of the Orion Plus pod system by Lost Vape. This is essentially a slightly updated version of the original Orion. This features the DNA Go chipset, but it has some updated firmware. Other changes this time around include stab wood side panels as well as updated pods which have replaceable coils. I was never an Orion user, so my experience with this is stand alone and not going to be much of a comparison to the original. Let’s get right to it eh?

DISCLAIMER: This device and liquid was sent to me by Lost Vape for review.

ANNOUNCEMENT: We all know that there are regulations in the works between the Trump administration and the FDA. I am going to continue on with these reviews and be optimistic that this brings the truth to light in these dark times. I want to reach out to this great community and voice that the time is now for us to band together and stand against the bans we all fear. Please visit and sign this petition, but please do not stop there. Reach out to anyone you can in legislation, flood the white house call line, flood Trump’s twitter, and keep fighting together. We can’t lose steam when the headlines slow down. We need to be strong; we need to be persistent, and we need to be doing this TOGETHER. Power comes in numbers, and we have the numbers. I just have one reminder during all of this. Please be respectful, be courteous, and hold conversations about this issue with dignity and positive vibes only. Negativity is not the answer and putting down those who are proponents only makes us look worse as a group. Alright… that is all I am going to have for advocacy today…let’s get back to the review!

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Orion Plus Device
  • 1 2ml pod
  • 1 .25-ohm mesh coil
  • 1 .5-ohm SS round-wire coil
  • 1 Micro-usb charging cable
  • 1 Lanyard
  • Paperwork

Available in several new colors, with almost too many too list. Frames come in silver, black, blue, and gold. Inlays are available in carbon fiber, resin, and stab wood.

STOCK SHOT
fnJRMgZ.jpg

SAMPLE PACKAGING
d5xgmic.jpg

OUT OF BOX
MbG6sPR.jpg

DETAILS

• Measures 93mm x 37mm x 13.5mm
  • Battery – 950mah
  • Capacity – 2ml
  • Pod Type – Replaceable coil (.25 and .5-ohm)
  • Output – 5 levels with max of 22w

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

First impression was that this comes in one ugly box, lol. The bright yellow packaging looks cheap and really takes away from the initial experience. Once of my favorite aspects of getting Lost Vape products in the past was their premium packaging. It is silly, I know, but it made me feel like I had something special. Packaging aside, upon opening it up, I then felt that great feeling of something that looks great. The blue frame, and sexy stab wood of my sample are rather impressive. It is easily the nicest looking pod system I have used to date. Since I had not used an Orion before, I elected to hit the manual right away. I found that it s well laid out and includes everything you need to know before getting started. There is a lot to remember, so I suggest reading the manual before use, just to ensure you set it up the way you want.

OPERATION

Alright, so the operation of this one is a little trickier than a basic pod system. Keep in mind that this is a DNA Go chip, so it is customizable if the factory settings are not up to snuff with where you want them. This has 5 output levels, also adjustable via eScribe, as well as 5 battery indications. The colors of these can be customized for your preference. Without getting too deep in eScribe, this is the general operation of this device. 5 clicks of the fire button to lock and unlock the device. It never REALLY shuts off. Pressing the adjustment button located on the bottom of the side will change power levels. These power levels vary depending on the coil installed, but essentially, they are as follows.

• White – Level 1
  • Blue – Level 2
  • Red – Level 3
  • Yellow – Level 4
  • Purple – Level 5

If you choose to run this device in replay, simply hold down the adjustment button after you draw your “perfect puff” will save that output for a consistent vape every time. This is what I still refer to as a dumbed down version of temp control.

The last thing to really understand about this device are the battery indications. These area viewable with two taps of the fire button.

• Red – 0-15%
  • Orange – 15-30%
  • Yellow – 30-70%
  • Green – 70-95%
  • Light Blue – 95-100%

It isn’t overly complicated to use, but with 5 different colors of output and 5 indicators of battery, they get a bit confusing. I think they should have kept the colors the same, making high power and full battery the same color, and stepping them down as you go. That would make it easier to remember. Like I said before, this is adjustable via eScribe, so tune it to your liking if you have the means.

PODS

The pods on the Orion plus are one of the biggest updates from the original. This time around, the coils are replaceable. To remove, unscrew the drip tip portion slightly then push it toward the pod. The coils are VERY snug and hard to remove. When you place a new one in, I recommend rubbing a little bit of e-liquid on the edges to help it slide in and out. Other than this change, the pods are also a little bit clearer to see through which is a pro. The refill method is still a large fill cap, which has a removeable cap. It is great for refilling, but it is a tiny cap, which I could see getting lost easily.

MISCELLANEOUS PHOTOS

d4prcU0.jpg

WpP9IZr.jpg

mbCnbVc.jpg

Fn2Jt2d.jpg

dF3xBdk.jpg

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
HOW IT VAPES / FINAL THOUGHTS

Alright, so I have a feeling the biggest question people will ask with this is if it is worth buying if you have the original. There are a few changes made to the firmware, which cane be done yourself via eScribe, but for those without a computer this is the only way to get the updated firmware. Other than the firmware change, the only big thing is the looks. The pods are updated, but they are compatible with older devices, not necessitating the purchase of the entire device. I do recommend these pods as well. The addition of a mesh coil is a pro. Flavor is top notch and coil life appears to be decent. I had some major coil killing liquid in mine and got 5 refills in (5 workdays) before it wasn’t wicking as well and was giving me some fits when chain vaping it. I don’t know anything about the previous pods, other than people mentioning they didn’t last very long. One thing I did find with the mesh is my usual 35mg salt was too strong for me. It is one of the first times I felt like I was getting too much nicotine from a pod system. I had to go for 25mg salt or 12mg freebase to ensure I wasn’t getting too much for my enjoyment. Other things I noted while vaping is that this isn’t really dialed in for a tight MTL draw. It definitely shines as a tight direct lung or loose MTL, whichever way you look at it. Even with the AFC turned way down, it doesn’t feel right. However, I still found myself thoroughly enjoying the vape I got off of it.

In summary, there are a ton of things to like about the Orion Plus. First off, it is gorgeous and has a premium feel to it. It is also super compact and pocket friendly. Add in the fact that it has 5 output modes, 5 levels of battery indication, and ability to fine tune with eScribe and this is one feature packed device. I found a few small things to gripe about though. One is the refill cap which I mentioned before. It is small, making it difficult for those with large hands or disabilities. It is also small enough to get lost during refills. The air flow ring on the tip is quite snug, making air flow adjustments a pain at first. I say at first, because once you have it where you want it, it stays put and isn’t touched again, but still is an annoyance right away. The last con is with build quality. I found that pressing on the sides of the stab wood made them squish down and feel kind of sticky with the surface below. It ruins an otherwise solid feeling device. Even with these cons I mentioned, I still think this is a good pod system. Flavor is good, it looks great, and the replaceable coils are a big plus compared to the original model. If you kind of wanted to get an Orion and just didn’t, the time is now to pick one up.

THE OVEN TEST

If this one accidentally went into the pizza oven, would I go out and buy another? Even at the price point, this is something I want to keep using and will for sure be getting more coils to keep mine going.

PROS

• Good flavor
  • Looks gorgeous
  • Lots of color options
  • 5 level battery indication
  • 5 levels of output
  • Adjustable via eScribe
  • Pods are locked into device
  • Compact size
  • Refill port is large

CONS

• Coils are very snug in the pods
  • AFC is a bit too tight
  • Refill plug is tiny
  • Build quality is questionable with the squishy side panels

Thank you all for reading this review and thank you to Lost Vape for sending this my way for review. I am seeing this online for about $60-75.

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors