Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - A Kit Review - The Cube X by OBS

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

_____________________________________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Everyone and welcome to Pizza Dave’s Vape Reviews and today I will be going over the Cube X by OBS. This is the following up to their original Cube, which had a built-in battery. This time around, they listened to reviewers and users, which all requested the use of an external battery. While I didn’t review the original, this appears to be about the same thing, but with that new addition. Let’s get right to it eh?

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Healthcabin for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Cube X mod
  • 1 Cube X sub-ohm tank w/ 4ml bubble glass
  • 1 .2-ohm single mesh coil
  • 1 .15-ohm triple mesh coil
  • Spare straight glass (2ml)
  • Spare O-rings
  • 1 Micro-usb cable
  • Paperwork

- Available in a few different patterns with a black frame, but there is also a silver and gunmetal frame option. My same is the one titled gunmetal, and it features a chrome honeycomb pattern.

STOCK SHOT
OjLXagZ.jpg

PACKAGING
Knz2NTF.jpg

UNBOXED
Flp65ZT.jpg

MOD OVERVIEW

• Measurements – 88.5mm x 30.5mm x 30.5mm
  • Output – 5-80w
  • Battery – Single 18650
  • Atomizer range – 26mm without overhanging the top plate
  • Other notables – Scrolls in 1-watt increments and round robins

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Out of the box, I was instantly digging the design. I was able to see why many enjoyed the original Cube for it’s size, comfort, and unique square shape. I love the simple display, large fire button, and overall construction of the device. Since this one uses a removable battery, this now has a locking, hinging battery door on the bottom. It latches securely and feels quite robust, so I don’t see this being an issue over time.

OPERATION

The OBS Cube X is a super simple device to simply pick up and use. It is a power only device and has no menu system. 5 clicks of the fire button turn the device on and off. The only other thing to press is for wattage adjustment. One unique features are that the adjustment buttons automatically lock as soon as the fire button is pressed too. That being said, pressing the up OR down button three times will unlock the buttons and allow you to scroll through wattage in 1-watt increments. Scrolling is fast and the buttons feel clicky and responsive. It is soooo easy to just pick up and start using, and for being so simple, it is all done very well.

HOW IT VAPES

I will start out by saying that I never had the original to compare to, and ALL of my testing for this one was done with the included atomizer. The pairing that they came up with works well together and it fires quickly and has enough output to power the mesh coils of the included tank. Out of the gate, power output is great, and it creates a notable boost in the beginning of each vape. As the battery starts to drop down though, the enjoyment goes down as well. I found myself changing out the battery part way through the workday in order to power the atomizer well enough. The battery bar was showing 3 out of 5 bars when I changed it out and it is a HUGE bump in output going back. One has to remember that without a boost chip, the output that this can provide is only as good as the voltage of the battery. For example, with the .18-ohm single coil at 65w, I need at least 3.42V to achieve an enjoyable vape. Once the battery is getting even close to that 3.42v level, ramp up diminishes and so does the flavor and vapor.

CUBE TANK REVIEW

The tank that is included is a decent pairing with this device. I couldn’t get through a full day on a single battery, but it was close to the end of my workday. Flavor from both the single and triple mesh are good, with the triple being a tiny bit better, but with a little more restriction. Both of them were ran around 60-65w, so it didn’t really change the battery life between the two. The air flow is kind of noisy and turbulent, but other than that I don’t have a ton of bad to say about it. It is a run of the mill tank in terms of design, which offers better flavor than many other tanks included in kits and it also matches the mod perfectly. I am not sure which other coils may be compatible, but as soon as I find out, I will post (unless some of you may know! :p)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TANK PROS

• Good Flavor
  • Matches the device well
  • Comfortable low-profile 810 tip

TANK CONS

• Top cap gets a little loose over time
  • Air flow seems a bit noisy

PHOTO GALLERY

Cube X Album
AjSkCMQ.jpg

PHwfZTF.jpg

J9jOdYl.jpg

nfD4F7O.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS

Alright, so what do I think of this little kit? This is a one-off review, having no previous experience with a Cube before, so that being said, I dig it. It is simple to use, very compact, looks great, and has excellent build quality. There is only one way that this could be better…. 21700 battery. If it had that, this would be one of my top kits for the year. Battery life drop off, coupled with the lack of performance from an 18650 as that drops off, leads to a less than stellar performer when it comes to output. When the battery is topped off though, this thing is excellent. The tank has great flavor and ramps up very quick as well. The one word that can sum up the whole kit is COMFORT. The mod is comfortable and so is that little domed drip tip. This is a nice little setup for on the go, and it has very little cons other than battery capacity and a little bit of turbulent air flow on the tank. If those two things aren’t deal breakers for you, snag one up. Hopefully, they come out with a 21700 version, as that would be excellent, but until then…. this is what we’ve got.

OVEN TEST

If I this were to accidentally fall into my pizza oven would I go out and get another? No…. but let’s pray for a single 21700 version in the future!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROS

• Comfortable
  • Compact
  • Simple
  • Responsive
  • 1-watt scrolling
  • Auto-lock function for adjustment buttons
  • Removable 18650 battery (better than original built in IMO)
  • The tank matches the mod beautifully

CONS

• Single 18650 doesn’t last all day
  • Output struggles as the battery dwindles

Thank you all for reading and thank you to Healthcabin for sending this my way for review. They have them listed for $43.59 with some units left in stock.

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors