Become a Patron!

parallel vs series..what's what & comparisons...

NotNew2VapingNow

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
one of my current mods runs (2) 18650's...using sony vtc5a @ 2600MaH

I'm assuming the mods usually run parallel & not series (who needs a 7.4V Mech?), so my question is:
will a mod running dual 2600 MaH's typically last longer than one with an internal battery with a 3000MaH rating?

thinking of giving the smok prince stick a shot, but would like it to last at least as long as my Smok Mag with dual 2600 MaH's (if this makes any sense at all)

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For the same exact load/coil: Parallel always runs longer than series - mah multiplies in parallel, doesn't change in series. It sounds like you need to review assorted equations.

Series batts are (or were) frowned-upon. <shrug> But, since there are idiots everywhere I figure Darwin will sort it out. I've a pair of Noisy Cricket (2s) mods: I have to build around 1.0Ω to enjoy them for a day or 2. I've a ds-style (2p) squonker - it vapes fine for a day or so at about 0.2Ω.

These comments above are predicated on SINGLE COIL ATOMIZERS - as soon as you use a dual you can chop your time in half and likely double the power-requirements.

For a Regulated-Mod, forget ohms-law - you need Watts Law. But, with regulated it's pretty simple to guesstimate: a single cell only has 4.2v and X maH - If your settings expect more than 4.2v, you are sucking extra mah to boost the volts and add waste. WIth multiple (series) cells, a regulated mod does less and less work to boost the voltage.

I suspect at least 3 EE-types can now tear me up and clarify what I mean, but that should let you visualize the differences.

NotNew2VapingNow

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so in my example, with the same coil, the internal battery of the smok stick (3000mah) would more than likely NOT last as long as the dual 2600 Mah's? yes, I realize that one is basically a regulated & one is an (semi)unregulated, but for arguments sake....

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No idea. I wouldn't own a SMok mod.
So far, in my experience, only Eleaf, DNA and a few mechs have lasted more than a few months.
  • On my eleaf 100w and the tc100w, the cells were both in parallel and I could get at least 2 days out of them.
  • On my (pre-owned, well-used) Vt133's (DNA200), I use 2x25R's (2s) in series - and get at least 2 days of use out of a pair.
  • The DS-style uses 2xVtc5a (2p) in parallel, and I get at least 2 days out of a pair - often 3.
  • I put my one orphaned 25r (2500mah) into a (pre-owned, very well used) Yihi SXMini - and I can either vape it to, from and at work for 2 days - or vape it nonstop at home for about 3 hours.
The vtc5[a] is for high-amp loads - in mechs I like them; the 25r's work fine in regulated and in a pinch in mechs, (But I don't draw huge power - 30w is my average TOPEND, and 24-26 is usual).

I've not heard of one good reason to suffer internal LIPO for vaping, and 3000mah sounds like 2 crap batteries in parallel... If they are anything like laptop batteries, they suck to replace.

Incidentally: the 2 Eleaf mods got PIF'd to youngest brother and his wife - after over a year of constant use.

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A lot Will depend on the coil you're using. For instance, running a .12Ω build on the parallel mech will will yield about 10 actual minutes of vape time or around 203 3 second pulls. Running a .25Ω build on the Stick will yield about 12 minutes or 234 3 second pulls.

That's because the .25Ω coil at 3.7V (the mods nominal voltage), uses roughly 56 watts and the .12Ω coil at the same voltage gets roughly 114 watts.

If the build is the same on both, the parallel will certainly last longer. 5200 mAh beats out 3000 mAh for sure.

VU Sponsors