Become a Patron!

Ohms law vapergate Colorado

Hello,

I am having problems with vapergate Colorado and HOG XL

My goal is to use 8 coils but each time I ad coils it reduces the resistance. How do I calculate the resistance needed per coil? My goal is .3 for 8 coils

I tried using 4 coils but the total resistance is .08
Will this work on the HOG XL? How do I use ohms law on the HOG XL?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My goal is .3 for 8 coils
I tried using 4 coils but the total resistance is .08

Might be reading this wrong. You want .30 for 8 coils?

If you're getting .08 for 4 coils, I'd consider it a win. Last I checked .30 is higher/more than .08. That's why I think I'm reading your post wrong.

I stick to around .30 to .50 for a single coil build. I do not bother wiith dual, quad, 30 some coils, or anything fancy, simple round wire. That is simply my preference, does not need to be yours.

I'll admit being scared to go lower. Sometimes a healthy fear can offer cautious respect. Again, only my preference/opinion, you do what you want.

I'm sure someone like @gsmit1 may be able to provide better help. Excuse me.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

What kind of wire are you using?
What wire gauge?
What batteries are you using in the HOG?

I found a picture of the deck and it looks like you can build a combination of serial and parallel coils. That's what you will need to do to get 0.30 Ohms with 8 coils.

1714948266948.png

If you do not understand Ohm's Law you should not be attempting this! You have been warned.

That being said, here is a video on how to build the Colorado RDA:

If you blow yourself up, I am in no way responsible.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
My goal is to use 8 coils but each time I ad coils it reduces the resistance. How do I calculate the resistance needed per coil? My goal is .3 for 8 coils
For a total resistance of 0.30Ω, each coil will need to be ~2.40Ω each. Like gopher_byrd said, use the Steam Engine Wire Wizard to determine the correct configuration for the coils.

Eight 30g kanthal A1 7.5 wrap coils should give you what you need at ~0.316Ω total resistance. 28g with 9.5 wraps will end up at around 0.297Ω, and 26g with 16.5 wraps will be around 0.295Ω.

Last edited:
For a total resistance of 0.30Ω, each coil will need to be ~2.40Ω each. Like gopher_byrd said, use the Steam Engine Wire Wizard to determine the correct configuration for the coils.

Eight 30g kanthal A1 7.5 wrap coils should give you what you need at ~0.316Ω total resistance. 28g with 9.5 wraps will end up at around 0.297Ω, and 26g with 16.5 wraps will be around 0.295Ω.
Thanks.

I decided to go with 26g. The HOGXL is underpowered tbh. I run small dual coils on it I’ve tried bigger coils and it’s weak.

That really depends on how you're running the mod - in dual parallel/series or just series. Even at P/S you're pushing over 8 volts.
There is no option to change the configuration on the mod itself. It’s a parallel series configuration but that doesn’t mean you can choose all parallel or all series. I believe two batteries are run in series and two in parallel. By accident I put the batteries in the wrong way and there was a lot of sparks. there’s only one way to put the batteries in and the mod isn’t adjustable.

My calculations don’t ad up I wanted to find the total amps for the mod. i don’t understand how the mod works there are only a handful of possibilities for how it’s wired into a parallel series aka a combination circuit. Imagine below the letter I represents a battery.

1. ( I , I ) series [ connected in parallel] ( I , I ) series
2. ( I , I ) parallel [ connected in parallel] (I , I) series
3. ( I , I) parallel [ connected in series] (I I ) series
4. ( I I) parallel [ connected in series] (I I) parallel

Where the center portion is the connection between each set of two batteries and the outer portion describes each battery within its set of 2.

In each configuration I cannot calculate the total amps or volts correctly

IMO the HOG XL is weak af. The dna400 HOG had a max watts of 400W but I am sure the HOG XL had a max watts of roughly 230-240 just based on other forums and my experience with it. I would like to make a 26650 all series HOG that would produce well over 400W and I only run 400W so it would be perfect for me.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors