Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - A Mod Review - The Shogun Univ by iJoy

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

_____________________________________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Everyone and welcome to Pizza Dave’s Vape Reviews. Today I will be going over the Shogun Univ by iJoy. The Shogun is one of the latest devices to be released from iJoy. It has been out for a while, so I guess I am getting to this a bit late. The Shogun is a dual 18650 device with a maximum output of 200w and features dual sided resin panels, unlike another famous mod you may all think of when you see this. I didn’t get the kit, so this is a mod only review. Let’s not wait around and get right to it, and as always, I will have my final thoughts down at the bottom.

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Buybest for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• iJoy Shogun 180w mod
  • Micro usb cable
  • Paperwork

- Available with a black frame and several different colored resin panels as seen in the stock shot below. There are some other models coming out now as well which have different colored frames and resin.

STOCK SHOT
Cwc8t4g.jpg

PACKAGING
T3PRMvP.jpg

UNBOXED
9KUZoG2.jpg

MOD OVERVIEW

Like I said above, the iJoy Shogun is a dual external 18650 device. It reaches a maximum wattage of 180w and features other modes of operation such as temperature control, curve modes, and features a decent-sized display for easy navigation. The star of the show with this mod is the resin panels. They are a thick, colorful resin, but these are not swappable with other panels, unless you choose to change out the battery door side and leave the other side stock. Out of the box, I was wildly impressed with the look of this mod. The finish feels nice, the resin feels supple, and the buttons all are nice and clicky. Another bonus that jumped out right away is the centered 510 pin, which is an obvious pro in my opinion. The centered 510 pin will also support up to a 28mm atomizer with no overhang.

____________________________________________________________________________________

OPERATION

With the inclusion of a .96” screen, navigation and operation of this device is a breeze. I like the way the main display and menu systems are displayed and found that it was a simple device to power up out of the gate and navigate freely with no need to scroll through the manual. There are a few quirks to some of the menu and operation settings like many mods have, and I will touch on these lightly now.

BUTTON COMBOS

The first, and most common of several mods out there is 5 clicks of the fire button will turn the device on and off. Pressing the up and down buttons together briefly will lock the entire device out, performing a long press will read the resistance of the attached atomizer. The last button combo to know is 3 clicks of the fire button enters the menu system.

MENU SYSTEM

The menu system on the Shogun isn’t bad at all. Sure, the icons are abbreviations, but it is easy to figure out as you go.

• P – Power Mode
  • T – Temp. control for Ni, Ti, SS, Memory 1, and Memory 2.
  • Pod – voltage output for use with pods via the iJoy pod adapter that is included with some other tanks/kits made by them.
  • 3 lines – Preheat levels of normal, hard, soft, and user. User is essentially a curves mod with 6 adjustment points
  • TCR – just as it says, this is temperature control with user adjustable TCR settings
  • Set – This screen allows you to reset puffs and screen timeout levels

HOW IT VAPES

I tested out the shogun with a wide variety of atomizers during testing. A few different rdas, a few rtas, a tank, and even an mtl tank, and found that it worked well with all of the above. It is somewhat expected these days that, me, as a wattage vapor can be relatively pleased with most of the performance that the latest Chinese mods can produce. The ramp up time is about right, and when put into high preheat, it ramps up very fast. The power output feels on par with what it says it should do, and I like that iJoy isn’t overcompensating and claiming to have a 220w mod. For all of the TC fans out there, it should be noted that it did pretty dang good here as well. With a rda and a dual round wire SS build, the temperature control feels smooth and it cuts the power down plenty early to prevent infamous dry hits. Cotton was only lightly browned, which is a lot better than other recent mods I have tested. I can safely say that I think iJoy nailed the chip on this one quite well, and it did everything that I wanted it to do. Just to add to how it vapes, I want to say what it was like to use it. The size, weight, and overall feel of the mod fits my hands brilliantly, and I found myself with a heavy desire to keep using this mod over and over again.

PHOTO GALLERY

ydZF7D1.jpg

SyAe83I.jpg

hLtqje2.jpg

vhzoaWV.jpg

ojUJti4.jpg

WbXVpRb.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS

So yeah, I gushed about this mod for this entire review. I feel like there isn’t much to dislike about it. Some of the only cons I can come up with regarding this one is the weight, and the way the up and down buttons navigate the menu. The weight, for me isn’t really a con, but I can see this being an issue for some. It has some heft to it, and it is definitely noticeable when in a pocket. The up and down buttons seem backwards to me in the menu. I found myself hitting the wrong button at times to scroll through options, and there are moments in the menu where one would think the fire button is like “enter”, but instead, you must press the up button. One small con I resolved was that the resin battery door moved around a lot at first. I found this was due to the battery strap being too long and it overlapped itself on the front of the left battery. I snipped it down, and the door fell much more firmly into place. These few little cons are all I could come up with. The mod feels great, looks great, and works well. The screen is bright and easy to see. The menu, other than the wonky up/down as mentioned above, is simple to navigate and easy to figure out. Another big pro is the centered 510 pin, as I love when a mod is more symmetrical. I really dig this mod, and of the handful of resin accented mods to come out from China, this one is my favorite.

OVEN TEST

If I this were to accidentally fall into my pizza oven would I go out and get another? For sure. I will be using this mod a ton.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROS

• Looks great
  • Feels great in hand
  • Easy to use
  • Centered 510 pin
  • Nice color options
  • Easy to read screen
  • TC works well

CONS

• Bit on the heavy side
  • Up/Down button navigation in the menu seems backwards

Thank you all for reading and thank you to Buybest for sending it my way for review. I am seeing this in the $40-50 range for the mod only. Buybest lists it for $38.49.

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors