Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Don't bother changing the clocks.....I haven't in about 35 years
If I remember correctly, Arizona does not participate in Daylight Saving Time anyway. We tried one year to not change our clocks and were always missing our favorite TV programs.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's warmer in Juice's neck of the woods than it's been in yours for quite some time.....what is she 1000 miles north of you......:teehee:

Talk about poor luck.........wow....!

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Was it above freezing today, Rich?
If I remember, it was right on the line at 32. I spent about three hours pushing snow and realized my smart-ass comments about moving a couple hundred tons of snow weren't that far off. The max bucket load for my bobcat is 800 pounds. Any more than that and you tip on your nose as soon as you try to raise the bucket, and I have done that with a bucket full of wet icy snow a few times in the past, so I typically scoop just a tad less. Maybe it is 600 or 700 pounds, but for ease of calculations, I am going to say the average bucket of snow is 500 pounds. Today I moved 427 buckets, which does not include the snow I bulldozed instead of scooping and dumping. Anyway, that calculates out to just over 106 tons of snow I scooped and piled today.

Last edited:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rich.....do you remember the Salt River which runs through PHX?

I crossed it in Mesa today, first time in about 20 years I've seen water FLOWING down the (usually) dry-riverbed.

And I mean LOTS of water, they must be releasing water from the dams. The river must have been 100-150 feet wide and at least 10 foot deep. One lane of road was closed, the one missing the bridge heading west, the east side of the road has a bridge. I assume both bridges were washed away back in the 80's when we had that 1000 year flood, but they only built one bridge rather than two on the four lane road.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If I remember, it was right on the line at 32. I spent about three hours pushing snow and realized my smart-ass comments about moving a couple hundred tons of snow weren't that far off. The max bucket load for my bobcat is 800 pounds. Any more than that and you tip on your nose as soon as you try to raise the bucket, and I have done with with a bucket full of wet icy snow in the past, so I typically scoop just a tad less. Maybe it is 600 or 700 pounds, but for ease of calculations, I am going to say the average bucket of snow is 500 pounds. Today I moved 427 buckets, which does not include the snow I bulldozed instead of scooping and dumping. Anyway, that calculates out to just over 106 tons of snow I scooped and piled today.
I'd say your calculations are very well within reason.... Yep....you moved a shitload of snow.....!

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rich.....do you remember the Salt River which runs through PHX?

I crossed it in Mesa today, first time in about 20 years I've seen water FLOWING down the (usually) dry-riverbed.

And I mean LOTS of water, they must be releasing water from the dams. The river must have been 100-150 feet wide and at least 10 foot deep. One lane of road was closed, the one missing the bridge heading west, the east side of the road has a bridge. I assume both bridges were washed away back in the 80's when we had that 1000 year flood, but they only built one bridge rather than two on the four lane road.
Too bad the idiots in the republic of cali haven't built any water reservoirs, to save a few trillion gallons of water runoff for their vast (mental) drought.......NOPE....instead, they spent a few billion on a bullet train to nowhere....then shitcanned that idea.....:blah:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Too bad the idiots in the republic of cali haven't built any water reservoirs
I have watched that state over the years abuse and drain dozens of lakes. They have no clue at all how to handle water management. And it seems to me that every single decision their government makes, regardless of subject, fills the pockets of their friends and fucks the citizens.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have watched that state over the years abuse and drain dozens of lakes. They have no clue at all how to handle water management. And it seems to me that every single decision their government makes, regardless of subject, fills the pockets of their friends and fucks the citizens.
Yup, I believe that's in the Marx handbook (field-guide)....:vino:

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How you been, Don?

SSDD here........:oops:
Not too bad. Been a long day. Took my son to the airport. He's gone to Sea Base Scout high adventure camp in the Florida Keys. Then went an picked up the troops trailer from the state park where they were camping. My daughter is now in the troop. I know many disagree with it, but I won't discourage her. She's watched her brother for 10 years and she doesn't want to sell cookies. She wants to hike 10 miles in full backpack like she did this weekend. She came home and passed out after a shower. Wife and I did the weekly grocery run then watched two movies.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not too bad. Been a long day. Took my son to the airport. He's gone to Sea Base Scout high adventure camp in the Florida Keys. Then went an picked up the troops trailer from the state park where they were camping. My daughter is now in the troop. I know many disagree with it, but I won't discourage her. She's watched her brother for 10 years and she doesn't want to sell cookies. She wants to hike 10 miles in full backpack like she did this weekend. She came home and passed out after a shower. Wife and I did the weekly grocery run then watched two movies.
Should be damn nice in the Keys....!

Couldn't have picked a better month, March is simply perfect (usually - anyway).

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Should be damn nice in the Keys....!

Couldn't have picked a better month, March is simply perfect (usually - anyway).

Yeah I'm jealous. Sea Base is on Islamorada. Tomorrow the board a 100' schooner that will be their home for next few days. Sail to Key West to snorkel and dive and then sail back to base. Come home on Sunday.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I'm jealous. Sea Base is on Islamorada. Tomorrow the board a 100' schooner that will be their home for next few days. Sail to Key West to snorkel and dive and then sail back to base. Come home on Sunday.
Nice....I've been to the Keys several times but never did any snorkeling or diving, wish I had now.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We've been involved in scouts for almost 10 years. Son will age out of the troop in November but will continue with his Venture Crew until he's 21.

I am still on the fence about girls in BSA and I understand why people are against it, but at the same time I've seen how good it was for my son and as a parent it's hard for me to not want those same experiences for my daughter. Girl scouts has fallen so far down and around here is nothing but cookie merchants.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh, it will. Mother Nature can't seem to make up her mind at the moment, but the end of July/August will be 105 ºF.
And it's right around the corner too....incredible how fast time flies.....you even lost an hour today......:devil:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some god damn mother fuckin' titty suckin' two-balled bitch decided I had to change all my clocks by an hour today and I am gettin' real tired of the stupid ass government exercising their power over the citizenry for an ancient tradition that has absolutely no value today. This crap has to stop!
Time is just a human concept anyway.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
a bit of a change the scout thing, but I think it can be a good thing.
Teaches boys to see girls as equals.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was not allowed to be in the Scouts as it was sponsored by a local Methodist church and some Methodists actually drank alcoholic beverages!

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
a bit of a change the scout thing, but I think it can be a good thing.
Teaches boys to see girls as equals.
Change is hard. The inclusion of girls into the the BSA program is going to be long evolving process like all change.

What's interesting is that the boys and girls share a charter organization and committee (for now) but are really separate troops. They don't share scout masters. This past weekends camp out was in the same park, but they camped in different camp sites. They were separated by three or more camp sites. The boys and girls also did different activities. The girls did a 10 mile hike while the boys worked on 1st class skills and the canoed.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I take the wife unit to a Methodist church and they also sponsor Scouts.
Wife was raised up Methodist. I support her church activities as long as they do not cause her to see me as a spawn of satan or somesuch.

I support Freedom of religion and also freedom from religion.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Change is hard. The inclusion of girls into the the BSA program is going to be long evolving process like all change.

What's interesting is that the boys and girls share a charter organization and committee (for now) but are really separate troops. They don't share scout masters. This past weekends camp out was in the same park, but they camped in different camp sites. They were separated by three or more camp sites. The boys and girls also did different activities. The girls did a 10 mile hike while the boys worked on 1st class skills and the canoed.

My daughters were in Brownies/Girls Scouts and I was appalled at how little scouting was involved

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

As you say change is hard and takes time.
Hopefully the boys and girls will mix more in their activities in the future.
Such as canoeing and the like.
Keep the tents separate though :)
And have both male and female leaders present for the mixed activities.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

I applaud your open mind on this

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My daughters were in Brownies/Girls Scouts and I was appalled at how little scouting was involved
I believe that's what has led BSA to make the changes. Many members of Girl Scouts have tried to change the program to return to it's roots but have had no success. Girl Scouts has evolved into a cookie business and scrap booking club. Many of these young ladies want the outdoors. They want the skills and the discipline. These girls have been watching/tagging along with their brothers for years. Girls have been included in scouting programs with BSA since 1971 starting with Explorer scouts and evolving into Venturing crews and Sea Scouts. The only real change is that now these ladies can join at age 11 and have the chance to earn the Eagle rank. Previously they had not had that opportunity.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I applaud your open mind on this
It's hard. I'm not going to lie. There's still a part of me that feels that this is a boy thing. This is a place where many young boys learn how to men.

As hard as it may be I will support my daughter and I am proud of her for wanting to be in from the start knowing the challenges that these pioneering young ladies face.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I believe that's what has led BSA to make the changes. Many members of Girl Scouts have tried to change the program to return to it's roots but have had no success. Girl Scouts has evolved into a cookie business and scrap booking club. Many of these young ladies want the outdoors. They want the skills and the discipline. These girls have been watching/tagging along with their brothers for years. Girls have been included in scouting programs with BSA since 1971 starting with Explorer scouts and evolving into Venturing crews and Sea Scouts. The only real change is that now these ladies can join at age 11 and have the chance to earn the Eagle rank. Previously they had not had that opportunity.
Thanks for that information.
I like the majority of US citizens did not realize that.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's hard. I'm not going to lie. There's still a part of me that feels that this is a boy thing. This is a place where many young boys learn how to men.

As hard as it may be I will support my daughter and I am proud of her for wanting to be in from the start knowing the challenges that these pioneering young ladies face.
But learning how to properly co-exist with the girls is part of becoming a man. Or at least it should be.
One does not have to be a macho man to be a strong man.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
The one and only camping/outdoors deal I went to the the GSA turned into a snobby BS to see who could be more strict about hand washing before eating type of thing WE WERE SUPPOSED TO BE CAMPING YOU MORONS

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The one and only camping/outdoors deal I went to the the GSA turned into a snobby BS to see who could be more strict about hand washing before eating type of thing WE WERE SUPPOSED TO BE CAMPING YOU MORONS

I will say my mind was blown when I pulled up to the camp site yesterday morning and there was a young lady standing by the tent brushing her hair. Boys don't do that shit. Hell I'll be shocked if they wipe their ass. I remember one summer camp where they were competing to see who's shirt could be work the longest and be the dirtiest. Then my daughter ran up, threw open my truck door and gave me a big hug and I remembered why I was there. For her and all of the other youth.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Scouting has given my son so many opportunities for travel and growth. I'd have to be a complete male chauvinist dick to not want the same opportunities for my daughter.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, I was a Cub Scout for only one year... there was a big group meeting (convention?) and boys and girls and parents attended with the whole nine yards of tables full of yummies. I was trying for a hypothetical merit badge, but they kicked me out for eating too many Brownies. :devil:

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I will say my mind was blown when I pulled up to the camp site yesterday morning and there was a young lady standing by the tent brushing her hair. Boys don't do that shit. Hell I'll be shocked if they wipe their ass. I remember one summer camp where they were competing to see who's shirt could be work the longest and be the dirtiest. Then my daughter ran up, threw open my truck door and gave me a big hug and I remembered why I was there. For her and all of the other youth.
I for one am glad that even though equal in most ways girls are different.

VU Sponsors