Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Bulimia and anorexia have a cousin called orthorexia nervosa—a pathological obsession with “proper” nutrition, characterized by a restrictive diet, ritualized eating patterns, and rigid avoidance of foods seen as unhealthy or impure

Unbelievable....goddamn there are some wackos out there in our backyards.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How's your garden doing Dale? We have had a great year so far, plenty of rain and things are just doing betterthis year
Mine is doing fantastic for not even planting anything, I have tomatoes and melons up the ass, just from shit I tossed in there this past winter (I assume). Have melens bigger than footballs, they been growing a couple inches aday. Should have cherry maters in a few weeks.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This should be a very productive year

We had almost all of our 150 potato starts come up already, I think there is like 3 to start yet
The garden in Ecuador is kinda like Rich's (slow)....it's been colder than normal with a lot of rain. Guava, papaya, mangos, et al are about a month behind last years harvest.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just thought I'd post this pic of some crazy guy up on my roof today putting black tarry goop in the roof cracks. Oh wait, that is me!

100_1422B.jpg
That's way zoomed in from the original (which showed most of the house and some nasty spots in the paint because my ancient ass hasn't found a day worthy of repainting yet).

Note all that blue sky behind me. National weather guessers had our whole area in a severe thunderstorm active area for all day and the local dudes said we had a chance of evening thunderstorms. Neither forecast happened. Other than some thin cirrus, there still isn't a cloud in the sky. I hope the patching I did today works because they say we will have heavy rain all day tomorrow.

After bringing my tired old ass back down from on high, Lannie and I went out to the garden to work on the tomato tubs, which we hope to plant in the next couple days.

Last edited:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
When I seen the blue sky my first thought was you HAD to Photoshop that image......:teehee:
Given the weather we have been having, today felt like the perfect day to just lie around in the sun, but we have way too much work to do and I am months behind in my schedule. And the forecast tells me I won't get much done in the coming three days either.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Given the weather we have been having, today felt like the perfect day to just lie around in the sun, but we have way too much work to do and I am months behind in my schedule. And the forecast tells me I won't get much done in the coming three days either.
More rain coming?....I haven't looked, but surely not shocked.....:eek:

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't know if anybody cares, but I thought I'd flesh out Rich's chicken story a little bit. Not only did that new mama say bad words to me when I tried to shoosh a couple of the chicks out of a corner, but she actually FED THEM FIRST when I tossed treats to them. Previously, she'd been eating for herself, which is fine in the closed up barn, because I can make sure the babies get enough to eat, but if they go outside, she'll have to find food (bugs, worms, seeds, etc.) for them and make sure they get to eat them. What a mama hen does is pick up the "tasty tidbit," whatever that might be, and make a specific clucking sound that means "Come here, there's food." (Yes, chickens have a language, and I've managed to learn most of it.) When she makes that sound, the chicks all run to her, and she drops the tidbit in front of them, the fastest one being the lucky one to eat it. But she has all day to find food for them, and eventually they all get enough. :)

So yesterday morning, the fact that she fed the babies before she stuffed her own face, and that she cussed me out royally for messing with "her" babies, was what I'd been waiting for, and I knew she had fully accepted them as her own, and would care for and protect them with her life. So we left the door open and allowed them to free range if they wanted. I'm not sure they went very far, if they even left the barn, because I checked on them mid-day and they were snugged down in the hay chaff in the barn, taking a snooze, and when we went out to do evening chores, she had them all gathered under or right next to her, getting ready to go to sleep. Daddy rooster wouldn't go in when we shut the door, so he had to sleep in the cow barn on the other side, but he was waiting at the hay room door bright and early this morning, so I let him in with them and gave everybody some treats. They're locked inside right now, but I'll go ahead and spring them when we go out to do chores in a couple hours.

Also, there's still no sign of Ms. Coyote this morning, which is good. All is quiet and peaceful at the moment, and hopefully will STAY that way. Jasper's still moping, but at least he's barking when he hears something, and he does get up and patrol every now and then, so he's improving a bit.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Pharm D Solutions, LLC Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of All Sterile Compounded Drugs Due to a Potential Lack of Sterility Assurance

May 24, 2019 -- Houston, Texas, Pharm D Solutions, LLC is voluntarily recalling all sterile compounded drug products within expiry to the consumer level. These drug products are being voluntarily recalled due to concerns that practices at the pharmacy have the potential to pose a risk of contamination to products that are intended to be sterile. These concerns arose following a routine inspection of the pharmacy by FDA.

Supposedly Houston, Texas, but I wonder...

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
U.S. District Judge Keith P. Ellison for the Southern District of Texassigned and entered a consent decree of permanent injunction, ordering a Texas-based company and its owners to stop producing compounded drugs intended to be sterile until the company complies with the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act) and other requirements. According to the complaint, despite previous warnings from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Pharm D Solutions, LLC, as well as the company's owners, Luis R. De Leon and Juan C. De Leon, continued to violate the law, putting patients at risk.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...e-due-to-insanitary-conditions-300855351.html

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thunderstorms on and off all day... they passed barely north of us, barely south of us, and several ran right over us. Wind went from dead calm (high temp 75) to cold downrush winds of about 50 mph (temp dropped 15 degrees and pretty much stayed there). Rain went from light showers to hellacious downpours that turned the whole place into a huge lake. I suspect one lightning strike (huge and straight down) might have hit the old church on a little hill 3 miles west of us - the kaboom that followed in seconds rattled all our windows. And, the major bummer: all that scary roof climbing bullshit I did yesterday to seal cracks in the roof did not stop the water from coming though our ceiling. Now what? If I can't figure out where it is getting in, I can't fix it.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thunderstorms on and off all day... they passed barely north of us, barely south of us, and several ran right over us. Wind went from dead calm (high temp 75) to cold downrush winds of about 50 mph (temp dropped 15 degrees and pretty much stayed there). Rain went from light showers to hellacious downpours that turned the whole place into a huge lake. I suspect one lightning strike (huge and straight down) might have hit the old church on a little hill 3 miles west of us - the kaboom that followed in seconds rattled all our windows. And, the major bummer: all that scary roof climbing bullshit I did yesterday to seal cracks in the roof did not stop the water from coming though our ceiling. Now what? If I can't figure out where it is getting in, I can't fix it.
Have an attic to view the underside of the roof?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Was fairly decent today, although the temps are rising (like they should have a month ago)....sigh.... I was hoping the entire summer would be in the 70's....wishful thinking I guess....:teehee:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Have an attic to view the underside of the roof?
Yes and no. The attic access is a tiny door in the outside wall up near the roof peak. A child might be able to crawl in there but I can't. The place where the water is actually coming into the house is a roof with no attic space, but about 6" between the outside roof and inside ceiling with some moldy insulation between.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes and no. The attic access is a tiny door in the outside wall up near the roof peak. A child might be able to crawl in there but I can't. The place where the water is actually coming into the house is a roof with no attic space, but about 6" between the outside roof and inside ceiling with some moldy insulation between.
I see.....What is it a metal roof?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Prolly seams loosening.
That is very possible, but the seams look like this (pardon my quick drawing):
roof.JPG
That, of course, puts both the seam and the screw ABOVE any likely ponding of water, which does not occur at all on the steep slope but might be happening on the shallow slopes.
Or screws completely missing, which I find often. How they backout and disappear is beyond me, but some do.
I have looked at every seam on the shallow slope and no screws are missing. I found some loose ones, tightened them, and put a dab of goop around them to be sure they are not the entry point.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
With all that hurricane force wind you get, water could be getting in the tiniest spots. I'd get some self-tapping screws and have at it.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So you still suspect the seams? Well, I suppose, what have I got to lose by screwing $10 worth of self-tappers into this problem? Unlikely that I can make it worse and if it fixes the headache....... o_O

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So you still suspect the seams? Well, I suppose, what have I got to lose by screwing $10 worth of self-tappers into this problem? Unlikely that I can make it worse and if it fixes the headache....... o_O
I'd give it a shot. Metal roofs are good for numerous years, but with all the wind and vibration caused by wind, I'd bet there are loose seams. Their hard to see too.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
OK, next "dry day" I'll try to screw up the courage to climb that damn ladder again and check every seam up there.

In the mean time, I think it is time to put my ancient ass to bed. I'll catch ya tomorrow.

P.S. Kratom is on order.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OK, next "dry day" I'll try to screw up the courage to climb that damn ladder again and check every seam up there.

In the mean time, I think it is time to put my ancient ass to bed. I'll catch ya tomorrow.

P.S. Kratom is on order.
Yep, and #MeTo....working tomorrow as usual........:crazy:

VU Sponsors