Become a Patron!

Photo edit - 1mb limit

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
A thousand times yes! I can do that with Paint, but I like that idea Hobby. Plus, I hate clogging up a page with super large photos.

I'm no photoshopper...

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Two words: image hosting.

On Imgur, I can edit, crop, even adjust images and post with various sized thumbnails...
They even have apps for Android and Apple.

Free account is great, no limits except the number of thumbnail options and how many images you can SEE in your account.
You can upload as much as you want however and they will be ok. Pro account is $24 a year, I pay bi-annually to soften the hit. ;)

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

On Imgur, I can edit, crop, even adjust images and post with various sized thumbnails...

Free account is great, no limits except the number of thumbnail options and how many images you can SEE in your account.
You can upload as much as you want however and they will be ok. Pro account is $24 a year, I pay bi-annually to soften the hit. ;)
It's a good idea. I'll remember this. But we also need something on the fly

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I also host all my photos.. but I use Photobucket. I keep my account set to private, noone sees them but me. I can crop, resize, add effects, add text... whatever I need to do to that photo.

I recommend when choosing a photo size for the forum... keep it to 650 or smaller

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I also host all my photos.. but I use Photobucket. I
keep my account set to private, noone sees them but me. I can crop, resize, add effects, add text... whatever I need to do to that photo.

I recommend when choosing a photo size for the forum... keep it to 650 or smaller

Yup, I do about the same, account set to Hidden. On Imgur, the Private setting ya wouldn't see anything, and Public is too risky.

On thumbnails, just remember that on a PC with a decent monitor, you're talking at least 1680x1050 resolution, likely higher. My brother uses a 40" LCD for a monitor and 32" is common.

I used Imgur's "large" thumbnails unless I'm posting more than 2-3 pics and they seem fine.

L3hbyD1l.jpg

640 x 383 pixels @ 42KB
If ya can't DL that in ≤ 1 second, you need a new ISP. ;-)

Last edited:

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Yup, I do about the same, account set to Hidden. On Imgur, the Private setting ya wouldn't see anything, and Public is too risky.

On thumbnails, just remember that on a PC with a decent monitor, you're talking at least 1680x1050 resolution, likely higher. My brother uses a 40" LCD for a monitor and 32" is common.

I used Imgur's "large" thumbnails unless I'm posting more than 2-3 pics and they seem fine.

L3hbyD1l.jpg

640 x 383 pixels @ 42KB
If ya can't DL that in ≤ 1 second, you need a new ISP. ;-)

The size of the photo you just posted on my screen reads 640 x 383 , I'm talking dimensions... not resolution...
The pic below is 600 x 337 ... So I think we are talking about the same size.
3fd81598-7471-4194-a9f9-fe6498950ebb_zpsae832495.jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The size of the photo you just posted on my screen reads 640 x 383 , I'm talking dimensions... not resolution...
The pic below is 600 x 337 ... So I think we are talking about the same size.
3fd81598-7471-4194-a9f9-fe6498950ebb_zpsae832495.jpg

Ya, in computer graphics and imaging not meant for print, pixels are the dimensions: 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, etc.
Resolution is is in pixels too, but that is usually language meant for things like monitors. :)

For Imgur: https://api.imgur.com/models/image

bbZp2o1.png

For example, the image located at http://i.imgur.com/12345.jpg has the Medium Thumbnail located at http://i.imgur.com/12345m.jpg

It's all good. :D

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use Xnview for most things, including cropping, color adjustment, resizing, etc. It's also free, can use PS plugins and has mobile versions as well as a Linux client in Beta. :)

xnview-win-01.png

http://www.xnview.com/en/

This is the newer version, still in Beta.
http://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/

Every photo I post that I take myself, starts out as a 3-4MB, 8-12MP image, then I edit it and upload it to Imgur.
I've got it down to a few seconds worth of time in workflow. :)

Last edited:

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Looks nice but I need something basic usally just to resize- and you said the L word lol

Linux rocks. Hehehe....
_linux.gif

It keeps my parents from calling me every other day with a crash or some other BS.

Well, I used Infran a lot back in the 90's, as well as Lview and the big dog of ACDSee. But, Xnview is small, free, does what I want and has a LOT of powerful features including a good batch processing function and easy image processing. Unless I need real power or actual editing, I just use it instead of waiting for Photoshop to open. ;)

Infran actually has many advanced functions too...I just don't like the interface much.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It would still be useful to be able to either crop or resize on the fly because sometimes when you're out you take a photo and wanna up load it there and then. So a option for size upon upload is a must. I'd say not having this feature is [....]

My iPhone takes photos at something like 8mb (or is it MP?) sometimes and I have to crop it before upload which is np in itself but I don't always wanna crop out stuff.

Maybe I'll look for a simple resizer app. I do have one but it pixelates photos something terrible.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok. So for me and a number of others we can get around the thing but I think for a lot of members it would be a useful feature. Plus we're not always at our computers. It's just our culture to take a photo and immediately upload it

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It would still be useful to be able to either crop or resize on the fly because sometimes when you're out you take a photo and wanna up load it there and then. So a option for size upon upload is a must. I'd say not having this feature is [....]

My iPhone takes photos at something like 8mb (or is it MP?) sometimes and I have to crop it before upload which is np in itself but I don't always wanna crop out stuff.

Maybe I'll look for a simple resizer app. I do have one but it pixelates photos something terrible.

I don't have an iPhone, but here are some ideas: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/02/16/how-to-resize-picture-iphone/

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use Xnview for most things, including cropping, color adjustment, resizing, etc. It's also free, can use PS plugins and has mobile versions as well as a Linux client in Beta. :)

xnview-win-01.png

Every photo I post that I take myself, starts out as a 3-4MB, 8-12MP image, then I edit it and upload it to Imgur.
Nice @CaFF I run Linux as my work and primary desktop have not tried xnview going to grab it now ..thanx

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nice @CaFF I run Linux as my work and primary desktop have not tried xnview going to grab it now ..thanx

Kewl!

Ya, I had moved Mom to it from other things, then when I moved her to *nix, it was fairly seamless. :D
I use it for all my non-PS edits and cataloging. That it can use PS plugins, is a major plus too.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Because of the 1mb max upload limit - the ability to crop or resize or choose quality of photos during upload would be a like to have.
I have given up on VU and being able to upload stuff lol. so frustrating . a handful of times I have been successful. the biggest bummer of VU right now is uploading stuff. not that I post a lot of pictures anyways but I might if it were updated.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have given up on VU and being able to upload stuff lol. so frustrating . a handful of times I have been successful. the biggest bummer of VU right now is uploading stuff. not that I post a lot of pictures anyways but I might if it were updated.

I just uploaded and attached several pictures.

Like this:

P1020801.JPG

However, I used software to resize them to 1024 pixels on the long side first. Making them a proper filesize. There is no excuse for uploading 8-14 megapixel images and wondering why it fails.

If ya don't want to do that, then use an image host like Imgur or Photobucket that will provide various thumbnail sizes.

It's really not that hard. ;)

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
oh that sounds super easy, NOT ! lol let me just grab mr re sizamathingy to post a picture no one can see . lol. like I said not user friendly for people that do not have or care to use chingaderas to upload a picture to a forum in 2014

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its not bad, on android you just edit & crop the pic to get it 1mb or less. You lose some boarder but its easier than uploading to a host site, I appreciate that... quick & easy.

Tech should limit the size of the pics to fit the page hosted pics or pics uploaded to your site. They should be able to do that, seen that changed on other sites.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
oh that sounds super easy, NOT ! lol let me just grab mr re sizamathingy to post a picture no one can see . lol. like I said not user friendly for people that do not have or care to use chingaderas to upload a picture to a forum in 2014

Imgur has apps for all smartphones and there are many for the PC. Children in 3rd-world countries can and do use them.

if you can't understand how that works, I can't help you.

You want everything to work how YOU want it. Wah. GLWT.

In 2014, people are expected to have at least some computer literacy. We have tried to offer solutions to you. All forums also limit images to some extent. ;)

Try this rant over at ECF....

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
lmao what a dick, I didnt say I didnt know how to do it. I said it shouldnt be that hard.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
either way I could give 2 fucks less what you think anyways @CaFF

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
it worked thanks caff

I am using an online photo editing site which hasn't as lower as 1mb limit. I found it a few months ago and works fine till the current time. here is the link that might be helpful. online photoshop free.. i hope it will help you editing your images.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

xnview-win-01.png

+1 for xnview.
been using it for years.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Tech should limit the size of the pics to fit the page.

VU can't force pictures to be the width of the page because the width of the forum depends on the width of your browser window unless it's below (looks like) 200 pixels wide or over (looks like) 1800 pixels wide.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rctech did it a year or so ago. Used to be people posting pics that were small, regular and then some that when they embedded the pic it was massive.

Now when you post a pic it is at maximum a size that fits the page or smaller.

I would rather suggest using a site named as free photoshop onilne that I am using since the last few months. But it is good only for some basic editing. So if the subject is only a few basic type of editing, you can take benefit of it.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

One more word, blocked

The only time I see any image hosted outside of VU, is when I'm on my mobile.

All those nifty ideas fail when you try to add one my cookie to my box.

VU Sponsors