Become a Patron!

OHMs Law Help

Trying to get into mech mods and cannot for the life of me figure out why a dual 7 wrap with nichrome 80 that reads on a voltmeter to be 2.3 keeps coming out at less than 2 amps? Is it a scewed calculation or is it really that low? I refuse to use it till i figure this out. I will be using fresh VTC5As for batteries unless someone has a better suggestion.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Voltage will drop on a battery both under load and over time

I = V / R
V = I X R
R = V / I

If your voltage says 2.3V don’t use that cell ....you shouldn’t let them drop below 2.8V.... ever (2.5v is the lowest you should go) it’s for this reason most regulated mods cut out around 3v-3.4V because the cells begin to break down resulting in capacity reduction and an increase to their internal resistance
which could result in a fire hazard and reduced performance

What’s the resistance of your coil?

What type of mech are you using? Single Tube, series, parralel?

What batteries are you using?

My apoligies the .23 is the resistance mistype as well as the wrong peice of equipment its fairly late in canada. VT5As for the batteries. Just for clarification the issue i have is two omhs law calculators have an amprage of less than two but it should be between 15-20 amps? Single tube 18650. Volt on the batery is 4 with drop but 4.2 without.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Ahh no probs forgot to say welcome to VU by the way :wave:

What calculators are you using? They sound wrong

That resistance and battery is absolutely fine to use on a single battery mech...current draw will be as you say around the 16-20 mark

A couple online ones that automatically change all the values when you lock in variables. so you dont have to do all three calculations just need to have the voltage and resistance. Proof that when things look wrong they usually are eh.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Indeed maybe try it again without locking in anything other than resistance

I use this site for coil building the lot (though with coils it’s approximately)

http://www.steam-engine.org/ohm.html

I just checked your inputs ...comes out with correct info

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Did you check for hot spots after mounting the coil? That will burn the cotton inside the coil really quickly gives a funky taste

When you say damp is it nice and juicy or starting to look a little white in places on the surface after a puff or two ...it’s might to be wicking quickly enough for the speed your vaping

Airflow hitting the coil can be a problem also

what set up are you using?

Not completely soaked but no dry spots. I've been building for almost two years and this is the first time its ever done this. Its on a v1 goon with one air hole closed off at 90 watts on a drag.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hmm strange mate process of elimination perhaps

Check leads secured fine
Is the positive pin lose or dirty
Are the posts wobbling at all?
Have you changed wire or retailer recently?
Coil type?
Have you change Wicking material or retailer recently?
Juice change? ...some juices and flavour don’t play well with too much heat

Could be just not enough wicking and juice and too longer draw

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
If everything else is the same and that’s the only difference mate perhaps revert back to what you know and see if it’s still there

I only space my coils if I’m doing temp control or trying to get rid of hot spots on complex coils

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Could well be where you have spaced it now airflow isn’t hitting all parts of the coil equally especially where you have closed it down and vaping at 90w ...one side it heating more than the rest of it leading to a dry hit

Try to centre the airflow on the middle of the coil as well

Sorry if it sounds like I’m teaching you to suck eggs not sure what you’ve tried or haven’t so covering off everything I can think off :cheers:

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Welcome to VU. Looks like Kingpin has you sorted on the coil and calc, it sounds like you might also need to take a look at your wicking. If you have it too tight the cotton doesn't wick right. At 90 watts it needs to be wicked correctly or it will do as you describe. What is this you are building on?

VU Sponsors