Become a Patron!

Percentage of flavoring????

mcc1961

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What percentage of flavoring should I use for the best results?I have mixed 2 bottles so far and put 20% flavoring in them but they are still steeping.I read where some people are using 26% flavoring. One bottle is strawberries and cream and the other is ripe strawberry.I don't use nicotine I just vape for the flavor.Also do you have to steep the juice as long when you are not using nicotine?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hi mcc1961, welcome to VU.

Everyone can be a bit different in how much flavoring they use. For me, that would be way too much flavor. You could try splitting that up, leave one bottle as is, then in the other, add more VG, PG, or a combination of. Let them steep the same length of time, and see which works better for you.

Some fruits don't need any steeping at all, some have a bit of an alcohol taste, until they've sat a bit. Creams, tobaccos and some bakery type flavors seem to to a tad better with sitting a little bit.

Papachaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Welcome. I find that most single fruit flavors can be mixed and vaped after shaking well. For a mix with any type of cream I let it steep for 2 to 3 weeks before vaping. 20% may be a little strong. I mix my fruit only flavors at 10%. The main thing with mixing is just to try different strengths to find what you like the best.

Carpe Nidor

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I generaly do 10 to 16%. I always steep. Especialy with recipes that have a bunch of flavorings. Steeping gives it time to let the flavors fuse together and not have stronger flavors totaly over power the light ones like whipped cream. I steep on average a minimum of two weeks.
Just how i do things and every1 is different.
Just play with it till you are comfortable and find what works 4u.

Last edited:

mcc1961

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think I have a bad batch of 80/20 VG PG.I tried 2 different flavors and they both smelled the same after I put the heat to it.I bought a 32oz premixed bottle on ebay.Is this possible?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've had some that were worse than others, yes. Unless you know the brand, it'd be hard to say, but ebay wouldn't be my first choice. PG and VG are very reasonably priced. I buy from Essential Depot, or that same brand at Amazon, sometimes.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Amazon has good pricing on vg and pg by the gallon (havent used it yet to know if its good). And with prime free shipping its even better

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I think I have a bad batch of 80/20 VG PG.I tried 2 different flavors and they both smelled the same after I put the heat to it.I bought a 32oz premixed bottle on ebay.Is this possible?
Is it cloudy at all?

mcc1961

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No its completely clear.I changed the wick and coils out twice and used 2 different juices and after i fired the mod the smell was exactly the same smell.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Thats a problem with ebay. Could be some1 doing it out of their garage without prppper standards. Did you steep your juice after mixing. Maybe the concentrates just need time.
Taiste the vg pg with nothing else.

mcc1961

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One i steeped for a few days and the other i didn't.Would that make that much difference?

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Bull city flavors. Ive ever gotten a bad anything

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
One i steeped for a few days and the other i didn't.Would that make that much difference?
I was saying taiste your vg pg mix and c if the problem is there from the start or is coming from the flavs

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Steeping yes. Ive had juice taste like crap rite off. But 2 weeks steep and its amazing

mcc1961

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I tasted the pure VG PG and it is sweet with a slight bitter taste.Is that normal?

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yes thats ok. Id let them steep a week. Odds r this issue stops

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
To b sure drip some str8 pg vg see wat it tastes like vaped. If it tastes like b4 then you know where the problem is

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
The bottles the mixed juice is in. Were they clean when it went in?

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Im just trying to think of anything it could b. I still say let them sit for a week. Just put it in a dark cabinet and 4get about it. Then try it

88ArDeN88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would suggest doing single flavor tests of each of your flavors to get an idea of how that flavor behaves. So for example, I will make 5ml tests of every one of my individual flavor concentrates at 3 different percentages. I usually go as follows

VTA, WF, RF, FA, INW, HS - (1,2,3% - sometimes I start as low as 0.5% and go as high as 5%, I use ELR to get an idea of what other people are doing and go from there)
OOO, CAP, TFA, PUR, FW - (2,4,6% - again I check ELR to get an idea, some flavors are really strong in these lines and I like to get an idea before I make a 6% tester of TFA Brown Sugar Extra and blast my tastebuds away)
FLV - I start at 0.5% and taste it, if it is strong I do 0.5, 0.75, 1, if it is a weaker one I do 0.5, 1, 1.5%. I do this with some RF, WF flavors as well.

I take notes on all of this stuff. Knowing my concentrates makes me a better mixer. Instead of blindly hoping something will come out good, I already know what my concentrates taste like on their own at certain percentages, it gives me a much better idea of how they will behave in a mix. I suggest if you plan on really getting into this and creating your own recipes, you start doing this, it will change the whole thing for you.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Everyone here is right. It’s all about what you like. There’s “standards” but you might like it higher or lower.

Literally everything flavor related is relative. It’s all about you and your preferences.

There are a lot of really good mixers here. Keep asking questions. You’ll always get an answer!

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I would suggest doing single flavor tests of each of your flavors to get an idea of how that flavor behaves. So for example, I will make 5ml tests of every one of my individual flavor concentrates at 3 different percentages. I usually go as follows

VTA, WF, RF, FA, INW, HS - (1,2,3% - sometimes I start as low as 0.5% and go as high as 5%, I use ELR to get an idea of what other people are doing and go from there)
OOO, CAP, TFA, PUR, FW - (2,4,6% - again I check ELR to get an idea, some flavors are really strong in these lines and I like to get an idea before I make a 6% tester of TFA Brown Sugar Extra and blast my tastebuds away)
FLV - I start at 0.5% and taste it, if it is strong I do 0.5, 0.75, 1, if it is a weaker one I do 0.5, 1, 1.5%. I do this with some RF, WF flavors as well.

I take notes on all of this stuff. Knowing my concentrates makes me a better mixer. Instead of blindly hoping something will come out good, I already know what my concentrates taste like on their own at certain percentages, it gives me a much better idea of how they will behave in a mix. I suggest if you plan on really getting into this and creating your own recipes, you start doing this, it will change the whole thing for you.
This^^^

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
What percentage of flavoring should I use for the best results?I have mixed 2 bottles so far and put 20% flavoring in them but they are still steeping.I read where some people are using 26% flavoring. One bottle is strawberries and cream and the other is ripe strawberry.I don't use nicotine I just vape for the flavor.Also do you have to steep the juice as long when you are not using nicotine?
I think you may have overflavored. 20% of any single flavor may be too much, IMO. If you like it, great!

What flavor company are your flavors from?

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years

Percentage of flavoring.. ok first..

list your recipe... what are you doing? what brands are you using?

start your flavors as solos, really low and work up..
then you can put recipes together based on if your tongue will like it at what percent you find you like. :)

I do have some juices with only .7% total flavoring...

I have some around 5%...

its what all is in it and how it is used.. for every application, there is a different process :)

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
There are so many sb ripe, I use TFA ripe 3% paired with inw shisha sb 1%. Even for a single I wouldn't go above 5% for the ripe. Do see it used as high as 10%, just depends on the individual.

88ArDeN88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are so many sb ripe, I use TFA ripe 3% paired with inw shisha sb 1%. Even for a single I wouldn't go above 5% for the ripe. Do see it used as high as 10%, just depends on the individual.
I think it also depends on the equipment you are using. If you are creating juice to use in an RDA rather than a subohm tank you will notice a big difference in flavor. RTA and RDA are pretty much the same for me depending on the actual atomizer (obviously there are crappy rta and rda), but subohm tanks I find vary greatly in flavor and I really don't use any anymore except for my original fireluke, though I do get a tin taste from the coils sometimes.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

There is a person on this forum who uses the strawberry over 25% with over 85% PG. Some are far from the norm...............

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Assuming that everyone mixes to taste for their gear and preferences. All we can do if asked what percentage we use ourselves. It's a crap shoot for anyone that doesn't do the homework researching the flavors and mixing the testers.

88ArDeN88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Assuming that everyone mixes to taste for their gear and preferences. All we can do if asked what percentage we use ourselves. It's a crap shoot for anyone that doesn't do the homework researching the flavors and mixing the testers.
Agreed. If you want to become a better mixer, then this is absolutely correct. If you want to go blindly into the world of mixing and hope you eventually make something good, then I guess this whole conversation is irrelevant.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Agreed. If you want to become a better mixer, then this is absolutely correct. If you want to go blindly into the world of mixing and hope you eventually make something good, then I guess this whole conversation is irrelevant.
Now that I am familiar with the brands and have found reviewers whose tastes are similar to my own it's much less tedious. I now only do sft for flavors I will probably like as a single.

88ArDeN88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Outlandish to you. I mix for my cousin and high flavor suits her. The few recipes we both enjoy have very different flavor percentages.
Agreed. I speak only for myself, which is why I didn't add that caveat. I find it outlandish. I know taste is subjective, but I feel as though some flavors can't be taken to a certain point without inducing a strange flavor. I also feel like Shisha Strawberry is one of them.

mcc1961

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I tried the strawberry and cream juice after over 7 days of steeping and you can really taste the cream more than the strawberry.I made this bottle with 2ml of strawberry and 1ml of cream in a 15ml bottle.I think the flavor is a little strong but it smells great when you vape it.I think the next batch I will mix it at 10% flavoring.

Slots

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried the strawberry and cream juice after over 7 days of steeping and you can really taste the cream more than the strawberry.I made this bottle with 2ml of strawberry and 1ml of cream in a 15ml bottle.I think the flavor is a little strong but it smells great when you vape it.I think the next batch I will mix it at 10% flavoring.
If the cream is over taking the strawberry, try 2.5ml of strawberry and .5ml of cream or just up the strawberry to bring it up front.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I have a few recipes with flavors at or a little above 20%, but the longer I mix, and the better my equipment gets, the more I find that I need to lower those percentages. I had some trouble tasting citrus flavors, and found that I really had to bump those up quite a bit for a while so I could taste them. They're coming back down now, though.

When you start mixing your own, you very nearly have to figure that, in the beginning, if you make anything worth vaping, it's a bonus. Trial and error is the only way to find what you like, with the particular chemicals, methods, and gear you are using.

mcc1961

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I tried some of 1 of my juices and it is pretty good.I fixed one with red apple and apple pie flavoring .This is the one i tried and i put them in an ultrasonic cleaner and heater for about 7 hours at 35c to speed steep them.The apple pie one tastes just like an apple pie.The other one is Concord grape and red apple flavoring.Haven't tried it yet.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Heat and nicotine do not like each other.. it will destroy your nic... js..

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Agreed. I speak only for myself, which is why I didn't add that caveat. I find it outlandish. I know taste is subjective, but I feel as though some flavors can't be taken to a certain point without inducing a strange flavor. I also feel like Shisha Strawberry is one of them.
I concur with what you're saying.

My take- It's not like you can turn flavors up like a dial. They have optimal ranges. Doubling the percentage doesn't get you double the flavor. It just kind of gets distorted with off notes, weirdness, or mutes itself.

Boyblue

Member For 3 Years
Looking at the top rated recipes on e-liquid-recipes.com high teens are where most of the recipes end up as far as total flavor percentage. I like a more pronounced flavor, so I limit my recipes to 20%. The critical thing for me is to stay within the suggested percentage range for each flavor. If a flavor is to be a main feature I'll probably use it at it's max recommended.

Do any of you go past the recommended percentage?

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
. The critical thing for me is to stay within the suggested percentage range for each flavor. If a flavor is to be a main feature I'll probably use it at it's max recommended.

Do any of you go past the recommended percentage?
Are you talking about what's found at ELR?

Boyblue

Member For 3 Years
Are you talking about what's found at ELR?

No, I buy flavorings from Heartland Vapes, although the flavors a from CAP, TFA, FW ect, they're in heartland Vapes bottles and each has a the range recommended percentages, I figured all flavorings had this information.

VU Sponsors