Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
323065248ed0ae9ead63ee77fa7a0a2d.jpg

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Excuse me Dale... how does the math cat pic have anything to do with Walmart? Just curious....
Though you are right, everyone at Walmart seems real thick.... even the employees...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How was the weather in SD today, Rich?......get heavy rain again.......?

It's been overcast all day here, after another nice storm last night. Drove near my mother's house today, the damn desert was flooded, prolly over a foot of standing water by a golf course......someone got their benchmark elevations screwed up designing that baby.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
How was the weather in SD today, Rich?......get heavy rain again.......?

It's been overcast all day here, after another nice storm last night. Drove near my mother's house today, the damn desert was flooded, prolly over a foot of standing water by a golf course......someone got their benchmark elevations screwed up designing that baby.
Or they just never even considered that it could rain in Scottsdale. ;)

Weather here... mostly cloudy all day and windy. I mowed the remaining 3/4 of the horse pasture, knowing it would get a good rain soak tonight. Thunderstorms started here about half an hour ago and it is raining heavy right now.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Or they just never even considered that it could rain in Scottsdale. ;)

Weather here... mostly cloudy all day and windy. I mowed the remaining 3/4 of the horse pasture, knowing it would get a good rain soak tonight. Thunderstorms started here about half an hour ago and it is raining heavy right now.
Sounds like we may get some more too....I can faintly hear thunder from somewhere.....might be 50 miles from here tho.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Weather app says we'll get to 106° for a high during the next few days. My outside work is hereby postponed until the temps cool down some.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I hadn't heard about this gig. Happen near you?
Was the perpetrator arrested?...and let go on his own recognizance...?
It happened in San Angelo, only about 45 miles from here. He was arrested for attempted homicide, along with a list of other charges.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Youse guys need to get a heat index chart. 102 @ 14% "feels like" about 98. Typically, RH has to be about 30% or higher to have any significant effect on making the air feels hotter, and the lower it is, it can actually feel like wind chill (for example, 70 @ 5% feels like 64, 100 at 20% feels like 99).

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Youse guys need to get a heat index chart. 102 @ 14% "feels like" about 98. Typically, RH has to be about 30% or higher to have any significant effect on making the air feels hotter, and the lower it is, it can actually feel like wind chill (for example, 70 @ 5% feels like 64, 100 at 20% feels like 99).
Unless the wind is coming from the south, in which case, it feels like you are standing in front of a giant hair dryer.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm not sure of the humidity in desert regions of Texas, but when the humidity is above 30% here, it feels like Florida to me, but actually it's a far cry from Florida's nasty summer HEAT. My son lives near Tampa....no idea how he can take it.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not sure of the humidity in desert regions of Texas, but when the humidity is above 30% here, it feels like Florida to me, but actually it's a far cry from Florida's nasty summer HEAT. My son lives near Tampa....no idea how he can take it.
Lived in Tampa for 7 years.
Don't even want to go back for a visit.
When you fly in there you can smell the mold and mildew as soon as they crack the door on the plane.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Unless the wind is coming from the south, in which case, it feels like you are standing in front of a giant hair dryer.
Even as an ex-weatherman, I could never figure out why there is no formula (The Math Cat, probably) that accounts for both heat index and wind chill together. Each one of those, the formula takes up about half a page to calculate, but surely they could be put together. I mean, let's say it is an even 100 degrees and the relative humidity is 75%, then the "feels like" is 150 degrees (heat stroke risk is extremely high), but that humidity is caused by the wind being blown inland off the gulf at 100 mph, which, theoretically, should have cooled you down to about 50 degrees. The weather folks, however, won't even consider a wind chill if the thermometer reads above 40 degrees or a heat index if it is below 70.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Even as an ex-weatherman, I could never figure out why there is no formula (The Math Cat, probably) that accounts for both heat index and wind chill together. Each one of those, the formula takes up about half a page to calculate, but surely they could be put together. I mean, let's say it is an even 100 degrees and the relative humidity is 75%, then the "feels like" is 150 degrees (heat stroke risk is extremely high), but that humidity is caused by the wind being blown inland off the gulf at 100 mph, which, theoretically, should have cooled you down to about 50 degrees. The weather folks, however, won't even consider a wind chill if the thermometer reads above 40 degrees or a heat index if it is below 70.
Wind only cools ya if it is cooler than you are or low enough humidity to evaporate sweat.

Just ask the tater tots in my air fryer :)
Actually a convection oven.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Lived in Tampa for 7 years.
Don't even want to go back for a visit.
When you fly in there you can smell the mold and mildew as soon as they crack the door on the plane.
Went to Hawaii in October (should be cooling down, right?). Landed in Honolulu and had to walk down the airplane ramp and 50 feet to the air conditioned terminal. I was dry when I walked out of the plane and my short-sleeve shirt was totally soaked before I got in the terminal. Sorry, but no matter how rich I might get (assuming I ever buy a lottery ticket), I won't go back.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Lucy wants to move there... go figure....
I think it is different if you go up on the mountains where the lava is though.
Juice is well versed on humidity....especially in AK, might be a different COLD humidity, but high humidity nonetheless.....:wave:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Lucy wants to move there... go figure....
I think it is different if you go up on the mountains where the lava is though.
I thought she was already there. ??? Can you imagine the vast change from Alaska to Hawai'i?

If I had my choice, I'd live on the side of a mountain, somewhere around 6-7,000 feet altitude, southern Colorado/Utah to northern Arizona/New Mexico. If I was younger and still had arctic gear, I have been known to thoroughly enjoy winter in the Montana Rockies... or near Lake Tahoe... or Central Orygun (assuming for all those places that the damn Californication process never happened).

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I thought she was already there. ??? Can you imagine the vast change from Alaska to Hawai'i?

If I had my choice, I'd live on the side of a mountain, somewhere around 6-7,000 feet altitude, southern Colorado/Utah to northern Arizona/New Mexico. If I was younger and still had arctic gear, I have been known to thoroughly enjoy winter in the Montana Rockies... or near Lake Tahoe... or Central Orygun (assuming for all those places that the damn Californication process never happened).
Naah she is still working on buying some property there.

I wonder if Blitz Weinhardt beer still exists....

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Evaporative coolers only work on a VERY large scale here.
Like power plant cooling towers.
For household use they are useless.
Just make more steam.
When I lived in Tucson (12x65 mobile home), we had a evaporative cooler on the roof instead of air conditioning. Works great in low RH months, but like Dale said, in July, all it did was drip water in the hallway.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When I lived in Tucson (12x65 mobile home), we had a evaporative cooler on the roof instead of air conditioning. Works great in low RH months, but like Dale said, in July, all it did was drip water in the hallway.
My first house here in the 80's only had a cooler....how I slept I'll never know.....must of been the booze....or....:crazy:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I cannot sleep if hot.
I remember as a youngin in eastern KY (aka greenhouse) with no AC.
They call it the dog days of summer because you drag around like a whipped dog from the lack of sleep.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My first house here in the 80's only had a cooler....how I slept I'll never know.....must of been the booze....or....:crazy:
I was perfectly happy with that cooler all year except July. It kept the house very cool. My first wife went back to England on vacation for July and I ended up sleeping on the floor right under the cooler in the hallway. It was NOT making cool air, but at least the fan blew air across my body. Then get up and put on the Class-A uniform, drive a non-A/C pickup to the air base, and spend my day in an air conditioned office briefing generals on flying to Vegas to visit their girlfriends. :) (and U2s going over Cuba, but that's still classified) That whole month, I stayed very late at work (playing with the RADAR or something), eating at Sambo's or some other cheap A/C restaurant, then home to get nekkid and lay in the hallway. That was the summer my pickup sank hub deep into the new asphalt at the gun shop at 114 degrees.

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Nope and yep, lol

Another hiccup on the sale, still in Alaska for the foreseeable future

It will be a welcome change; Alaska is well loved and there are advantages to all the extremes and more importantly, the people are like no other in the US that I know of.

Once the move occurs - it will be a totally different way of life for sure.

The average temperature where we are going is 68.5 degrees in January. Today is July 18 and it is 43 degrees outside and the sun has been up most of the night

VU Sponsors