Parma Violets

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
To all my fellow Brits! Who remembers and loves these sweets.

Violet Flavourart 4%
Mad Fruit Flavourart 0.5 %
Lemon Sicily flavourart 0.5%
Sweetener TFA 0.5%
Sweet and Tart TFA 0.5%

Its just like the little purple sweets!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OMG, I remember those! Of course violet is one of the few flavors I don't have. But I might have to get it for nostalgia's sake!

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I used to see how many I could stuff in my gob. I used to love them. This eliquid brings back memories. I cant get them over here. When ever I visit my family I stock up and I am really stingy with them.

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Never liked those but could eat the black currant pastels and the macaroon bars until I passed out.
Edit: didn't mean that quite the way it sounded.

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ooh blackcurrant pastels.. . Time to start mixing another potion.

Reactions: Ace

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
To all my fellow Brits! Who remembers and loves these sweets.

Violet Flavourart 4%
Mad Fruit Flavourart 0.5 %
Lemon Sicily flavourart 0.5%
Sweetener TFA 0.5%
Sweet and Tart TFA 0.5%

Its just like the little purple sweets!

Okay, NOW I will finally get FA Violet. I've always avoided florals, but I know that candy and would love to vape this - thanks!

(BTW, congratulations on all your early mixing achievements. It sure took me a lot longer to assemble my first recipes.)

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you for the inspiration. I love to cook and experiment with flavour. I think it helps.

we2rcool

Member For 4 Years
Fwiw, DV (Decadent Vapours) has a Parma Violet flavor (that according to several reviews I've read, is 'spot on Parma Violets') But I see it has chocolate undertones (???) http://decadentvapours.com/shop/flavours/parma-violet-2/
There's nothing in the ingredients that would indicate "chocolate".

Ingredients
Sugar
Stearic Acid
Modified Starch
Glucose Syrup
Anti-Caking Agent: Magnesium Carbonate
Flavourings
Colour: Anthocyanin

Hmmm, a bit of Googling shows that a chocolate 'Parma Violet' type candy was/is available: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081124144037AAAz0R3

I'm a HUGE fan of TFAs Violet Candy (10%), so I'm definitely looking forward to trying out your recipe! However, we don't use sucralose (due to it's toxicity and the way it diminishes flavor over time in juices). Do you think this'll work without the sweetener? (if not, I may add a bit of Violet Candy for some added sweetness).

TIA!

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Fwiw, DV (Decadent Vapours) has a Parma Violet flavor (that according to several reviews I've read, is 'spot on Parma Violets') But I see it has chocolate undertones (???) http://decadentvapours.com/shop/flavours/parma-violet-2/
There's nothing in the ingredients that would indicate "chocolate".

Ingredients
Sugar
Stearic Acid
Modified Starch
Glucose Syrup
Anti-Caking Agent: Magnesium Carbonate
Flavourings
Colour: Anthocyanin

Hmmm, a bit of Googling shows that a chocolate 'Parma Violet' type candy was/is available: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081124144037AAAz0R3

I'm a HUGE fan of TFAs Violet Candy (10%), so I'm definitely looking forward to trying out your recipe! However, we don't use sucralose (due to it's toxicity and the way it diminishes flavor over time in juices). Do you think this'll work without the sweetener? (if not, I may add a bit of Violet Candy for some added sweetness).

TIA!
I also got the tfa violet candy I didn't use it because it smelled odd and I tasted a drop and thought it was yucky. I do like a fairly sweet vape. Not too long off the nasties. I have only just started mixing so I don't really know of alternatives to sweetner. Someone else may know.

we2rcool

Member For 4 Years
No problem! Since I'm the opposite (I don't care much for sweet vapes, and never need to add sweeteners), it'll probably be fine (for me) without the added sweetener (and without the added Violet Candy). I'm putting it on 'The List' now :) Thanks again!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
No problem! Since I'm the opposite (I don't care much for sweet vapes, and never need to add sweeteners), it'll probably be fine (for me) without the added sweetener (and without the added Violet Candy). I'm putting it on 'The List' now :) Thanks again!

We2, you know I don't vape Sucralose, either. When I saw 0.5% Sweetener, I 'auto-translated' it to 0.5% FA Meringue. I'm overly excited to vape flowers now. I have FA's other florals in my cart, going off the deep end imagining lavender tea, jasmine tea, and I know there was some actual beverage that uses rose water... lol, anything but Neroli for me.

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
We2, you know I don't vape Sucralose, either. When I saw 0.5% Sweetener, I 'auto-translated' it to 0.5% FA Meringue. I'm overly excited to vape flowers now. I have FA's other florals in my cart, going off the deep end imagining lavender tea, jasmine tea, and I know there was some actual beverage that uses rose water... lol, anything but Neroli for me.
I did think about meringue, but I had used it in another recipe and detected an eggy note.

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Rose brings the jelly in Turkish delight to my mind. Think I may need some rose and jasmine.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Rose brings the jelly in Turkish delight to my mind. Think I may need some rose and jasmine.

DAMN - you're good! Yes! That's exactly what I was looking at - recipes for (real) Turkish delight. I got sidetracked and made applets and cotlets instead (sort of a northwestern US version without the rose, since I didn't have it). Thanks for the memory jog!

we2rcool

Member For 4 Years

We find we can't always sub Meringue for sweetener - it has a flavor of it's own (and a 'texture', too), that may/not work for us in certain blends. And since (like you) we're using VT nic and max-vg, we find the added sweetness (due to the vg sweetness coming through strong since there's no dirty-nic-taste to neutralize it) to be a bit annoying (at best) and downright overwhelming (at worst). But that, of course, may not match your tastes. So it's very likely (for us anyway), that this'll be sweet enough without any additions. I still might try it with the Violet Candy 'just to see'.

That "VT-nic-max-vg-added-sweetness" thing is seriously putting the hurt on our tobacco blends. So we're working with Bitter-Wizard to find the 'perfect place'...where it neutralizes the sweetness, but adds no discernible bitter taste.

'Glad to see you're 'opening your palette' to the florals!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
That "VT-nic-max-vg-added-sweetness" thing is seriously putting the hurt on our tobacco blends. So we're working with Bitter-Wizard to find the 'perfect place'...where it neutralizes the sweetness, but adds no discernible bitter taste.

'Glad to see you're 'opening your palette' to the florals!

Yup, I know the problem of sweetness with max VG and tobaccos. I like just about everything better in VG - because of my sweet tooth - but I don't like tobacco sweet at all. Adding Black Fire helps neutralize it for me, as long as it's not a very sweet tobacco. I can't get much effect from Bitter Wizard! How much do you add?

Soon I will be vaping all the FA florals. I suppose the vapor will smell like little old ladies; I'll try them away from tough-guy friends to avoid ridicule. lol!

we2rcool

Member For 4 Years
Yup, I know the problem of sweetness with max VG and tobaccos. I like just about everything better in VG - because of my sweet tooth - but I don't like tobacco sweet at all. Adding Black Fire helps neutralize it for me, as long as it's not a very sweet tobacco. I can't get much effect from Bitter Wizard! How much do you add?

Soon I will be vaping all the FA florals. I suppose the vapor will smell like little old ladies; I'll try them away from tough-guy friends to avoid ridicule. lol!

Since we want the 'smoke' of the Black Fire to come through in our tobacco's, that won't work as something to neutralize the over-sweetness of the VG for us.

We tried the Bitter Wizard at one drop per 10 ml (which should be around .5%) and we could still detect the 'bitter'...and we haven't yet had the time to do any more fine tuning :( We're guessing around .25% will do it, but we need to make a 50% dilution and try it with unflavored base at various levels to find the perfect 'not sweet spot'.

We're noticing that the VT nic effect (allowing so much VG sweetness to come through) is altering more than just the tobaccos blends. The added sweetness coming through seems to lessen/flatten many of the flavors (particularly Cookie, Absinthe, anything with bitter/peppery/tart nuances, crusts...well, anything that too much sugar would alter/smother).

