Become a Patron!

ohms adjustment on SMOK Alien

I purchased a Alien a week ago. It's my third MOD but the first with an adjustment for ohms in settings. The instructions don't go into any detail, it only shows how to get to the adjustment screen. I don't know if or when I'm supposed to make adjustments there. I would very much appreciate any advice.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I purchased a Alien a week ago. It's my third MOD but the first with an adjustment for ohms in settings. The instructions don't go into any detail, it only shows how to get to the adjustment screen. I don't know if or when I'm supposed to make adjustments there. I would very much appreciate any advice.
there isn't any need to adjust ohms on the device

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think you got it mixed up with something else.
You don't use any mod to adjust the resistance.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I think you got it mixed up with something else.
You don't use any mod to adjust the resistance.
some mods like the alien, allow you to adjust the initial resistance in case you feel it's incorrect. but i never see a reason in doing so personally. They are always pretty dam close to what my meter reads. especially the alien which seems really accurate

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Seems like a source of unnecessary problems to me.
People setting the resistance wrong, then not understanding why they get a stream of burning juice in their mouth.
lol it's limited i think you can only adjust .1 either way or like .05 either way IIRC but i agree it's not necessary and IDK why they even give the option

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I believe you "set" the ohms for TC mode when the coil is cool. If you are using wattage mode, that shouldn't be there...

I believe you "set" the ohms for TC mode when the coil is cool. If you are using wattage mode, that shouldn't be there...
It's there either way. I'm using a Baby Beast that doesn't have a TC coil. But thanks for the reply.
ohms_adjustment.jpg

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think the adjust initial ohm adjust is something you set to offset any inaccuracy or wiring resistance in the mod. I think the 510 should be shorted to see how much offset you need.
But I could be wrong as I do not have any of those new fangled mods.

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think the adjust initial ohm adjust is something you set to offset any inaccuracy or wiring resistance in the mod. I think the 510 should be shorted to see how much offset you need.
But I could be wrong as I do not have any of those new fangled mods.
It's there either way. I'm using a Baby Beast that doesn't have a TC coil. But thanks for the reply.
ohms_adjustment.jpg

More new features!

Vapeness88

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I found the ohms adjust murdered the hit and was super weak I was getting from my Herakles Nano, but on my Therion and Sig 100 it hit like normal,had to reset the mod to get it to read the ohms right. It was reading .261 no matter what tank/rda I ran.

These mods nowadays have too many damn settings..

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I found the ohms adjust murdered the hit and was super weak I was getting from my Herakles Nano, but on my Therion and Sig 100 it hit like normal,had to reset the mod to get it to read the ohms right. It was reading .261 no matter what tank/rda I ran.

These mods nowadays have too many damn settings..
You want the ohms to read 0.00 when the 510 is shorted .
I think having this mis adjusted causes mods to cook themselves. for instance they think they are running into .261 ohms when it is actually a short.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I got my Alien in the mail today and it sure has been hard to put down! Which coils are you using? I started of with the X4's at.15Ω and loving this baby.
upload_2016-12-29_23-3-2.png

Vapeness88

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just seems outlandish to,honestly. That's just me though. The mod itself is nice,and different. Im still trying to figure out the evolv software on my 133 I got last night too lol.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Why do you want to adjust the Ohms to begin with? I found mine to be accurate with different coils and remember heat and contamination will increase the resistance.

Vapeness88

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mine was already reading .261 no matter what tank or rda i threw on it,I had to reset everything. To me the choice is stupid,but thats just me.

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
The alien has a couple of things it doesn't need. The ohm adjustment and the screen lock. The screen lock puts the mod into lock mode as soon as the fire button is released. Is there a purpose for this? Maybe for dry firing the RBA? That's all I can think of. It would be better if it had an adjustment lock instead, so the +/- bottoms would not adjust the watts up and down once they are set and locked.

I have an Alien as well and my mod is saying OHM too low, I tried it on a Gpriv and the tank and coil work fine even when I take off my tank to the Alien and hit the fire button it shows OHM too low anyone know whats wrong?

Jason267

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What should the ohms read on the screen on the Alien 220w? I have my wattage set at 30w and I accidentally set the ohms to 0.400, that's what is reading on the screen now...I'm using the pre assembled (though I took it out to prime it) coil that came with it, a 0.4....
Any advice on what the ohms setting should be at would be greatly appreciated! Newbie here....

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The screen should read the resistance of the coil installed @Jason267 or pretty close to what is written on the coil. If you are using your own custom builds it would hopefully be close what you intended and what you calculated using steam engine. Hope that answers some of your question.

Jason267

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The screen should read the resistance of the coil installed @Jason267 or pretty close to what is written on the coil. If you are using your own custom builds it would hopefully be close what you intended and what you calculated using steam engine. Hope that answers some of your question.
Sorry im completely new to mod style stuff...So if the coil I have in it now is a Smok 0.4 does that mean the ohms on the screen (and settings) should be 0.400? Looks like I can slightly adjust it in the ohms menu, which I must have accidently did! I somehow put it on 0.420 (which would be cool!) and then I backed it down to 0.400....so with my 0.4 coil, is that setting ok? Again, I run it around 30w (give or take) for the CBD ejuice I have... Just wondering what the best settings are...I think I messed up the original settings when I first installed the coil and tank (if the Alien actually calibrates automatically when its all brand new???)...I was going thru the menu and figuring out how to work it and I think I messed up all the settings. Right now, if I turn in on cold, the screen reads:
-30w
-0.096 volts
-0.400 ohms
-1.335 amps
-Mode=Watt and have it on the "Normal" strength setting

Another question...I saw a couple videos on youtube where they said you can take a small needle like a sewing needle and poke a couple small hole in the cotton openings on the coil. Supposedly, it will help wick better and also help your coil last longer. Better flavor, etc, etc. I can see how theoretically that might work and help. Reason I ask is because I vape CBD oil, specifically made for vape, but ive found that any brand or type of CBD ejuice seems to not wick as well. Ive tried out 2 different brands, one was 70/30 and the other 60/40, on two different vape kits. First was some kind of pen, nothing but burnt hits, then the guy at the vape store searched around looking for something that would work better for CBD ejuice (he was thinking that it must be thicker style juice as well) and sold me a Kangertech Subvod-C kit....burnt hits, not much vapor, etc. He then sold me a ceramic coil for the Subvod-C...it worked finally! While the pre-hits before an actual good vape got old, it worked well enough. Good flavor, no more burnt hits.
Now, I have a Smok Alien with the baby beast tank (the Smok Alien kit), with a regular coil, not ceramic (just the 0.4 that came pre installed). While the clouds are great, the flavor isn't there. Not burnt hits though. More like stale, with a slight flavor but not much. So im wondering what I can do to help with that? I did take the coil out and primed it decently, filled up the tank and let it sit while I charged the new batteries for at least 2hrs. Started at low wattage, around 15w, then moved up little by little going easy on it. Now ive found that 30w is best (the recommended 55-65w is way too harsh with the CBD ejuice). Any tips on getting better flavor would be awesome, besides that im happy with it. Wondering if the "poking holes with a needle" trick would help? And if so, how far do you poke in to the cotton??? No leaks so far (unlike the damn kangertech!!!)...Sorry this is so long, my mind is filled with info and questions from all the stuff out there about the Smok Aliens and CBD!

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Simple answer is you should not adjust the Ohm reading the MOD should read what the coil says or close to it.

Jason267

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah but since I have....what is the best ohm setting for a 0.4 coil??? Surely there is a answer...

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You DO NOT adjust the Ohms the mod reads it and you set the wattage. I can't say it any simpler that that sorry

Jason267

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Then why can you adjust it to say 0.430ohms....and then it says 0.430ohms on the screen after its set to that? Or, if you put it to say 0.370...and then it says "0.370" on the screen after its set? Im guessing that it effects the vape overall. Not trying to be a smart ass, I'm just wondering. Since you CAN adjust the ohms a little bit one way, or a little bit the other way, set it to that amount, and then it says that amount on the screen...then it must make a difference.
Next time I put in a new coil, ill be sure to leave the ohm adjustment setting alone! But since I set it to 0.400 right now (and have no idea what the default setting should be)...is this setting effecting the overall vape in a good way or bad way?

Jason267

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Saw a video saying that you should adjust the ohm as high as possible, and then use a lower wattage to save battery and get a better flavor, etc, etc. So it can be adjusted. The mod probably does self adjust or go to a default setting when you put in a new coil (as there is a "Is this a new coil?" thing that pops up when a new one is installed), but I didn't notice the default setting...Totally makes sense that if its a .4 coil then the alien should be set at ".4"...but then, why can you adjust that number in the settings? You can go lower than the .40 or higher.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I am only going to say this one more time...................

The MOD reads the resistance of the coil and you should NOT adjust the Ohms.

Jason267

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
BUT I DID ADJUST IT, so what should I re-set it to??? Is the 0.400 the best setting option to RE-SET it at?

Dude, I thought this forum was to share ideas and help others...

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
RTFM because you need to learn how to use your device. Remove the tank and fire it and reinstall it when it says new coil say yes and your done then next time do not play around with it. The amount you can adjust is negligible. Sorry I was trying to help but I am done so please do not quote me again.

Last edited:

Jason267

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cool that's a good idea, ill do that...And ill know to leave it alone when I put in a new coil next time.

Dude, that's all you had to say the first time around!!! I just needed a little help. Take the time to read the full post or just politely ask a question to clarify what the person is asking.
Thank you.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Uh dude next time either read the answers you are given and comprehend it but do not tell me how to answer because I was trying to help but next time you ask a question I am going to pass and leave you to find your answer on your own. Don't like my suggestions then don't take them.

Jason267

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I did really mean it, "thank you"...

I hadn't thought to do that, to simply unscrew the tank and re-install. Worked out nicely!!!
My original post was simply asking, or how I should have worded it, "what to set the ohms at since I fucked up and messed with em!??"
And I kept getting "do not adjust the ohms"...
Honestly though, that's all you had to say on your first reply, to just take the tank off, and reinstall...Its all good though.
I was frustrated and probably didn't word things correctly...my mistake. I am obviously a newbie with a mod setup, but we all started out as newbies, right? The Alien is awesome though!
When I said to 'read the full post', I was just referring to my second question on my post...About the wicking problem and lack of flavor. The 'poking holes' in the cotton, etc.

Hey ... i just had a thought here .. and i might be new to this forum and/or website .. but am no newbie to vaping ... so that being said ..
and
without directly quoting anyone .. ill just say this ... i agree with jason on the fact that he was just confused and as he said is/was a newbie vaper at the time of the start of this forum here ... and ALSO that YOU "steve" ... did not properly handle or answer his question ... especially seeing as you are clearly a more experienced vaper and site visitor here in this particular forum .. but rather typed in demands on what he should do with HIS vape instead. Now... after all ... although clearly neither one of you were able to find a clear answer as to why they allow small changes to the ohms on the smok alien 220w tc mod within the settings ... who the ____ really cares about the fact that you steve FEEL that you have the correct answer about this? The answer is me. i care. because i care about my fellow vapers whether newb or not.. and the real answer is just try it out yourself and figure it the hell out ... personally though i just buy real coils and prime them correctly and my mod reads the ohms itself .. which not to mention are always within .03 in terms of accuracy... another hint ... only hit new coil if its a new coil ... or anytime its an old coil that is cool or room temperature... the only thing your mod is trying to do is recalibrate after you either unscrew and rescrew the tank with the mod on ... OR .. if you remove the batteries while mod is either on or off and replace them again... now steve was it really that hard to grow some _____ and to actually have some vape experience or even just conversational skills ... i guess not now was it ....
peace fellow vapors ... any further comments from me are closed on this topic.

Last edited:
Ohm ajust is something I refuse to live without. My wismec predator sits in a drawer for not having it... Ive been vaping for years and have bought tons of mods tanks juices you name it.. The alien is the ONLY mod I use because of that..these mods never sense the exact correct ohms and thst drives me through the wall. Just sensing a cleito. 4 coil a few off is enough to change the flavor and hit or not make it fire properly. I'm picky as fuck and notice just the slightest differences. Exactly what the coil says in it or it just isn't right.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
some mods like the alien, allow you to adjust the initial resistance in case you feel it's incorrect. but i never see a reason in doing so personally. They are always pretty dam close to what my meter reads. especially the alien which seems really accurate
For mods like this one needs to put an accurately verified resistance atomizer on there and adjust the ohms to match.
NO other adjustment is ever needed of this feature.

Some people seem to have the wrong end of the stick here. You CAN'T adjust the Ohms. The resistance of the coil is determined by the physical structure of the coil itself and the environmental conditions. What you're actually doing is calibrating the reading, and unless you have an offboard ohms reader which you know is always accurate to four decimal places and your mod's reader is out by more than 0.05 there is absolutely no point in recalibrating. If you don't have a separate ohms reader then you have no basis for assuming that the reader on your mod is wrong. Just because it has 0.4 or whatever stamped on the coil doesn't mean that's what it is - for three quid a go you're only going to get an approximation and an approximation is all you need unless you're firing it at kilowatts!. The physical resistance of the coil is going to change every time you fire it anyway. It's just a gimmick.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some people seem to have the wrong end of the stick here. You CAN'T adjust the Ohms. The resistance of the coil is determined by the physical structure of the coil itself and the environmental conditions. What you're actually doing is calibrating the reading, and unless you have an offboard ohms reader which you know is always accurate to four decimal places and your mod's reader is out by more than 0.05 there is absolutely no point in recalibrating. If you don't have a separate ohms reader then you have no basis for assuming that the reader on your mod is wrong. Just because it has 0.4 or whatever stamped on the coil doesn't mean that's what it is - for three quid a go you're only going to get an approximation and an approximation is all you need unless you're firing it at kilowatts!. The physical resistance of the coil is going to change every time you fire it anyway. It's just a gimmick.
it is a calibration feature that should not be on consumer equipment. The calibration should have already been performed at the factory.

Sorry im completely new to mod style stuff...So if the coil I have in it now is a Smok 0.4 does that mean the ohms on the screen (and settings) should be 0.400? Looks like I can slightly adjust it in the ohms menu, which I must have accidently did! I somehow put it on 0.420 (which would be cool!) and then I backed it down to 0.400....so with my 0.4 coil, is that setting ok? Again, I run it around 30w (give or take) for the CBD ejuice I have... Just wondering what the best settings are...I think I messed up the original settings when I first installed the coil and tank (if the Alien actually calibrates automatically when its all brand new???)...I was going thru the menu and figuring out how to work it and I think I messed up all the settings. Right now, if I turn in on cold, the screen reads:
-30w
-0.096 volts
-0.400 ohms
-1.335 amps
-Mode=Watt and have it on the "Normal" strength setting

Another question...I saw a couple videos on youtube where they said you can take a small needle like a sewing needle and poke a couple small hole in the cotton openings on the coil. Supposedly, it will help wick better and also help your coil last longer. Better flavor, etc, etc. I can see how theoretically that might work and help. Reason I ask is because I vape CBD oil, specifically made for vape, but ive found that any brand or type of CBD ejuice seems to not wick as well. Ive tried out 2 different brands, one was 70/30 and the other 60/40, on two different vape kits. First was some kind of pen, nothing but burnt hits, then the guy at the vape store searched around looking for something that would work better for CBD ejuice (he was thinking that it must be thicker style juice as well) and sold me a Kangertech Subvod-C kit....burnt hits, not much vapor, etc. He then sold me a ceramic coil for the Subvod-C...it worked finally! While the pre-hits before an actual good vape got old, it worked well enough. Good flavor, no more burnt hits.
Now, I have a Smok Alien with the baby beast tank (the Smok Alien kit), with a regular coil, not ceramic (just the 0.4 that came pre installed). While the clouds are great, the flavor isn't there. Not burnt hits though. More like stale, with a slight flavor but not much. So im wondering what I can do to help with that? I did take the coil out and primed it decently, filled up the tank and let it sit while I charged the new batteries for at least 2hrs. Started at low wattage, around 15w, then moved up little by little going easy on it. Now ive found that 30w is best (the recommended 55-65w is way too harsh with the CBD ejuice). Any tips on getting better flavor would be awesome, besides that im happy with it. Wondering if the "poking holes with a needle" trick would help? And if so, how far do you poke in to the cotton??? No leaks so far (unlike the damn kangertech!!!)...Sorry this is so long, my mind is filled with info and questions from all the stuff out there about the Smok Aliens and CBD!
As far as the cotton poking i do it and it wicks better and get less burnt hits. You have to be careful to not bend the wire because it will change how the current flows and distribute heat or even short the wire. I do 2 thru 2 sides and 1 thru hole thru 2 sides. Using cbd oil, if its thicker than a max vg juice you may want to poke add another hole to 2 sides maybe a third? Its personal taste rather than exact science. Also when in watt>mode>strength change it to SOFT. Slows how fast the power runs thru it. If you want to vape at 30ish id move to a .6 coil the .4 is rated lowest at 40 watt best at 55 watt. Adj ohm im not sure really but i usually just force it to what ever the rated ohms on the device. .4 coil would be 0.400 ohms. Always click old unless its a new coil hope that helps some.

I've used the adjust ohms feature when a build was to low and would not fire. I adjusted from 0.95 to 0.10. Just for a temporary fix. Also back when I had the osub 80 plus, if maxing out to 80 wasn't hot enough, I would adjust ohms from say 0.13 to 0.18 and it would totally change the vape from mild to hot and roudy. It lets you go 0.05 up or down.

VU Sponsors