Become a Patron!

Others using 0mg nicotine e-juices for Pain Managment?

Sorry about the length of this first post by a new member! Feel free to skip it!

Hi, folks! I’m a new member who has been exploring whether vaping can be a useful tool for me in managing significant chronic pain (as a result of advancing age [68], arthritis, fibromyalgia, widespread nerve damage from Guillain-Barre Syndrome, etc.). I used Tramadol for almost 20 years, but my doctor helped me give that up three years ago - when I found that the drug was masking my ability to tell the difference between “phantom” pain and pain that originated from an injury, inflammation, etc. Despite the challenges posed by my situation, I have managed to stay relatively mobile, generally healthy, and happy (hence “Smilin’ Kev” as my nom de plume).

I quit smoking almost 40 years ago, so I was very cautious in my approach to e-juices that contained nicotine. It didn’t take me long to discover that - at least for me - the presence of nicotine in the liquid didn’t make any difference in the levels or types of pain I experienced. I started at 12mg commercially available mixes - and systematically worked all the way down to mixing my own juice with barely a trace of nicotine. There’s almost no definitive scientific evidence to settle the question, “Does nicotine help relieve pain?”, so I opted to be guided by my own experience. Nicotine wasn’t helping me.

However, I’ve been really pleased to discover that I do get some essential pain relief by immersing myself in the rituals and sensations of vaping at low wattages (40W-50W) with smooth flavors of 0mg, 70VG/30PG e-juices. I’m certain that this result has a large “psychosomatic” component: it kindles old memories of the tension relieved by a long overdue cigarette; it diverts my attention from painful stimuli and involves me in enjoying the taste and aroma and dancing clouds (small, but happy!) of vapor I can make; it is something relaxing - with no discernible side effects - that I can do after exercise sessions, before going to sleep, etc.

Am I just completely weird - which is perfectly acceptable to me! - or are there other people here on Vaping Underground who have similar experiences with pain management and vaping? I would like to find a way of connecting with them - and I will also appreciate any other responses y’all have to my “new member introduction.” Again, I apologize for the length of this post.

Stay happy, healthy, safe and sane!

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Sorry about the length of this first post by a new member! Feel free to skip it!

Hi, folks! I’m a new member who has been exploring whether vaping can be a useful tool for me in managing significant chronic pain (as a result of advancing age [68], arthritis, fibromyalgia, widespread nerve damage from Guillain-Barre Syndrome, etc.). I used Tramadol for almost 20 years, but my doctor helped me give that up three years ago - when I found that the drug was masking my ability to tell the difference between “phantom” pain and pain that originated from an injury, inflammation, etc. Despite the challenges posed by my situation, I have managed to stay relatively mobile, generally healthy, and happy (hence “Smilin’ Kev” as my nom de plume).

I quit smoking almost 40 years ago, so I was very cautious in my approach to e-juices that contained nicotine. It didn’t take me long to discover that - at least for me - the presence of nicotine in the liquid didn’t make any difference in the levels or types of pain I experienced. I started at 12mg commercially available mixes - and systematically worked all the way down to mixing my own juice with barely a trace of nicotine. There’s almost no definitive scientific evidence to settle the question, “Does nicotine help relieve pain?”, so I opted to be guided by my own experience. Nicotine wasn’t helping me.

However, I’ve been really pleased to discover that I do get some essential pain relief by immersing myself in the rituals and sensations of vaping at low wattages (40W-50W) with smooth flavors of 0mg, 70VG/30PG e-juices. I’m certain that this result has a large “psychosomatic” component: it kindles old memories of the tension relieved by a long overdue cigarette; it diverts my attention from painful stimuli and involves me in enjoying the taste and aroma and dancing clouds (small, but happy!) of vapor I can make; it is something relaxing - with no discernible side effects - that I can do after exercise sessions, before going to sleep, etc.

Am I just completely weird - which is perfectly acceptable to me! - or are there other people here on Vaping Underground who have similar experiences with pain management and vaping? I would like to find a way of connecting with them - and I will also appreciate any other responses y’all have to my “new member introduction.” Again, I apologize for the length of this post.

Stay happy, healthy, safe and sane!

Welcome to VU :wave:

It's always been my personal belief that folks who say nicotine aids pain relief through vaping were actually experiencing pain relief because they had given up combustible tobacco which often aggravates pain from chronic conditions (I have no idea how badly smoking had contributed to my RA issues for instance)

If this is true (I have not idea, lol) you, who has not smoked for 40 years, would not get that benefit and hence, hence no pain relief from vaping nicotine

With that said, there are studies that show nicotine can help decrease symptoms of Parkinson's and even Alzheimers

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Welcome, Kev! Thanks for sharing; I bet you will find a few or more people here to connect with :D

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First I've heard of nic relieving pain. Its suppose to be good for your memory but I don't believe the pain relief claim. If you want to vape for pain relief get the CBD vape juice

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
First I've heard of nic relieving pain. Its suppose to be good for your memory but I don't believe the pain relief claim. If you want to vape for pain relief get the CBD vape juice

It doesn't look like you read Kev's post very well at all o_O

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

It doesn't look like you read Kev's post very well at all o_O

I don't know, seems like a valid suggestion to me - a lot of people are experiencing significant relief by vaping CBD - I almost suggested it myself

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I don't know, seems like a valid suggestion to me - a lot of people are experiencing significant relief by vaping CBD - I almost suggested it myself

OP is saying he IS getting pain relief, not asking for help Finding pain relief

And his pain relief is from vaping 0mg nicotine

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I fail to see the idiotic point to calling it "0mg nicotine" - if it's zero it's free of nic.

That said, I am pretty sure my 2#/mo habit of handrolling was due to the rotten hip - of course I buttressed that with about 2x30pack of beer a week, too. Necrotic Arthritis is unpleasant - being misdiagnosed and pretty well ridiculed by idiotic doctors for over a decade was worse.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
OP is saying he IS getting pain relief, not asking for help Finding pain relief

And his pain relief is from vaping 0mg nicotine

He also asked about nicotine and pain relief and says he thinks its the rituals of vaping - not the actual vapor - is helping his maladies.

CBD might help the OP significantly also, whether through vaping it or using a tincture internally or externally, or a combination.

Chronic pain sufferers usually have to approach pain and tension relief from many different angles, sometimes one piece at a time

r3wt

Member For 1 Year
if kratom is legal in your state, i would suggest researching it, and if you deem it safe, trying it for pain management. I tried it on vacation and while it doesn't get you high like opiates, it did effectively manage my pain. I have also tried cbd and while less effective, it does offer some relief. they make eliquid, oral suspensions, candies, and topical creams. oddly enough, i am also "recovering" from guillan-barre. anyway, welcome to the forums. see ya around

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Welcome, I too battle nerve pain from gullian barre. I've found that about anything that distracts me from the pain is helpful. Keep on tinkering with vape stuff! Good to hear 0 nic, no need to fight that devil if you don't have too...

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Good For You, we all wish we could find some pain relief. People like me, you and whoever else might have a pain disorder look for whatever works. If it was standing on one foot saying the abc I would not question it just do it. From one constant pain suffer to another congrats. Don't question it just go with it, I know I would.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Welcome aboard :wave:

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator