Become a Patron!

ohms reading a little high

Spyroklown

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm running a .5 coils in my eleaf istick 50w I usually run it at about 30w and the vapor is decent but any lower it feels like I'm not getting enough power.. however the screen reads it's output at .6 ohms and it gets rather warm after several puffs over a 5-6 min window..is there something I should change wattage wise?

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm running a .5 coils in my eleaf istick 50w I usually run it at about 30w and the vapor is decent but any lower it feels like I'm not getting enough power.. however the screen reads it's output at .6 ohms and it gets rather warm after several puffs over a 5-6 min window..is there something I should change wattage wise?
30W on a .5 coil is on the low side. It's rounding up, since ohms aren't read in 100ths. You are taxing the batteries pretty good, so it will get warm with continuous use in a short span. Not a lot of insulation between the batteries and skin.
You could use a higher ohm coil, which will lower wattage use. Mine sits on the coffee table as a flavor break change up, because of its warmth, and other quirks.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are the cols on the older side? Old and dirty coils can increase resistance, with age and dirt.

What batteries are you using? 30 watts or there about is the NATURAL battery voltage wattage for .5ohm, (27-35 watts at 3.7-4.2volts).

So 30 watts is neither high or low for the coil without factoring wire size. 30 watts could be very HIGH wattage if you were to build with real thin wire say kanthal 28 or thinner or maybe even do 75-100 watts or so with 20 gauge.

Spyroklown

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Are the cols on the older side? Old and dirty coils can increase resistance, with age and dirt.

What batteries are you using? 30 watts or there about is the NATURAL battery voltage wattage for .5ohm, (27-35 watts at 3.7-4.2volts).

So 30 watts is neither high or low for the coil without factoring wire size. 30 watts could be very HIGH wattage if you were to build with real thin wire say kanthal 28 or thinner or maybe even do 75-100 watts or so with 20 gauge.
The coils are brand new to me I ordered them offline and they are pre-built kanthal ..I'm not sure about the battery it's whatever comes stock in the eleaf istick 50w because it's unchangeable

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The coils are brand new to me I ordered them offline and they are pre-built kanthal ..I'm not sure about the battery it's whatever comes stock in the eleaf istick 50w because it's unchangeable

It's is very hard to help if we don't know what you have. Which coils are you using? I know it's .5ohm kanthal and it's running on a Istick 50.. The wire the coil is made from is VERY important type, size and # of strands. Could be you have a clapton .5ohm coil that is very big and wants 50 watts or more to function or a single wire coil made from 28awg or smaller that might be too hot at 30 watts. Even if you don't know the wire size..... with the count of wraps, size of ID and of #wires used, you can get a pretty close estimate of the awg of the wire used. By entering the numbers into a coil building calculator like steam-engine. Atomizer getting warm after several puffs is normal, kinda a side affect of vaporizing liquid with a HOT wire. Having a coil raise in resistance after use is normal, It is also a sign of loose or dirty connections. Coil posts often need to be re-tightend after first few firings, due to heat contraction/expansion. I would worry more if the ohm number fluctuates randomly, than if it just went up or down a point or 2 and stays there. Mod or battery getting hot, could be a sign of troubles or could just be some heat transfer.

Spyg0at

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is a sealed coil head, correct? Have you swapped in a new one? Even if you are experiencing issues with a brand new one, I would swap it out. I've gotten bad coil heads before. It happens.

Spyroklown

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't know about the wraps or anything about the coil itself all ik is it's a vengeance brand coil and made from kanthal

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know about the wraps or anything about the coil itself all ik is it's a vengeance brand coil and made from kanthal
It really does depend on the amount of wraps and wire used if this wattage is low, or high for a 0.5 coil.

I could make a coil that is 0.5 out of 22 gauge, then another smaller ID coil out of 26 gauge, and for the larger coil 30W would be quite low, whereas for the smaller one it would be a bit high.

What tank is it you are using? We can then look at the coils and give some advice on the matter, otherwise it is a bit hard as we will be guessing if the coil is small with little surface area or large with more area to heat.

bomatt

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Could it be a defective coil? Try popping in a new one. If your still reading .6 it could be around 5.8, 5.9, could be rounding up if your mod can't read 100ths.

gabrielpanoussi

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have an eleaf Pico I think we use the same coils on a MELO tank. Anyway, the coil that came installed was .3 ohm and you will notice it says on the case of the coil the wattage range. The replacement has a higher wattage range starting at 30W.

So when I replaced my coil the first time from the .3 coil to the replacement coil sent with the pico that was .5 I needed to up the wattage on my pico to get the same effect. The same "burn" on the .5 simply took more wattage more resistance needed more watts for the same effect in my case.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have an eleaf Pico I think we use the same coils on a MELO tank. Anyway, the coil that came installed was .3 ohm and you will notice it says on the case of the coil the wattage range. The replacement has a higher wattage range starting at 30W.

So when I replaced my coil the first time from the .3 coil to the replacement coil sent with the pico that was .5 I needed to up the wattage on my pico to get the same effect. The same "burn" on the .5 simply took more wattage more resistance needed more watts for the same effect in my case.
This is because in a regulated mod or even a mech. Ohm by itself is meaning less. It only determines the number if volts needed to reach a wattage. The temperature of the coil and how fast that temperature is reach will be determined by the amount and type of metal used in the coil and to some extent how that metal is oriented.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Crunchyblack

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So im sort of running into the same issue. I have a GPRIV. Whenever i install a new coil it reads a much higher resistance. I just popped in my UWELL Crown 3 tank with the .25ohm coil and the GPRIV wanted to set initial resistance to .5! Do i trust my device or trust the resistance on the coil? Ive been running a baby beast with t6 and it read over the resistance too, though not nearly as much, and i manually adjusted it to what was on the coil no issue.

Do i trust my coils for resistance or my device?

VU Sponsors