Become a Patron!

Outfitting my new squonker...

Well, soon to be my new squonker. I just pre-ordered a Therion BF DNA75C from Fasttech (never ordered from China before; hope I'll be ok), and it's set to drop next month. The thing is: not only have I never had a squonker, I've never used an RBA before.

Not new to vaping (5 1/2 years since I quit smokes), but after years on tube mods and carto tanks, I then spent the past couple years quite happily vaping my Provari P3 with a Kabuki on top. Still quite happy... but I wanna play.

I vape my own juice at about 15 watts (1.6 and 1.8 ohm Nautilus coils) with short drags MTL, and I chase flavor. I'd like to replicate that with a squonker and RBA. But, despite a ton of reading, I'm still feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Which RBA?
I'm strongly leaning towards the Hadaly (though I'd like to try a clone before I drop the $70), but the Steamcrave Aromamizer V-RDA also looks good to me as a flavor RBA that seems darn near leak-proof. Are these too large for MTL?

I've never even puffed on an RBA, so what do I know?

Which coils?
I'm thinking I'll use pre-made coils though I should probably have a roll of round wire around as backup. There are tons of coils that look so cool, but they seem to be mostly made for clouds, and that's not what I'm going for (I already have to crack the window when I drive just for safety's sake). Can I use those? What gauge? What resistance?

Which cotton? Does it matter?

Bottles?

The mod kit comes with silicone bottles. Are they soft enough? Do I want them soft?

Where should I buy?
I definitely prefer US, of course. The Fasttech pre-order is already making me a bit nervous.

Anyway, this will be my new baby. I think she's gorgeous, and I want to treat her right.
crown_bull_therion_75c_squonker_2.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I used to love the Kabuki before jumping to rebuildables :wave: and going mainly full on squonk

You can get a very good MTL draw with the Hadaly - if you want to try a clone first, look for the ShenRay version; the SXK version is not even close to 1/1. The ShenRay is very close. Yes, have owned and vaped all three. Hadaly is probably my favorite right now but...

The new Chalice IV by Mark Bugs is a super-kickass MTL squonk atty - but I don't know if it has been cloned yet, or if so, if it is any good

Got the real deal from Romania last month and it is trying hard to kick the hadaly from it's top spot for single coil MTL squonking. The only other person I know with one did not care for it - he definitely likes the Origen Little - which is also a very good and has been cloned very successfully. The chamber is smaller in the Origen Little compared to Hadaly or Chalice IV

The Odis 16 is another tiny flavor monster. The clone is not on the same level though. Lets say if you really like the clone, the authentic will blow you out of the water, lol

As for premade coils, look at the offerings at advancedvapesupply.com - excellent price for very good coils. Everything from a regular round stainless to the more complex stuff like aliens and staples. You can buy them pre-made or buy the wire there.

Or, nothing wrong with making the jump and making your own with what you have on hand.

As for wicking - you will get as many answers as there are members :p

I like cotton bacon the best - hands down

Can't wait to hear what you think of the new Therion :)

Thanks Lucy.

As a lurker, I've read more than a few of your posts on squonking and learned a lot.

As for coils: Do you have any favorites? If I get too crazy, do I need to worry about spitback? What about ramp up time? I like to hit quickly (about 2 seconds). Are there any specific builds you might recommend? Fused clapton with a thin wire wrap seems to be good from what I'm reading.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Thanks Lucy.

As a lurker, I've read more than a few of your posts on squonking and learned a lot.

As for coils: Do you have any favorites? If I get too crazy, do I need to worry about spitback? What about ramp up time? I like to hit quickly (about 2 seconds). Are there any specific builds you might recommend? Fused clapton with a thin wire wrap seems to be good from what I'm reading.

I'm not a great coil guru and more of a tootle puffer than a lot of folks these day, lol

What is the resistance of the coils are you using on the Kabuki? I'd start there - at the resistance you are already at

As for wire type, I really like good (now) old fashion fused claptons for flavor. I prefer thinner stuff, 30 or 28 with double or triple cores

A lot of folks feel that is way too thin, but I mainly vape on single battery mechs and do not enjoy "hot" vaping.

On builds .5 and up, I've had no issues with spitting - but it took me a lonnnnng time to learn to wick correctly and avoid spit-back issues

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, soon to be my new squonker. I just pre-ordered a Therion BF DNA75C from Fasttech (never ordered from China before; hope I'll be ok), and it's set to drop next month. The thing is: not only have I never had a squonker, I've never used an RBA before.

Not new to vaping (5 1/2 years since I quit smokes), but after years on tube mods and carto tanks, I then spent the past couple years quite happily vaping my Provari P3 with a Kabuki on top. Still quite happy... but I wanna play.

I vape my own juice at about 15 watts (1.6 and 1.8 ohm Nautilus coils) with short drags MTL, and I chase flavor. I'd like to replicate that with a squonker and RBA. But, despite a ton of reading, I'm still feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Which RBA?
I'm strongly leaning towards the Hadaly (though I'd like to try a clone before I drop the $70), but the Steamcrave Aromamizer V-RDA also looks good to me as a flavor RBA that seems darn near leak-proof. Are these too large for MTL?

I've never even puffed on an RBA, so what do I know?

Which coils?
I'm thinking I'll use pre-made coils though I should probably have a roll of round wire around as backup. There are tons of coils that look so cool, but they seem to be mostly made for clouds, and that's not what I'm going for (I already have to crack the window when I drive just for safety's sake). Can I use those? What gauge? What resistance?

Which cotton? Does it matter?

Bottles?

The mod kit comes with silicone bottles. Are they soft enough? Do I want them soft?

Where should I buy?
I definitely prefer US, of course. The Fasttech pre-order is already making me a bit nervous.

Anyway, this will be my new baby. I think she's gorgeous, and I want to treat her right.
View attachment 90762

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
There are VERY few RDA's which cannot be converted to squonkers. Good luck!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Suggestion if you're coming into learning to build, look up Mooch's excellent battery advice. You also might want an RDA that is over 18mm diameter. That will help in building by giving you a bit more room.

Last night I had to rebuild on a velocity v2 clone. I used plain old 28awg A1 Kanthal twisted to get a 0.29(R) oHm dual coil build. It is close enough to .30 for me that it does well yet remains highly safe for the battery load..

I like Muji cotton from Nippon/Japan. Of course, I also like rayon for wick material. More of a moderate vaper on this end. I'm not keen to chase clouds or flavor too much either way. Fall somewhere in between.

I do wind up with a fair bit of :cloud: :cloud: & often do use direct lung hit. Though it has been pointed out to get direct lung hits you still inhale via your mouth. *chuckles*

It is okay to use coils that have inner diameters of 3 to 3.5mm. I do and it is a great help in being able to wick effectively. Went back and relearned from a few YouTube videos last night. Had to reexamine the Scottish roll technique, as I seemingly lost track of the particulars in learning by doing. :) Now, I see being stuck using Scottish roll wicks.

Don't fear learning and then relearning if you so need. You seem off to a good start. Recommendations from me would be the Goon, Velocity, Narda RDA. I seem to be a clone guy, what being off in that land of Appalachia. We are usually careful in that aspect, well generally speaking anyway. I also like the CopperVape for a mod, one who likes mechs.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Everything is covered well by everyone above :)
Just wanted to add there is nothing to fear from Fasttech except for preorders, not to scare you & not Fasttech or any other Chinese vendors faults. It all depends on the date the manufacturers quoted, and delays on new products are more normal than not. When eta's change it's because they didn't receive stock. As soon as they receive they will ship out.

@mjag has noted and I find to be true, if you choose US e-packet once shipped, takes about 10 days. Mjag tried the shipping option via Hong Kong Post & he has said it took less than a week. I haven't tried that option yet.

But the great thing about Fasttech is that you can cancel your order (if you get tired of waiting) at anytime by yourself on your account & the money is always refunded within 24 hours.

Hope this helps :)

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Preordered the black on black myself so waiting impatiently with you
IMG_0156.gif

One of my favorite squonking atomizers is the soul S clone, great flavor and a bit more airflow maximum than the hadaly, 6 "post" design so a lot of build options. If you like direct lung inhales (but can also do a tight draw) the wasp nano is a single coil that has tons of airflow and only like 11$ for the authentic and super easy to build on. My favorite all time rda is the OG goon, squonk pins are cheap for them but kill the battery on single 18650 mods the way I vape goons.

drugarth

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You could look at the upcomming cthulhu mtl rda....seems a nice mtl rda and easy to build with plain round wire which probably comes closest to the nautilus experience.
Not released yet, so I don't have any personal experience yet, it's on pre order at 3fvape. Probable release 20 september.
I'm getting one :)

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Whatcha get?

After taking advantage of the recent 4th of July sale, :inlove: I did not order much.

I thought I would give a PC "Replacement Top Cap for Hadaly RDA Atomizer" a try, another clone Odis-16 and Origen Little and some bottles for DIY.

Ron
---
“Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely Bonkers. But I will tell you a secret, All the best people are.” ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

VU Sponsors