Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Had all my uppers out years ago. I find it easier to eat without my denture than with it.

The way I understand it is dentures need to be re-fitted every 3 - 6 years depending on how fast the jaw and gums change. I guess we'll find out over time. At least it's her uppers which are easier to handle than lowers.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I find it easier to eat without my denture than with it.
No comprende, amigo... I have the same dentures that I got the day of the surgery and that was 41 years ago -- no refit required. I have never used a denture adhesive and I can eat a raw apple, corn on the cob (though I quit corn for other health reasons) or anything I used to eat with real teeth. Why is it that so many denture wearers seem to have problems?

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had every tooth in my mouth pulled the same day and the top and bottom full dentures were in my mouth when I woke up. How is it they aren't making a mold of her mouth before removing the teeth?

The molds have already been done Draconigena, so they could make the denture. The fitting part tomorrow is when the denturist makes sure the denture fits properly and adjusts it if that's required. There will be a couple more adjustment visits over the next year as her mouth heals and things settle down. After that she should be good for a few years or until it becomes loose enough to be a problem.

Time will tell how things will work out for her :cool:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The molds have already been done Draconigena, so they could make the denture. The fitting part tomorrow is when the denturist makes sure the denture fits properly and adjusts it if that's required. There will be a couple more adjustment visits over the next year as her mouth heals and things settle down. After that she should be good for a few years or until it becomes loose enough to be a problem.

Time will tell how things will work out for her :cool:
I used to have an argument with one of my aunts who refused to wear her teeth because they were "annoying." She only put them in at meal time and spent the rest of her life being Mrs. Gummy. The deal is that the teeth don't change, but the shape/size of your gums is what changes. So how can you avoid that? Don't take the teeth out and your gums will stay the same shape as the bottom of those dentures. Oh, yeah, I take them out to brush them a couple times a day, but then they go right back in. Everyone has seen on TV that you put them in a glass of water when you go to bed. Nope! I wear mine ALL the time. My mouth has not changed shape and my dentures still fit fine after 41 years. I had to see a dentist for bone check before having my knees replaced and she had a fit when I told her I never take them out. I looked her right in the eye and asked, "So did you find anything wrong with my gums or jaw bones? ANY thing?" "Well, no, but..." "But, my ass, lady. You want me to follow YOUR rules so you can make more money selling me new teeth every few years and these work perfectly." Well, not entirely true... they are made of plastic and I have used my Dremel tool a couple times to sharpen them, but nothing was ever required for the fit.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hello. Ryedan and Dale.

Not a bad day here today started out below freezing but got up to close to 60. And no rain or anything but windy.
Got a few things done outside.
Tried out my new pressure washer. Worked fine.
What were you washing, Bob?

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used to have an argument with one of my aunts who refused to wear her teeth because they were "annoying." She only put them in at meal time and spent the rest of her life being Mrs. Gummy. The deal is that the teeth don't change, but the shape/size of your gums is what changes. So how can you avoid that? Don't take the teeth out and your gums will stay the same shape as the bottom of those dentures. Oh, yeah, I take them out to brush them a couple times a day, but then they go right back in. Everyone has seen on TV that you put them in a glass of water when you go to bed. Nope! I wear mine ALL the time. My mouth has not changed shape and my dentures still fit fine after 41 years. I had to see a dentist for bone check before having my knees replaced and she had a fit when I told her I never take them out. I looked her right in the eye and asked, "So did you find anything wrong with my gums or jaw bones? ANY thing?" "Well, no, but..." "But, my ass, lady. You want me to follow YOUR rules so you can make more money selling me new teeth every few years and these work perfectly."

I hear ya Draconigena. What I understand from the dentist and denturist is to take them out at night if needed because of sore spots which makes sense to me. My thought though is there shouldn't be any sore spots after a while if they are fitted properly. OTOH, it's not me wearing them so my wife will have to figure things out as she gets used to them.

It went well today, she isn't in much pain now but she can't chew yet. Time will tell how it all works out.

Well, not entirely true... they are made of plastic and I have used my Dremel tool a couple times to sharpen them, but nothing was ever required for the fit.

I like the way you think, LOL :cheers:

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nothing in particular just wanted to make sure the pressure washer worked before I actually needed to use it on something.
So I could return it if necessary.

Evening Robert.

That's always a good idea. I learned my lesson when I once left a band saw in the box way too long before trying it out. Don't remember what was wrong with it when I finally got around to using it, but it was past the exchange date and I remember it would have expensive to buy the part. I got lucky and they let me exchange it, but I've always checked things out very shortly after buying them since.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also got my 3 ton floor jack out of the box and tired it out.
worked fine.

Hung two hose hanger reels on the back basement wall and tested my new hammer drill at the same time.

Still have a little drill press and a sliding compound miter saw to test out.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did actually see a robin today ... and this is probably what he was thinking:

25g5wde.jpg

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, here's today's report:

I found a door to match the homestead cabin (well, almost). After removing it from the carriage room, I had to drag it to the shop (Lannie helped) and cut off 3/4" from the bottom, then we took it back out to hang it. Lannie was trying to hold it up, fighting the wind, while I screwed the hinges to the door frame, which I had to do left-handed. This, of course, aggravated my existing shoulder pain (rotator cuff never has healed), so I can hardly use my left arm right now, and Lannie got a bit of bicep burn fighting the wind while holding that heavy old door, so she's not real happy either, but we got the damn door installed. I couldn't put on a door knob today, so I just attached a temporary eye hook and covered the doorknob hole with duct tape. Why? Because the weather guessers blew it again and the week of nice weather we were supposed to have isn't happening. It is raining right now and when the temperature drops a couple more degrees, it will become snow. I do not expect more than an inch or so of accumulation tonight, but I didn't want it blowing through the door knob holes and wetting our saddles.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, here's today's report:

I found a door to match the homestead cabin (well, almost). After removing it from the carriage room, I had to drag it to the shop (Lannie helped) and cut off 3/4" from the bottom, then we took it back out to hang it. Lannie was trying to hold it up, fighting the wind, while I screwed the hinges to the door frame, which I had to do left-handed. This, of course, aggravated my existing shoulder pain (rotator cuff never has healed), so I can hardly use my left arm right now, and Lannie got a bit of bicep burn fighting the wind while holding that heavy old door, so she's not real happy either, but we got the damn door installed. I couldn't put on a door knob today, so I just attached a temporary eye hook and covered the doorknob hole with duct tape. Why? Because the weather guessers blew it again and the week of nice weather we were supposed to have isn't happening. It is raining right now and when the temperature drops a couple more degrees, it will become snow. I do not expect more than an inch or so of accumulation tonight, but I didn't want it blowing through the door knob holes and wetting our saddles.
Damn, hope the weather is on your side SOON...!

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Off to do a little research on what's new in the world of chargers :)

So I checked out what was on the market today. My two chargers are both simple Xtar dual bay units and the newer one has been doing a great job for a few years now.

But it has a max charge rate of 1A and I've been wanting to be able to go higher than that sometimes, specially since I have 3 AH batts now. Found this one, FOLOMOV-A4 at IMRBatteries, and ordered it a couple of days ago. I'm a bit skeptical of the brand because it's new to me, but at that price I'll risk it. It also has a pretty good review on lygte-info.dk and that guy knows his stuff. It will also be nice to have the voltage readout which neither of my old ones have. Fingers crossed here :)

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Chargers? I have a Trustfire TR2 I have been using for close to 3 years and I also have a couple of the old style I2 chargers. Intellichargers I think?
Just idiot lights on them.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This, of course, aggravated my existing shoulder pain (rotator cuff never has healed), so I can hardly use my left arm right now, and Lannie got a bit of bicep burn fighting the wind while holding that heavy old door, so she's not real happy either, but we got the damn door installed.

I really feel for you on the shoulder injury!

Until last year I've never had a sore shoulder that didn't get better in a few days. Just about the time I went for the hip replacement I hurt my left shoulder slightly and thought it was going to be just like all the other times. Well, a few days later I made it worse. And a couple of weeks later, after the hip got done, I really did it in at the gym. That's when I did a bit of research and realized it was a rotator cuff thing. That was in August and it's taken me all this time to get it back to around 70 - 90% of the strength compared to before, depending on the direction I'm pushing or pulling. And I honestly think the first few months it caused me more pain than the hip did. It certainly dragged on longer.

Shoulders are a bitch, not to mention really painful! Take good care of it Draconigena and if you're not doing regular rotator cuff exercises you might give that a thought. IMO that made all the difference for me.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No comprende, amigo... I have the same dentures that I got the day of the surgery and that was 41 years ago -- no refit required. I have never used a denture adhesive and I can eat a raw apple, corn on the cob (though I quit corn for other health reasons) or anything I used to eat with real teeth. Why is it that so many denture wearers seem to have problems?
Poor dentistry is most of the reason people have problems

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
if you're not doing regular rotator cuff exercises you might give that a thought. IMO that made all the difference for me.
I went to the doc a couple years ago and, of course, they wanted to do surgery. I was tired of having those butchers cut me open for every little sliver I get, so I asked to be sent up to physical therapy to talk to them. The PT guy gave me a print out of exercises and a large red rubber band to use. After about three months, it really was better, then I futched it up again, so I started back in with the exercises and it got better after another 3-4 months, then I screwed it up again. Seems that every time I think I have it fixed, I do some dumb ass thing here to mess it up again. Sigh...

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hmmm... well, given that, at the time I got my mouth excavated and the plastic teeth put in, I couldn't afford a real dentist or denturist, so it was all done at a dental college. If poor dentistry was likely, that would have been the place to get it, yet I am the only one I know who doesn't have problems.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Anyone looking for a CHEAP fairly tight draw atty (or open draw), the Le Supersonic clone is pretty damn good. Especially for about 12 bucks. I can't tell any difference between the authentic NarDa and the clone supersonic. Odd name, but who am I to start making atty names.....:teehee:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I haven't been able to trust dentists for decades. They're like some of the kids these days. They do as little as possible, and expect a wad of cash for their efforts. When I go to a dentist to have a tooth pulled, it does NOT mean I want my teeth cleaned instead.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hmmm... well, given that, at the time I got my mouth excavated and the plastic teeth put in, I couldn't afford a real dentist or denturist, so it was all done at a dental college. If poor dentistry was likely, that would have been the place to get it, yet I am the only one I know who doesn't have problems.
Well, your luck there was much better than the current weather....:)

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I went to the doc a couple years ago and, of course, they wanted to do surgery. I was tired of having those butchers cut me open for every little sliver I get, so I asked to be sent up to physical therapy to talk to them. The PT guy gave me a print out of exercises and a large red rubber band to use. After about three months, it really was better, then I futched it up again, so I started back in with the exercises and it got better after another 3-4 months, then I screwed it up again. Seems that every time I think I have it fixed, I do some dumb ass thing here to mess it up again. Sigh...
Sound like me and my knees, just keep screwing them up.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I haven't been able to trust dentists for decades. They're like some of the kids these days. They do as little as possible, and expect a wad of cash for their efforts. When I go to a dentist to have a tooth pulled, it does NOT mean I want my teeth cleaned instead.
Yeah, I agree, those folks are scavengers when it comes to money....!

VU Sponsors