Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - A Kit Review - The Aegis Solo by Geekvape

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

_____________________________________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Everyone and welcome to Pizza Dave’s Vape Reviews. Today I will be reviewing the Aegis Solo by Geekvape. This device is the 4th entry into the Aegis series of devices. As with the previous entries, this is a rugged mod. It is water resistant, dust proof, and shock proof. Durability is the name of the game with this one, so it is best in the hands of those that are clumsy or spend a lot of time in dirty environments. Let’s dive in and see what it’s like.

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Geekvape for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Aegis Solo 100w mod
  • 1 Cerberus sub-ohm tank
  • 2 .3-ohm x2 Mesh Coils
  • 1 Spare 4ml bubble glass
  • 1 Battery door tool
  • 1 Spare parts pack
  • Micro USB cable
  • Paperwork

- Available in several different black framed, black leather models with accents in rainbow, red, blue, orange, black, and gunmetal. If this is anything like their last Aegis mods, there will be others coming out as well.

STOCK SHOT
6DKe8uT.jpg

PACKAGING
2jI7962.jpg

UNBOXED
U9vZtyC.jpg

MOD OVERVIEW

Like I said above, the Aegis solo is another rugged model carrying the Aegis name. It is built solid but is one of the lightest in the series. One big factor here is that it houses a single 18650. I am against this to be honest, and would like to have seen a 21700 model, but it is what it is. At least this keeps it light. Along with the single cell, it will reach a maximum of 100w, has temp control, curve mode, and bypass modes. The display on this one is back to the two-tone black and white display as seen on the original Aegis and the mini. For firmware upgrades and battery charging on the go (not recommended, but works in a pinch), there is a USB port on the side behind a rubber cover.

OPERATION

This version of the Aegis features a chip that is nothing special in the world of Geekvape. It functions the same as several other devices and it easy to navigate. There are a few basic button presses to remember, but beyond that it is a breeze.

BUTTON COMBOS

• 5 clicks of the fire button will turn it on and off.
  • Pressing fire and up or down will adjust brightness.
  • Pressing the fire button three times will highlight the mode on screen. This can then by cycled with the up and down keys.
  • Power
  • Bypass
  • VPC – variable power curve
  • TC – TCR
  • TC – Ti
  • TC-SS
  • TC-Ni

• When in each mode, you can press the fire button and scroll down for a few more options. When the resistance is highlighted, it can be locked with the down button, and checked with the up button. In TC modes, the preheat wattage is the next option down, and it can go all the way to 100. Next up, TCR for dialing in the TC in TCR mode. Last on all modes is the puffs, which can be reset here by pressing up.
  • In the power curve mode, it offers 5 curve points separated by 1s increments.

MENU SYSTEM

There is no menu system on this device. It is all done by highlighting on screen options.

HOW IT VAPES

I will start off by mentioned that the majority of my use was done with the included Cerberus tank, but I also dove in a few other options. I ran an Intake RTA, Zlide tank, and a rda for testing temp control. The Solo offers enough power to get through a full day when it is paired with something within its realm. By this, I mean that you shouldn’t push the limits too much, or the battery will be drained a ton. I found that the included tank running at 45 is a full day device for me, but just barely. Bumping up wattage from here and you’ll need a spare battery to get through the day. With the intake at 55w, I also got just barely a full day. The zlide was an easy exception, as 22w didn’t drain it too terribly. Power output seems to be sufficient as long as the battery is at a decent level, but there is a noticeable drop in power output as it dwindles down. As for temperature control, I ran a round wire SS build, and it worked just OK. The vape was smooth and consistent each time, but when it came down to dry cotton, it didn’t taper off quick enough for me and I got a borderline dry hit. I did not play with TCR but think there is some hope with it for an average temp control vapor. Since this is a kit with the Cerberus tank, which I already reviewed, I am going to just defer here and send you over to by Aegis Legend review. I always felt like the Cerberus was just meh. The lower wattage coils in this don’t do it for me when compared to the coils that run over 60w and I found myself a bit disappointed in the flavor and vapor of it.

PHOTO GALLERY

0L0DLjG.jpg

FhjOEvB.jpg

qk6oK1o.jpg

IEGvnqA.jpg

ayxVlQx.jpg

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

FINAL THOUGHTS

So, what do I really think of the Aegis Solo? I honestly don’t know what to think. It has some good things going for it, but some less desirable things as well. To start off with good, it is compact and lightweight. It is probably one of my favorite single battery mods to come out, as it feels solid, it’s durable, and it is very pocket friendly. I could see someone really enjoying it when paired with an MTL atomizer for an all day vape. Color selection is awesome, and the overall Aegis look works great to me as well. All of the buttons feel nice, display is nice and bright, and the battery door opens and closes easily. However, with all good things comes some cons. My first con is the battery choice. With just a tiny bump in size and weight, this could have been a 21700 mod, bumping up battery longevity by a decent amount. A second con is the sticky rubber. I have had my hands on a few legends. Some are sticky, some are smooth. This one is kind of sticky and so it collects dust nonstop. Another con is the top plate. It looks to be made for 30mm atomizers, but who in their right mind is going to rock something that big on a single 18650, 100w mod? The last con I will toss in there is the included tank. Super disappointed with the Cerberus in this application. It just doesn’t stand out in the mesh-coil market, and so it doesn’t offer much for me. Most of the cons I mentioned are pretty minor in all honesty, but this is a niche device for people that want a durable single 18650. It won’t be for everyone, but for those who like this style, they will really like it.

OVEN TEST

If I this were to accidentally fall into my pizza oven would I go out and get another? No. I honestly am going to stick with my Jackaroo over this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROS

• Compact
  • Lightweight
  • Solidly Built
  • Nice color options

CONS

• Wide top plate looks funny with smaller atomizers
  • Rubber is sticky
  • Single 18650 doesn’t fit my vaping style well
  • Cerberus tank is meh

Thank you all for reading and thank you to Geekvape for sending this my way for review. If you are interested in picking one of these up, it will set you back about $45 for the kit.

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors