Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - A Mech Mod Review - The Tauren Max by Thunderhead Creations

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

_____________________________________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Everyone and welcome to Pizza Dave’s Vape Reviews and today I will be sharing my thoughts on the Tauren Max mechanical tube mod by Thunderhead Creations. This device is the latest in Thunderhead Creation’s Tauren line of devices. I have never had my hands on their products, so I didn’t really know what to expect. Essentially, what you have here is a single battery mechanical mod, which operations with an 18650 (with adapter), 20700, or 21700 batteries. It features all brass construction, has a constant contact fire button, and also has a locking function. This won’t have a whole lot to cover, so let’s get right to it eh?

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Sourcemore for review.

WHAT YOU GET
  • 1 Tauren Max mechanical tube mod
  • 1 18650 battery adapter
  • 1 Fire button disassembly tool
  • Paperwork

- All models are of brass construction, and are available in black, gunmetal, white, green, red, gold, and brass finishes.

STOCK SHOT
sL83Day.jpg

PACKAGING
SD1TEdW.jpg

UNBOXED
C4PbfOF.jpg

MOD OVERVIEW

• 25mm x 96mm
  • Top is necked down to 24mm, but 25mm still don’t overhang badly
  • 18650, 20700, or 21700 batteries
  • Brass construction
  • Constant Contact fire button
  • Locking fire button
  • Claims shock proof, dust proof and waterproof design, but let’s be real… do not test this theory and dunk a mech in water please!

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Well, right out of the gate I found that the initial experience of this device to be pleasant. I know it doesn’t speak for the device itself, but how it is presented is kind of unique in the fact that it comes in a metal tube that looks like a bigger mech mod stuffed into a little baggy with paperwork tucked along the side and the fire button tool down at the bottom. Within this tube, you don’t get much. You essentially will find the device itself with an 18650 adapter within the battery compartment. That is, it. No spare springs, or buttons…. Just a device. This surprised me a little, as many mechs these days at least come with a couple of parts. Like I would recommend for all mech users, I performed an initial tear down of the device. I grabbed that little tool and took apart the fire button. It essentially has two small divots for this tool to grab, and a peek insulator around the contact begins to thread outward. There isn’t a ton of spring pressure behind it, but I would recommend hanging on to it to prevent it from popping off prematurely. Inside the fire button there is a spring, some pie shaped plates, and they mate up to a ball which is on the constant contact portion. This is all caked in dielectric grease or something similar. It looked very sketchy, and I questioned how it would perform. Regardless, it appeared to all be in good order, so I reassembled and tossed a rda on top with a .14-ohm build and inserted a Samsung 30T battery. Away we go.

HOW IT VAPES

Damn… after looking at the inside and that fire button, I seriously questioned how hard it would hit. I was surprised by the performance out of the gate with this. It delivered consistent power with good contact on every press of the fire button. It feels great in hand too as it has some curves that fall right into my hand perfectly. The fire button itself has a solid amount of tension without being too stiff. It also has enough tension to be placed on the fire button and not fire under the weight of a rda and 21700 battery within. Speaking of this fire button, I mentioned the locking function earlier. As you tighten the button into place, it will click past a certain point once snug. It has a notable feel when this happens. At this point, the button is locked, and it will not fire. Turn it back just a smidge, and you can feel it “click” again. From here, you are ready to use. It is a solid feature that I enjoy on this one. Other notes about the fire button is how it looks. Since this fire button does not utilize an auto tension system like some other companies use with flush buttons, the amount of button you see sticking down depends on the batteries. I ran it with both 20700 and 21700 batteries, and it does stick down 1mm further with the longer batteries. This might be a con for some, but I never found it to make any difference to me.

PHOTO GALLERY

DI9EXl4.jpg

R0dWiZw.jpg

kSfteuw.jpg

7nS1QvK.jpg

QuXs3pc.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS

Overall, I will stick by what I said at first puff, and that is damn. I have used the absolute heck out of this mech and found it to be a solid little device for something that is not that expensive. Overall build quality seems to be decent, with no failures or even noticeable arcing inside the constant contact switch (see photo gallery pic here for what it looks like after my guess of 1500-2000 operations). There is little that I can pic apart on this other than some real nitpicky stuff. For one, I think the polished Tauren logo on all of them looks cheap and overall cheapens the look of the device. Secondly, the inside of the button, while function, still looks kind of wonky to me. Another nitpicky thing is the 24mm tapered top. I ran mine with a 25mm on top and it didn’t look bad, but I can see some people not enjoying that little bit of overhang. The last con is the lack of spare parts. I would have at least liked to see a spare spring to keep this thing going for a little longer lifespan. Other than these few things, there isn’t much I can fault on it. It feels great in the hand, it hits decent, and it has a nice feeling, locking fire button. Overall, this is a mech that I myself will continue to keep on using and enjoying.

OVEN TEST

If I this were to accidentally fall into my pizza oven would I go out and get another? Yes, but it would be the white one. Just looks sexy to me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROS

• Nicely built, solid feeling
  • Shape feels great in hand
  • Constant contact switch so no arc marks on your battery
  • Locking fire button, which makes this a bit safer
  • Nice throw and pressure on the fire button
  • Comes in quite a few colors, which doesn’t happen often with mechs

CONS

• Tauren logo is polished or painted oddly, and looks cheap
  • Tapered top so 24mm is all that fits flush
  • Fire button guts seem a bit on the odd side, but so far, they do work

Thank you all for reading and thank you to Sourcemore for sending this my way for review. They have these listed for $132.

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors