Become a Patron!

On Vape reviewers 'making' atomizers and reviews....

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Delicious drama. Did Phil go nuts over not-so-stellar reviews of "his" tank, or was it mostly his fan base reacting? Vic is one of the few folk I can actually, willingly, invest some time into letting talk. While I agree that reviewers should steer clear of jumping into their own backyard pools, I understand why they do. It's only natural to want to claim a larger and larger stake in whatever field you're running in - given the chance, the opportunity, I completely understand why they'd go in that direction. That being said, it makes it really hard to take other reviewers' words for anything more than game-playing-lip-service when it happens. When users, regular folk start singing praises - then I'll start taking a closer look.

I almost jumped on Rip's Pharaoh, but opted for the Kensei 24 instead. I think I made the right choice, the Kensei is pretty good. The Pharaoh is being manufactured and distributed by Digiflavor, which - in the end - I'm still not 100% cool with giving my money to, after the Siren v1 fiasco. Wasting my time, money, and not making a wrong, purely on their end, right again. So I'll give some other Chinese company my money, thank-you-very-much.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was not impressed with the pepper shaker style of air jets under the coil.
Holes in the under coil air jets total lots more air flow under the coil than comes in the base under most AFC settings. This equals lower velocity air hitting the coil.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Was just looking thru the comments on the review in question and notice that Busardo's comment was edited....
Wish I had checked it before it was edited....

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
He is not the most knowledgeable reviewer on electrical aspects but he does his best to do good reviews.
I like him as well.[/Q
Was just looking thru the comments on the review in question and notice that Busardo's comment was edited....
Wish I had checked it before it was edited....

It probably stands as it originally did, with minor edits or additions. Vic's response got more Thumbs

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Todd has commented that Busardo and Dimitri's atty is not a 'true' MTL atty.

Here is Todd's excellent review on the atty.

Last edited:

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Todd has commented that Busardo and Dimitri's atty is not a 'true' MTL atty.
Running on assumptions alone, I'd be willing to wager he's right. I've looked, I've wasted my money a couple times now, and the closest I can find to a true, legit MTL is the Kayfun 5. Even then, even with the restriction plug-n-play pieces installed, on one "pip" of airflow, still a little more... generous with the O2 than I'd sometimes like. Got the Prime on it's way in to me, so I can't speak to that.

What I'm getting at, is the MTL Dream Machine is my dragon that I chase with an open wallet and goofy, dumbfounded eyes. The Ares... well... yeah, I guess that could do well as a "true" MTL vape, I can't say it's bo-honkey though without trying it. At the price of admission, I'll wait to see how well the Prime fits my criteria and either continue rocking along in search of, or sit happily with my new daily driver.

However, the Merlin Mini, Chuthulu MTL, Siren, Serpent Alto - all touted as killer MTL vapes by many, all loosey-goosey restrictive lunghits and sitting in a drawer now, unused.

I was not impressed with the pepper shaker style of air jets under the coil.
Holes in the under coil air jets total lots more air flow under the coil than comes in the base under most AFC settings. This equals lower velocity air hitting the coil.
On the inverse, I dig the honeycomb airflow feature. I feel the bigger overall area of air flow is a benefit, while the smaller holes means less juice getting into the AFC. It's a nice transitional piece that fits well between drippers and a tighter, all-day vape. Like a dripper except slightly more restricted.

I mostly dig it because of the ease of wicking, the big ol' deck, wide post holes and that honeycomb airflow system - as gimmick as it may be.

Not a super big fan of the bulbed, extended tank section, but it's growing on me. I guess. :)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On the inverse, I dig the honeycomb airflow feature. I feel the bigger overall area of air flow is a benefit, while the smaller holes means less juice getting into the AFC. It's a nice transitional piece that fits well between drippers and a tighter, all-day vape. Like a dripper except slightly more restricted.
Not saying that the pepper shaker style of under coil air diffuser is a bad thing. Just that it is not best for a true tight draw MTL vape.
And I am certainly not saying that the tank is not a good vape, just that it missed the boat on being an outstanding true MTL vape. which is what it is marketed as.

I think I would like the vape from the tank, however I do not like a true MTL vape.
Never did really.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not saying that the pepper shaker style of under coil air diffuser is a bad thing. Just that it is not best for a true tight draw MTL vape.
And I am certainly not saying that the tank is not a good vape, just that it missed the boat on being an outstanding true MTL vape. which is what it is marketed as.

I think I would like the vape from the tank, however I do not like a true MTL vape.
Never did really.
Ahh, I see where our disconnect is at, now. I certainly don't use it as a MTL vape - far from it. In fact, can't say that's even crept itself into my head, yet. It's an ever-so-slightly-restricted-lunghit piece, through and through - for me, anyway. In fact, I'd wager a tough bet that, by nature of being a dual-coil-only setup, I've yet to find anything close to it that wasn't meant, in one way or another, to be rocked with some thick clouds. Call me a nutball, but I don't think dual coils can properly restrict down to "true" MTL without being... funky.

In it's defense, the single-coil-only feature was the one and only thing really interesting me about the Pharaoh.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahh, I see where our disconnect is at, now. I certainly don't use it as a MTL vape - far from it. In fact, can't say that's even crept itself into my head, yet. It's an ever-so-slightly-restricted-lunghit piece, through and through - for me, anyway. In fact, I'd wager a tough bet that, by nature of being a dual-coil-only setup, I've yet to find anything close to it that wasn't meant, in one way or another, to be rocked with some thick clouds. Call me a nutball, but I don't think dual coils can properly restrict down to "true" MTL without being... funky.

In it's defense, the single-coil-only feature was the one and only thing really interesting me about the Pharaoh.
I too prefer single coil RBA, RTA and RDA's.
I like to run paralell coils in some of them.
2 wires in a single coil.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I too prefer single coil RBA, RTA and RDA's.
I like to run paralell coils in some of them.
2 wires in a single coil.
Aye. I still maintain that my best vape experience yet was with a single, chunky and long 24g kanthal parallel coil in my old school Avocado v1. Loved that little set up to pieces.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Tend to agree with what Vic was saying here if you are releasing a tank or product nobody should expect other people to tickle your balls for you...doesn’t matter how bigger name you think you are, it should be left to stand on its own merits and done

And if you can’t take Critisms on a product how do you improve going forward...it’s not expected outside of reviewers products why should it be the same here waaay to much of it going on this year

Although one point I will pick up on is he said he had something to do with the design of the airflow in the siren 2 (in his actual review of the Ares) which removes his impartial position somewhat ...so that shouldn’t be ignored entirely but I thought Vics review on the Ares was measured and he took time to properly go through why he said what he said and how to improve it ...right or wrong that’s his opinion and should be respected

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
If it turns out Vic was well involved in the siren 2 and got pissy over someone else having similar ideas then slamming the Ares just to get one up ....that’s a different thing entirely and Phil would be right to go nuts

Guess we don’t know everything that goes on behind the scenes do we ;)

As spectators though unless there’s a reviewer bun fight and Phil puts out a vid as well we shall be left to speculate on it

Last edited:

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Delicious drama. Did Phil go nuts over not-so-stellar reviews of "his" tank, or was it mostly his fan base reacting? Vic is one of the few folk I can actually, willingly, invest some time into letting talk. While I agree that reviewers should steer clear of jumping into their own backyard pools, I understand why they do. It's only natural to want to claim a larger and larger stake in whatever field you're running in - given the chance, the opportunity, I completely understand why they'd go in that direction. That being said, it makes it really hard to take other reviewers' words for anything more than game-playing-lip-service when it happens. When users, regular folk start singing praises - then I'll start taking a closer look.

I almost jumped on Rip's Pharaoh, but opted for the Kensei 24 instead. I think I made the right choice, the Kensei is pretty good. The Pharaoh is being manufactured and distributed by Digiflavor, which - in the end - I'm still not 100% cool with giving my money to, after the Siren v1 fiasco. Wasting my time, money, and not making a wrong, purely on their end, right again. So I'll give some other Chinese company my money, thank-you-very-much.
The Kensie 24 is definitely better but then again I've had much luck with Vandy Vape attys.
As for this Ares tank. It's good but definitely not the best :)

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Berserker definitely beats this. 24mm or not. The flavour is better and not had the flooding people speak of!!

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Interesting point about reviewers who can't take criticism. Designing and reviewing is sort of a conflict of interest wouldn't you say?

Absolutely! Would be like shopping for a new car and seeing vehicles with the Consumer Reports sticker!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just Watched Dean the Vaping bikers vlog.
He also says the Phil-Dimitri RTA "does not go down tight enough".

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Still watching Deans Vlog. He and Todd were joking about not speaking ill of any reviewers attys.
the vlog has already exceeded a 'full Busardo' in length.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Vic says reviewers should not be involved with production of hardware, but he was involved with the Siren V2, and had pushed the hell out of the Siren V2, also said people said flavor was bad on the Siren V1 because of the airflow diffuser, bullshit, most people loved the flavor from Siren V1, biggest complaint was leaking from the V1.

I was really looking forward to the Siren V2, but with the flavor is now muted on that tank, and believe it is due to the new 3 holes under the coil, where the flavor on the Ares is great with the multi holes under the deck, but I do love the top fill on the Siren V2, but the top fill seeps on me for the Ares.

As all tanks, they have pro's and con's, but all Vic did was list cons and mention his V2 100 times throughout the review, he was bias and just talked crap, funny in his latest video, he said he wouldn't be doing reviews for certain tanks, but of course digiflavor he listed he would still be doing, if people can't see he is bias because he has been involved with Siren V2, then they are blind.

But will add, Phil should of just stayed quiet, not helping himself getting involved with the drama.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
It appears that Vaping With Vic broke the unwritten vape 'reviewers' rule.

I know that many do not really care for him and his reviews but he makes a valid point.

Only four minutes into this and he already got one point wrong: Jai Haze does not take criticism well at all - that mother fucker and his girl toy chased me all over this forum calling me a tranny and all kinds of names when I questioned his judgement - and I was nice about how I disagreed

He got into troll territory in his BS - totally off his meds type of loony :crazy:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah can't watch Jai Haze or some of the others that Vic seems to like....

Vic is ok but not a Todd or Dean for sure.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think Vic started it off salty and he knew it. Spent the whole video comparing it to the siren v2 which he had involvement with so toss 'unbiased' out the window. He may have had a credible standpoint but shit all over it in his delivery. The whole thing was condescending from the start, oh well there's a nice photo of phil and dimitris.. is he salty his pic didn't get put on the siren? Oh well this comes with some little tools but they're not needed, I have a COILmaster kit. Big fucking whoop, and I have a DRILL. What's his point? What coil tools did the siren come with, the standard cheapo triple tree?

These reviewers are often just like anyone else, they start off with 'Well I don't want to cause any drama, let me be clear'. Bull - fucking - shit. That's a clear indicator drama is about to begin and they're full to the brim with it.

Phil could've likely done without the original comments he made. Fwiw he did apologize and owned up to the fact he could have handled it differently. Gotta say though, wasn't completely without merit. That wasn't a straight review simply going over the rta from start to finish then commenting on it. It was a full on rant from the start and Vic was acting like a snarky lil bitch and so he got his mouth popped effectively by Phil's kneejerk comment. He had it coming. Anyone who says that was a totally legit unbiased and straightforward 'review' is busy smoking Vic's pole.

Personally I think people need to either avoid slapping their name on anything or having a part in something - or go ahead and take that route then expect the bias to flow. It's no different than anything else. Athletes have been doing it for decades, pc gamers have been doing it for a good decade or more. Fatal1ty had his name slapped all over all kinds of shit from motherboards to gpu's to gaming mice. Fans are going to think it's the best thing since sliced bread, haters will immediately accuse them of selling out or ripping things off and somewhere in between will be some who genuinely like/dislike whatever it is based on its own merits. Doesn't matter if it's a shoe, a glove, a bat, a mouse or a mod or rta/rda. Same shit different day.

At this point, who isn't coming out with something either with their name on it or in collaboration with something? Vaping bogan, Vic, suck my mod, Twisted Messes, Phil and Dimitris, Squidoode, Jai Haze, Jay Bo, Roxy, Rip Trippers etc etc.. and countless more have their own lines of juice. Not sure of too many reviewers these days who don't have their fingers in the cookie jar in one way or another. Whether out of desire to contribute to vaping or a means to put food on the table and cover the cost of doing reviews, none of my business really. Very few have a complete unbiased starting point anymore though as time goes on.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
44B4A93600000578-0-An_after_school_brawl_at_Crescenta_Valley_High_School_in_Califor-m-37_1506354713032.jpg

VU Sponsors