Become a Patron!

Parallel Clapton Wire

vapemesilly

Member For 4 Years
Bought a small roll of parallel clapton wire back before I had any idea of what I was doing. Still don't know much but at least I know that I don't know much. Anyway, this wire is 2, 24 ga wires running parallel, wrapped in a 32 ga wire, all kanthal. I entered this into the coil calculator to see how many wraps I would need for a .5 ohm coil. The result is 35 wraps.

Geez. Thats a big damn coil.

What would someone use 2, 24 ga parallel with a 32 ga wrap for? Seems to me this wire is useless.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I don't think you input the numbers correctly. I'm getting 10 wraps for a single 0.5ohm coil with a 2.5mm inside diameter. For duals to come in at 0.5, they would be 20 wraps each.

Edit: What I meant to say was, dual 10wraps will give you 0.245 ohms. I changed hands and forgot what I was doing, lol.

See, we all make mistakes, which is why I don't own a mech ;)

Last edited:

BornToDie423

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Fused claptons (claptons with parallel core wires) are normally more of an advanced setup kind of thing. They are made to lower resistance and enhance flavor. The way it works, for every additional wire added to a coil, it cuts the resistance in half. So if you have a single wire that is.. say 10mm in length with a resistance of 1ohm, adding an additional 10mm length of the same type of wire will cut the total resistance to 0.5ohm.

So, a coil made of three strands of wire cuts the resistance into 1/3rd of what they are individually. Adding a second coil made the exact same way wrapped the same number of times, in a perfect world, cuts the resistance in half again(1/6th the original).

If I just confused you more, I'll do my best to explain it if you can give me specific questions. I hope my rambling was at least slightly coherent.

Last edited:

BornToDie423

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I don't think you input the numbers correctly. I'm getting 10 wraps for a single 0.5ohm coil with a 2.5mm inside diameter. For duals to come in at 0.5, they would be 5 wraps each.
Duals are a parallel circuit, so you would have to double the wraps of a single coil build to achieve the same resistance. A single coil coming in a 0.5ohm with 10 wraps. A dual coil setup using the same wire would need 20 wraps for each coil to reach the same 0.5ohm.

Last edited:

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Duals are a parallel circuit, so you would have to double the wraps of a single coil build to achieve the same resistance. A single coil coming in a 0.5ohm with 10 wraps. A dual coil setup using the same wire would need 20 wraps for each coil to reach the same 0.5ohm.
Derp. Yeah, I went the wrong way, lol. Dual 10 wraps for 0.25 is where I was going. Sorry.

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Those are called fused clapton wires. Here is a chart from Steam-Engine.org. Their wire wizard is awesome.

16831956_10206686414679613_5724910126731215947_n.jpg

If you have a hard time reading this. Right click on it and "open in new tab"

Happy Vaping!
CV :)

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What's a roll of parallel Clapton?
If it's in a roll and not in coil form then it's not parallel, don't you mean fused Clapton?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those are called fused clapton wires. Here is a chart from Steam-Engine.org. Their wire wizard is awesome.

16831956_10206686414679613_5724910126731215947_n.jpg

If you have a hard time reading this. Right click on it and "open in new tab"

Happy Vaping!
CV :)
You don't need to use Wire Wizard, just use parallel for "Setup" dropdown.

VU Sponsors