Old Pharts Club

Discussion in 'Non-Vaping Related' started by The Cromwell, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Draconigena

Draconigena Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
  2. The Cromwell

The Cromwell The Frugal Vapist VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    74 deg here today and quite windy.

Just got back from taking SIL to dentist and spending almost $800 on her mouth....
    $4A0AF85AB653DD60.gif

inspects likes this.
  3. Draconigena

Blog Posts:
    Crom, maybe this is none of my F'ing business, but why are YOU paying for your SIL's dentist bills? And if she is a dependent, do you get to claim her on your taxes?

inspects likes this.
  4. The Cromwell

The Cromwell The Frugal Vapist VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Umm because I am married to her sister and it is not ALL my money. Wife unit draws decent SS as well.
    And maybe I am a bit stupit? And not as mean as I should be?

JuicyLucy and inspects like this.
  5. inspects

inspects Squonkamaniac Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    Looking good, Rich....!

upload_2019-3-14_21-18-37.png

I see you made it out alive.......:vino:

Draconigena and The Cromwell like this.
  6. inspects

inspects Squonkamaniac Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    Doesn't the SIL collect SS?

Damn, your not the frugal vapist? you claim.......:teehee:

Perhaps frugal buying vape stuff, but anything else is a Go.......:giggle:

JuicyLucy likes this.
  7. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    She collects minimal SS as in SS disability.
    Never paid in a lot as she could not properly hold down a regular job and did freelance work mostly.

My needs are small and I have the vape stuff I want now.
    I was a vape seeker but have found my way now :)
    Aside from a couple of white Squeezes I have felt no urge to buy any vape stuff this year.
    Keep watching Todd and some review vape stuff and nothing yanks my chain.
    Just satisfied with what I have.

CaFF, JuicyLucy and inspects like this.
  8. inspects

Blog Posts:
    True.... SS disability ain't jackshit....well it's good you helped out. Nothing worse than a toof-ache....:oops:

The Cromwell and JuicyLucy like this.
  9. Draconigena

Blog Posts:
    As I said last night, the snow stopped earlier than the forecast implied, but the wind didn't. I cannot even tell you how much snow we got (5"? 8"? 12"?) because with the wind doing 40mph gusting to about 60 yesterday, any snow that fell over our property didn't touch ground until Nebraska. There are, however, some new 10-12-foot high drifts that probably fell in North Dakota and landed in my yard. That truck driver fella who slept on our couch last night left after coffee this morning (it was not snowing, but we still had 35-40 mph wind) and his boss called me 10 minutes later to tell me he was stuck and would I let him come back here for a few hours. He only made it 1/2 miles down the highway before he ran into a 5-foot high drift that went all the way across the highway, so he had to back up his rig to our driveway. We put boots on his feet and dragged him out to the barns to help with morning chores, then fed him breakfast and BS'd until we finally saw a snow plow coming down the road. He managed to get out then - or at least we never heard from him again. Nice guy. I do not know how he spells his name (Juvie?) but it was pronounced Who-Vee. Anyway, the wind never died down today, so I couldn't use bob to clear out the drifts. There was absolutely no indication that I had ever made any paths to the barns, but to clear them in this wind would be wasted effort. Hopefully the wind will be lighter tomorrow.

inspects likes this.
  10. Draconigena

Blog Posts:
    SSD is still based on your prior contribution, so if you had a high wage before becoming disabled, the pay will be higher (equivalent to what you would make if it were regular retirement). I was designated 100% disabled 19 years ago and collected the same pay "as if" I was retiring.

The Cromwell and inspects like this.
  11. inspects

Blog Posts:
    That's interesting. I was under the impression the rate was lower for disability, although I never really looked. Good to hear your getting your fair share, before all the money's GONE......:)

12. inspects

Blog Posts:
    Damn, what a living nightmare. Glad it's over with. Hopefully till next year too....!

JuicyLucy and Draconigena like this.
  13. Draconigena

Blog Posts:
    Define "fair share." :rolleyes: Had I (or you or anyone else with a modicum of common sense) been allowed to invest the money that the government confiscated from us over all those years instead of allowing them to stick it in the general fund and use it stupidly, I would have a nest egg valued at over a million dollars and would be paying myself a lot more than the monthly stipend the Feds dole out.

inspects likes this.
  14. inspects

Blog Posts:
    Like I said, before the money is GONE....consider yourself LUCKY...!

15. inspects

Blog Posts:
    In a couple years, I doubt I'll get a penny of the money that was forcefully taken from me.

16. Draconigena

Blog Posts:
    Well, amigos, the midnight hour approacheth and this ancient fossil is about to turn into a pumpkin (or is it dust?), so I'm gonna see if I can remember where my bed is and hope I wake on the morrow with less pain than this bod has at the moment. I am, of course, asking the same for Lannie, who managed to fall down the porch stairs tonight. Sigh...

inspects likes this.
  17. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    Been allowed to invest?
    The majority of humans will save virtually nothing for retirement on their own.
    At least the Merican variety of humans.

JuicyLucy likes this.
  18. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    Well off to a funeral tomorrow. Same funeral I went to last Saturday.

JuicyLucy likes this.
  19. inspects

Blog Posts:
    Oh yeah, come to Poppa........:cheers:

upload_2019-3-15_20-34-13.png

20. Draconigena

Blog Posts:
    Well, the sky was blue, the sun attempted to toast some slush (welcome to Mud Season) and it got all the way up to 34 (33.8) with a wind of only 5-10 mph, so I cranked up bob and spent twice as much time moving wind-packed snow (compressed concrete) as would normally have been necessary, but all the pathways are once again open.

inspects and JuicyLucy like this.
  21. JuicyLucy

JuicyLucy My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years VU Challenge Team ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Wow, two funerals, same dead person? Lucky Cromwell...

The Cromwell likes this.
  22. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    And this is not the first time the wife unit has done this to me.

23. JuicyLucy

JuicyLucy My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years VU Challenge Team ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    That's one I don't get - can see holding two services under a few circumstances, but going twice seems morbid

24. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    yep it is sometimes morbid to listen to ones spouse and go when there is no funeral and then go again when there is.
    And this is not the first time it has been done to me.
    And another time we went to the wrong town/funeral home.

inspects likes this.
  25. JuicyLucy

Blog Posts:
  26. inspects

Blog Posts:
    :cry:

27. Draconigena

Blog Posts:
    Funny, all these posts and I didn't get a single e-mail alert. Anyone still here?

inspects likes this.
  28. DonBaldy

DonBaldy Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Hello sir. I never get notifications for this thread. Just got home tonight for a little spring break vacation.

inspects likes this.
  29. inspects

Blog Posts:
    Yup....hows is going Rich...Don...?

Draconigena likes this.
  30. DonBaldy

Blog Posts:
    Not bad. Tired. We went to our land in East Texas for a few days. Since our son was away at Sea Base we let our daughter bring a friend. Rained on the day we got there but decent weather the rest of the week. Lot of water in the creek so we got in a good creek walk. Sadly we had to come home. We like it there. we mostly disconnect and do family things.

31. inspects

Blog Posts:
    All the normally dry creeks washes are running water here too.....haven't seen that in ages.

JuicyLucy likes this.
  32. DonBaldy

Blog Posts:
    There was a lot more water than we are used to seeing. When we go out in August it'll likely be mostly dry again.

inspects likes this.
  33. inspects

Blog Posts:
    I get them on and off too....like Rich said, I didn't get any notices regarding today posts either.

JuicyLucy, Draconigena and DonBaldy like this.
  34. inspects

Blog Posts:
    What part of Texas?

JuicyLucy likes this.
  35. Draconigena

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys... eyes not working well tonight, so if I misspell stuff, forgive me. Weather prognosticator suggested we would get up to 31 ºF today and my thermometer said we hit 38 ºF. All the paths I cleared out the other day turned into melted creeks but after sunset they froze again and tomorrow morning's chores will be dancing on an ice rink. Sure was nice to see all that sunshine, but then it takes five minutes in the house before you can see shit (snow blind). Anyway, I hope this weather trend continues.

DonBaldy likes this.
  36. DonBaldy

Blog Posts:
    Near Nacogdoches

37. inspects

Blog Posts:
    At least it's not melting all at once, causing havoc, to your havoc......:)

In another week it should be smooth sailing (i hope).....:vino:

DonBaldy likes this.
  38. inspects

Blog Posts:
    Beautiful part of the country.....:vino:......

DonBaldy and JuicyLucy like this.
  39. inspects

Blog Posts:
    You have a house there, Don?....or plan on building one?

JuicyLucy likes this.
  40. Draconigena

Blog Posts:
    As long as the temp stays above freezing for the high but less than mid-40s, the meltage will be tolerable (welcome to Mus Season), but if it goes too high lltoo soon, those 6-8 foot high snow piles on either side of the paths that bobcat made (where else was I supposed to put all that shit?) will, in fact, make me have to go buy a sailboat, which is the only way we'd pull off that "smooth sailing." :)

inspects likes this.
  41. inspects

Blog Posts:
    I can picture it now, Rich.

Was looking at the guessers 4-cast yesterday, looks decent for a slow melt, but that's just my guess too....:devil:

Draconigena likes this.
  42. inspects

Blog Posts:
    Well I have to work tomorrow, better get my ass out of here. Have a great Sunday, everyone.

43. Draconigena

Blog Posts:
    I hope you are right. Our 10-day forecast seems to have a few 40s in it. I have asked the Big Guy to stop with the white shit for this year. :)

Given that it is just after midnight, I better put my old butt to bed too. Yak at everyone again tomorrow.

44. DonBaldy

Blog Posts:
    Sorry I kind of got sucked into putting a build in a new RTA.

It's land that been in my wife's family for almost 100 years. Just shy of 300 acres. Plenty of space to roam, hike, shoot. No neighbors close, but close enough to help out if needed. No modern sounds. Just coyotes, dogs from near by properties, wild hogs, deer, cows, and birds.

Yes there is a small house on the property. Kind of rustic, but not too much so. It does have running water and electricity. Within the last few years central AC and head were added. 3 bed rooms 1 1/2 bath. No shower. There is also a loft that the kids seem to like to sleep in especially if they have a friend or if cousins are there.

Needless to say it's our own piece of heaven.

inspects and Draconigena like this.
  45. Draconigena

Blog Posts:
  46. inspects

Blog Posts:
    hahaha.....:devil:

Was probably decent today compared to the past month....just guessing tho.

47. inspects

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like a piece of heaven....!

JuicyLucy likes this.
  48. inspects

Blog Posts:
    Anyone do anything exciting today?

I worked, but I'm not tomorrow.....Monday is a good day to sleep in, not really care about much, let phone calls go to voicemail, etc......

I MUST BE HALLUCINATING...:gaah:... gotta ton of shit to do tomorrow......:oops:

JuicyLucy likes this.
  49. Draconigena

Blog Posts:
    Yup. Sunshine and 38 with light breeze. Got lots of chores done and didn't even wear a coat (OK, it was a long sleeve shirt). :)

inspects likes this.
  50. inspects

Blog Posts:
    Perfect Rich....glad the snow isn't melting like the ice caps at the poles.....:giggle: