Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Is that a big pharma drug?
Yes, and here's a bit of the PDR:
As with other benzodiazepines, clonazepam should be used with extreme caution in patients with pulmonary disease or conditions associated with compromised respiratory function such as sleep apnea, bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Additionally, avoid coadministration with other CNS depressants, especially opioids, unless no other alternatives are available as coadministration significantly increases the risk for respiratory depression, low blood pressure, and death.

I could not take this because I take hydrocodone for pain .

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I get ambiem 10 mg and unless I take two I had might as well take asprin

Last edited:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My sister has been taking them for about 10 years, with opiods for back pain....no problems to report.
She must be one of the lucky ones. I rarely am affected by side effects, but when I am, it can be very unpleasant, so I try to avoid Big Pharma shit. There are herbs that do a lot of the things people routinely use pharmaceuticals for -- and without side effects.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I'll give it a try but I don't get along with doctors at all.
I don't either, which is why I asked my sister.....:)

Need to get a good night sleep for about a week, then I'll be set for another few months....the good thing about the klons is their not addictive.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
She must be one of the lucky ones. I rarely am affected by side effects, but when I am, it can be very unpleasant, so I try to avoid Big Pharma shit. There are herbs that do a lot of the things people routinely use pharmaceuticals for.
I agree, but I'm in a pinch for time and experimentation, I need to sleep tonight.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think ambien is just a colored aspirin....worthless.
Yeah it doesn't do what I expected but it did help a little. My blood pressure was 101 over something and before i woke up and learn'd how to eat right and changed my life style, my BP was always in the 190's

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't either, which is why I asked my sister.....:)

Need to get a good night sleep for about a week, then I'll be set for another few months....the good thing about the klons is their not addictive.
The one Doctor that I did somewhat trust moved to Texas a few days ago.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My blood pressure was 101 over something and before i woke up and learn'd how to eat right and changed my life style, my BP was always in the 190's

Many many years ago, my BP was 240/130 and the doctor was amazed I wasn't walking dead (before there was any such TV program). Engineering management was a high stress job, so he figured that must be my problem and tried every BP med known to man and none of them worked. Ran a zillion blood tests and finally found that my adrenal glands, one section of which makes aldosterone, which regulates the body's sodium levels, was out of whack. So he found a diuretic that hadn't been used since about 1950 that put the aldosterone back in balance. He then ran similar tests on all his other high BP patients and found almost a dozen more that had the same problem, so he wrote a paper on me and presented it at some medical conference, then lots of docs started looking at the problem with new eyes and I suspect Big Pharma has since made new drugs for this problem.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
G'Night my friends Thinking I'm the only one here so I'll get the lights

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
From the above link.
Recall of the Product was sparked by news that a man in Massachusetts allegedly ingested the Product and later died as a result. There have been no other reports of any ingestion or injury since the Product was first marketed in October 2016.

The Product’s intended use is as a solvent for extracting essential oils from plant material, and contains warnings including “HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED. MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO ORGANS.” The Product is not for human or animal consumption.

Dumbass Darwin award winner.

I do not think there should be a recall except for dumbasses who ignore warning labels.

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
From the above link.
Recall of the Product was sparked by news that a man in Massachusetts allegedly ingested the Product and later died as a result. There have been no other reports of any ingestion or injury since the Product was first marketed in October 2016.

The Product’s intended use is as a solvent for extracting essential oils from plant material, and contains warnings including “HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED. MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO ORGANS.” The Product is not for human or animal consumption.

Dumbass Darwin award winner.

I do not think there should be a recall except for dumbasses who ignore warning labels.
Not much different from kids eating Tide pods.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Seems everything needs a CYA statements these days because of idiots deliberately misusing any products (e.g., Tide Pods) because, believe it or not, companies actually get sued (and wacko juries award to the complainant) because you did not tell me I should not swallow this obvious poison.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Shellfish in the Puget Sound, an inlet of the Pacific Ocean along the northwest coast of Washington, tested positive for the prescription opioid oxycodone.

But that wasn't all, according to Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife biologist Jennifer Lanksbury. In the midst of a national opioid crisis, the opioid may be the most attention-grabbing contaminant found, but it could be the least worrisome.
The mussels also contained four kinds of synthetic surfactants -- the chemicals found in detergents and cleaning products -- seven kinds of antibiotics, five types of antidepressants, more than one antidiabetic drug and one chemotherapy agent.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Honestly, I do know this, but it is really hard to do when you are working at warp 9.

Yeah, Lannie had words with me today about potassium, but we don't have any pills, so guess I need some dandelion tea.

Lots of potassium in orange juice, too.

Benzodiazepines are most definitely addictive. Every single one of them, from what I understand. I have klonopin that I got from the psychiatrist years ago when I was having a problem with panic attacks, but mine are extremely low-dose and I take one about every six months. A true-blue panic attack is a very unpleasant thing.

Will make a suggestion to @Jimi and @inspects for sleep - amitriptylene. It's an old drug, a tricyclic antidepressant. My mother had the most treatment-resistant insomnia for most of her life, and with amitriptylene, she could sleep.

The dosage of it needs to be very closely regulated, because too much can cause dehydration, but it works.

Hi again OPs. @Draconigena y'all can't have all that much fun if I can't be here to have fun, too. Ya hear?

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Shellfish in the Puget Sound, an inlet of the Pacific Ocean along the northwest coast of Washington, tested positive for the prescription opioid oxycodone.

But that wasn't all, according to Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife biologist Jennifer Lanksbury. In the midst of a national opioid crisis, the opioid may be the most attention-grabbing contaminant found, but it could be the least worrisome.
The mussels also contained four kinds of synthetic surfactants -- the chemicals found in detergents and cleaning products -- seven kinds of antibiotics, five types of antidepressants, more than one antidiabetic drug and one chemotherapy agent.

That is super scary.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got the Blazer going again with cold AC.
Wife unit better be damned happy....
Came out to watch me work twice today and sat a while but did not even bring me a cold drink....

Ohh and did I say that all Chevrolet engineers should burn in hell?

Had to drop the steering shaft to change one of the spark plugs....
Which I had put off until I ripped the dash out because the steering column had to be taken loose inside the vehicle.

also changed the oil and greased the front suspension parts.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Got the Blazer going again will cold AC.
Came out to watch me work twice today and sat a while but did not even bring me a cold drink....

Which I had put off until I ripped the dash out because the steering column had to be taken loose inside the vehicle.

Can we send the Ford-Lincoln-Mercury engineers to hell with 'em?

I needed a new water pump on a Continental, so hubbs and son get out there in the front yard to change it out. Two hours later I go out there and they've got the MOTOR MOUNTS OUT AND THE ENGINE RAISED about three inches, which had to happen in order to get the freakin water pump out.

Maybe Rich can explain to us the engineer's mind. I just don't get it.

I pissed off about ten telephony engineers one time (worked for ITT years ago). Walking down the hall between two rows of cubbies, I see the ten of em gathered around this one guy's desk, and they're all looking down at his calculator. I said, "How many engineers does it take to put paper in a calculator?" Oh, the looks I got. :devil:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I dunno? Does potassium make you act stupid?

Well, it slows yer heart rate down, so it very well might make you act stupid, too, lack of blood to the brain and all that.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can we send the Ford-Lincoln-Mercury engineers to hell with 'em?

I needed a new water pump on a Continental, so hubbs and son get out there in the front yard to change it out. Two hours later I go out there and they've got the MOTOR MOUNTS OUT AND THE ENGINE RAISED about three inches, which had to happen in order to get the freakin water pump out.

Maybe Rich can explain to us the engineer's mind. I just don't get it.

I pissed off about ten telephony engineers one time (worked for ITT years ago). Walking down the hall between two rows of cubbies, I see the ten of em gathered around this one guy's desk, and they're all looking down at his calculator. I said, "How many engineers does it take to put paper in a calculator?" Oh, the looks I got. :devil:

I guess we could say all engineers.
All engineers should be required to work in the service department for a couple of years out of every 10.

Went to Washugal Washington Telephone office once to add some equipment bays.
Got there looked at prints provided by engineeringand saw that there was an office cubicle in the way with permanent walls and everything.
Called the engineer in Everett and told him. He told me there was no wall there, I said i was leaning on it talking to him on the phone hanging on it.
He said to put the bays were the prints said no exucses.
I told him to fax me that in writing and I would start once I got back from the tool room to pick up a chainsaw.

Silence from him...

Why are you getting a chainsaw.

Because if you fax me that I am going to cut the hell out of this wall and put the bays there.

Reply was I will be down in the morning.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Got the Blazer going again with cold AC.

also changed the oil and greased the front suspension parts.
Congrats, Bob.....!

Can't imagine what that would have cost at a Chevy dealer to repair....prolly thousands.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Many many years ago, my BP was 240/130 and the doctor was amazed I wasn't walking dead (before there was any such TV program). Engineering management was a high stress job, so he figured that must be my problem and tried every BP med known to man and none of them worked. Ran a zillion blood tests and finally found that my adrenal glands, one section of which makes aldosterone, which regulates the body's sodium levels, was out of whack. So he found a diuretic that hadn't been used since about 1950 that put the aldosterone back in balance. He then ran similar tests on all his other high BP patients and found almost a dozen more that had the same problem, so he wrote a paper on me and presented it at some medical conference, then lots of docs started looking at the problem with new eyes and I suspect Big Pharma has since made new drugs for this problem.

It is definitely known now that adrenal function (secretion of both renin and aldosterone) plays a part in regulation of blood pressure AND kidney function. When I found out I was hypothyroid, I tried to sort out the HPA axis and make sense of it, and of course I never did, but I do recall that part. So perhaps you contributed to that knowledge, eh? Probably it is significant that one of the things most widely used to treat hypertension now is hydrochlorothiazide, which may very well be the diuretic you mention. I know I've taken plenty of it for BP.

I am missing one of my adrenal glands - had to have it removed a few years ago because of an adrenocortical adenoma, just a benign tumor, but it was growing at an alarming rate and I was glad to have it out. Wonder if my bp will ever be right again now.

Also @inspects not all the thyroid meds you can get from your doc are "Big Pharma." They can treat hypothyroidism with Armour Thyroid, which is what I take, rather than that damn Synthroid. It's important to have iron, ferritin, vitamin D, B12, and serum protein at decent levels or it won't help much to take any kind of thyroid med. Nutrients play a big part, too.

Things that docs don't tell people - (1) Don't take thyroid meds with calcium or iron. (2) It is possible for TSH to be normal and free T3 be low, because of REVERSE T3. This happens when aforementioned conversion factors are off kilter. (3) A TSH level test by itself is very nearly worthless because of Reverse T3 - rather, the whole thyroid panel needs to be run and interpreted by a doctor who actually knows how to treat thyroid - and there aren't many of them.

I'll step down now. End of sermon.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Congrats, Bob.....!

Can't imagine what that would have cost at a Chevy dealer to repair....prolly thousands.
Replaced heater core, AC evaporator core, Accumulator/dryer and Compressor.

Including cost of Vacuum pump, gauges, freon, etc total parts cost around $400.

wife unit had evaporator replaced in a lincoln town car around 20 years ago and it was $1,200.

And I did not have too many parts left over ;)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Made some Cromwells custard this morning. Added 2% RF blueberry, damn good vape, without aging.
Cromwells custard is an excellent base for fruits, Butterscotch, etc.
And yep it is pretty much shake and vape but better if let age for at least 24 hours.
Changes very little with ageing after that though. Very stable.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
And yep it is pretty much shake and vape but better if let age for at least 24 hours.
I've added Caramel in the past, also an excellent vape.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

I think I'm addicted to it. It's even good with cinnamon.

One of these days want to try it with lemon and graham cracker - lemon icebox pie.

VU Sponsors