Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - A Kit Review - The Aegis X by Geekvape

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

_____________________________________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Everyone and welcome to Pizza Dave’s Vape Reviews and today I will be reviewing the Aegis X Kit. This is the latest of many solid Aegis devices from Geekvape and is essentially a tweaked Aegis Legend with an added massive screen. Beyond that, there are a few other things that have changed as well. The Legend is still one of my favorite mods to date, so let’s see if the X stands up to its predecessors! Let’s get right to it eh?

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Geekvape for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Aegis X Mod
  • 1 Cerberus Sub-ohm tank
  • 2 KA1 .20-ohm single mesh coils
  • 1 Spare parts Bag
  • 1 Spare Straight Glass
  • Spare plugs bag
  • Paperwork

Available in Red/Black, Silver/Black, Green/Black, Gunmetal/Camo, Rainbow/Black, All Black, Gold/Black, and Orange/Black.

STOCK SHOT
VQQgf4f.jpg

PACKAGING
eoofnUo.jpg

cAEK36m.jpg

UNBOXED
ZFALjEy.jpg

MISC. INFO

• Measurements – 90mm x 56.1mm x 31.3mm
  • Battery – Dual 18650
  • Wattage Range – 5-200w
  • Temp. Range – 200-600F
  • Materials – Zinc-Alloy and Rubber protective exterior
  • Rating – IP67 for water, dust, and shock protection
  • Notable feature – 2.4” full color display

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Well, to start off, Geekvape really outdid themselves with reviewer samples. They shipped this out in a large Pelican style case. This is really really cool and shows an extra level of excitement from the manufacturer. Upon opening the case, I found that the Aegis looked about the same as my previous few legends with just slight changes to the side. However, once it is removed from the box, that massive 2.6” screen is revealed and that is where this gets really cool. I couldn’t wait to pop batteries in this thing, and as I did so, I was greeted by a lovely animation followed up by a super bright and clear LED screen. Of all the devices I tested this year, this might have taken the cake for the level of excitement it built out of the box.

OPERATION

We all know that the Aegis series of devices are super simple to use, and they have never had an actual menu system. This is entirely different with the X, so with that comes a bit of a learning curve. I will break this down as neatly as I can.

• 5 clicks of the fire button turn the device on and off
  • 3 clicks of the fire button highlights the top portion of the screen, which has 4 memory modes to flip through. Clicking the fire button once will highlight the next portion of the screen for the mode you want in that given memory setting.
  • Power – Wattage mode, with optional preheats of soft, standard, and powerful
  • TC SS
  • TC NI
  • TC Ti
  • TC TCR
  • Bypass
  • Wattage Curve

There is a ton of fiddling that can then be done within each of these modes. There are different preheats in power mode, the TC modes have adjustable wattage up to 200, and there is adjustable TCR and customizable curves. There is quite a bit to play with here. Beyond these settings, which were the same on the Legend, this device also has an actual Menu.

• Click the fire button 3 times to highlight the mode on top. From this point, press the up and down buttons together to access the main menu, which will reveal the following points.
  • Auto – this automatically adjusts to the resistance of the atomizer and can be turned on and off
  • Theme – This is where you can select between three different layouts of the main screen
  • Color – Adjusts color of the screen
  • Version – Shows the firmware of the device
  • ABB – Apparently this is “automatic battery balancing” and is made to evenly discharge cells, but don’t quote me on that one.
  • Reset – Reset back to factory

• Other little things to note. Pressing the fire and up or down buttons turn up and down the brightness (same as other Legends). Pressing up and down together will lock or unlock the adjustment buttons.

I know it seems like a lot to remember, but it honestly is laid out really well and is a breeze to use. The screen size ensures you can read everything clearly as well, so big pro there.

____________________________________________________________________________________

HOW IT VAPES

Ok, so let’s see if this performs any different than other Aegis devices. This has an updated chip, and of course, the large screen. There are several points that are upgraded here and here is a quick summary.

Wattage Mode – When combined with sub-ohm tanks or RTAs, I found the power output to be excellent. With the added benefit of a powerful preheat, this ramps up much faster than previous Aegis Legend devices and makes it more enjoyable in my opinion.

TC Mode – I tested this with a SS316L dual coil, round-wire build. I did not play with TCR settings but found that the factory SS setting does not vape good at all. I wasn’t getting ANY output from this. It would lightly sizzle right away, and then all power was cut off. Unless there is a firmware update, or someone can setup TCR better, I would pass on this for temp. control vaping.

I typically do a writeup on included tanks, but I won’t do it with the Cerberus. This has been out for over a year and was included with the original Legend. It is a decent sub-ohm tank, which vapes fine. It isn’t amazing, but it works.

____________________________________________________________________________________

PHOTO GALLERY

kMx0vd1.jpg

zFOJcKv.jpg

8RWeuaA.jpg

teoGHIN.jpg

AZQAieW.jpg

g8PBfth.jpg

7VgAPkq.jpg

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

FINAL THOUGHTS

As I have said time and time again, the Legend series of devices are excellent, so where do I place the Aegis X? Well, I would put this thing right at the tippy top of the heap. There is so much good to say, and very little that I can say is bad. Let’s start off with what I like. One, that screen is legit and beautiful. It has plenty of adjustments to make it match your setup and the only con with the screen is the chance or showing light scratches in the thick plastic exterior. The second pro is the form factor. This is rounded off much more than previous Legends and it fits just perfect in the hand. Combine that with a lower fire button and that groove just below the fire button, and it is damn near perfect for a device this size. Number three is pretty obvious, but this is an Aegis, and with that comes a level of durability and ruggedness that many will find useful over time. I can probably keep finding things I love on this, but I should talk about the bad too. For one, like I said above, that screen does show some scratches and fingerprints. When illuminated you won’t even noticed, but they are there. The second con is that rubber. It is sticky and collects a lot of dust. Some of my legends didn’t do this, so I don’t know if it is a batch thing or a sample thing. The third con is the lack of TC function out of the box. I couldn’t get it to work well at all. The last con is the now tapered top plate, which limits the atomizer size to 28mm or so without major overhang. One thing I loved about the Legend was the ability to go big on top and we lost that here. Overall, there are so many good things that the Aegis X has going for it. The only people I can see being upset with it are the TC aficionados, and they are a limited group. I love this device and will keep on using this for a LONG…. LONG time.

OVEN TEST

If I this were to accidentally fall into my pizza oven would I go out and get another? Definitely. This is one of my favorite mods of 2019.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROS

• Solidly Built
  • Lots of functions/features
  • Love the display
  • Love the screen customizability
  • More rounded and better ergonomics than Aegis Legend
  • Built solid as hell with zero rattles

CONS

• Screen shows some light scuffing over time
  • Rubber can be a bit of a dust collector
  • Tapered top limits atomizers to 28mm (30m on Legend)
  • TC doesn’t work

Thank you all for reading and thank you to Geekvape for sending this my way for review. I am seeing the kits selling online for roughly $70.

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Thanks for the review, PD!

I don't use temp control, myself. At least so far. It's something with which I plan to experiment some day. Still: Personally, I don't know as I could place a mod that's supposed to do temp control, but apparently utterly fails at it, "right at the tippy top of the heap," no matter how good it was in other respects. I also find that a bit of a disconnect, being as the maker is Geek Vape, and, if there's anything geeky in vaping, I'd say temp control is right up there ;) It's doubly curious, being as the Legend originally had issues with TC. You'd think GV would've got it right this time.

VU Sponsors