We want a neutral "base" for our blends that will allow the flavors to be what they really are - not a "sugar base" that alters them! :confused:

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Since we want the 'smoke' of the Black Fire to come through in our tobacco's, that won't work as something to neutralize the over-sweetness of the VG for us.

We tried the Bitter Wizard at one drop per 10 ml (which should be around .5%) and we could still detect the 'bitter'...and we haven't yet had the time to do any more fine tuning :( We're guessing around .25% will do it, but we need to make a 50% dilution and try it with unflavored base at various levels to find the perfect 'not sweet spot'.

We're noticing that the VT nic effect (allowing so much VG sweetness to come through) is altering more than just the tobaccos blends. The added sweetness coming through seems to lessen/flatten many of the flavors (particularly Cookie, Absinthe, anything with bitter/peppery/tart nuances, crusts...well, anything that too much sugar would alter/smother).

We want a neutral "base" for our blends that will allow the flavors to be what they really are - not a "sugar base" that alters them! :confused:

This is really interesting to me. I hope you'll post somewhere here as you play with Bitter Wizard. I think I'm immune to it.

I've forgotten - do you2 use PG at all? I think max-VG isn't for everyone's tastes, but I really enjoy the extra sweetness. Hm, maybe it partially explains why I can never make very tart flavors. I've dropped my nic to 12 or 15mg. With VT nic, I really don't notice any flavor difference between 36mg and 12mg, but maybe you2 can.

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This is really interesting to me. I hope you'll post somewhere here as you play with Bitter Wizard. I think I'm immune to it.

I've forgotten - do you2 use PG at all? I think max-VG isn't for everyone's tastes, but I really enjoy the extra sweetness. Hm, maybe it partially explains why I can never make very tart flavors. I've dropped my nic to 12 or 15mg. With VT nic, I really don't notice any flavor difference between 36mg and 12mg, but maybe you2 can.

I realize that you aren't addressing me, but thought that I would chime in anyway.
I am using VT nic and 50/50 at the moment. We haven't had any adverse effects to any combinations yet. I do like sweetness , maybe I should try a 70vg/30pg blend next to see if there is an increase in the sweetness. we have dropped our nic from 24mg down to 12mg in less than a month. We did it in 2mg increments per week. I think we will stay at 12mg for a while. We only started vaping on 6/28/14. No tobacco since 7/1/14. And no desire. I think I need my flavor sweet and strong at the moment, probably due to taste and smell not quite up to par. I will probably be able to cut down my flavor percentage later on.

we2rcool

Member For 4 Years

The only PG we use is what we get from the flavorings - and we like to keep them as low as possible (I 'have' to, as I feel the adverse effects of the chemicals).

We're at 8/10mg nic (down from 18/24 when we quit smoking). We haven't made any cuts since switching to VT. The only flavor difference we notice with the VT nic (besides the lack of dirty-nasty-ness of the other nics) is the increased sweetness.

'Just can't "get into" the sweet (or "food/candy like" vapes here). We switched to vaping to get off the cigs - and cigs were always a 'neutral' for us. Sure they can be 'fun' (and I love the challenge of cloning & creating new recipes)...so this added sweet thing is seriously putting the hurt on our vaping.

We'll be sure to post when we find the 'magic spot' that neutralizes the VG sweetness that's coming through with the VT nic. Hopefully we'll be able to find a spot where we can kill the VG sweetness entirely :)

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just popping in to give a big thanks to @chickenmonkey for the recipe and @HeadInClouds for turning me onto it in the FA thread - just mixed this up as my first attempt at mixing flavorings and my wife adores it! Had a few puffs myself, not bad at all...definitely going to be making up a big batch next time, the 10 ml sample won't be lasting long...

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just popping in to give a big thanks to @chickenmonkey for the recipe and @HeadInClouds for turning me onto it in the FA thread - just mixed this up as my first attempt at mixing flavorings and my wife adores it! Had a few puffs myself, not bad at all...definitely going to be making up a big batch next time, the 10 ml sample won't be lasting long...
I am glad you like it. I will have to make another batch soon.

VU Sponsors