Become a Patron!

Ohmmeter combo box that can fire high resistance coils?

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a typical ohmmeter / voltmeter / coil firing box - a Pilotvape I think, the label is gone - and it works well, but it fails to fire high resistance coils properly. Coils above 1.8Ω will warm up at best, but not glow unless they're made of 34 gauge wire. I think that thing just connects the battery directly to the coil when the button is pressed in fire mode. But that won't do with high-ohm coils.

So when I need to do such builds, I use my Sifu B-Tab. Since it's basically a mod with a second 510 socket, it fires any coil in power mode, and the power is adjustable. The trouble with the B-Tab is, the ohmmeter part of it is dreadful.

So what I'd like is a building box that has a proper, real-time ohmmeter and also a proper coil firing circuit that works in power mode and is adjustable. I'm thinking of sticking the guts of a cheap mod running ArticFox into an empty ohmmeter box - I have a couple of crummy Wismec mods that would make fine coil building stations. But before I spend time doing this, does anybody know if a ready-made box exists that does what I need?

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've been searching for a while and this one is the closest I've found. I like how the description reads but you know how that goes. :) It may not be what you're looking for after all but I tried.

I'd like to have it myself, but I've already got 2 others - the coilmaster tab mini, and a USA Meters unit that will read to .001 ohms. I don't build as high as you do so what I've got does me fine.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been searching for a while and this one is the closest I've found. I like how the description reads but you know how that goes. :) It may not be what you're looking for after all but I tried.

I'd like to have it myself, but I've already got 2 others - the coilmaster tab mini, and a USA Meters unit that will read to .001 ohms. I don't build as high as you do so what I've got does me fine.

Wow man, this is *exactly* what I need. Thanks!

Funny cuz I looked far and wide for such a device myself also, and I totally missed this one. But you sure didn't :)

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Good deal! Glad I could help. I hope you can find it, or maybe 3F will have em back in stock before long.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nice find @MWorthington ....haven't seen this in the past. Wouldn't mind one for myself.....:wave:

Pity they're out of stock everywhere I looked.....:(

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got the Pilot Vape Coil Magician v2 in the mail today. It was kind of hard to find this one!

But the feature I specifically bought it for - the ability to fire high resistance coils - leaves a lot to be desired: it is in fact essentially a PWM mod, but without voltage regulation. So basically the highest voltage it can output is whatever is in the battery. If you dial less power than it can output, it'll lower it fine. If you dial more, you're SOL. So for instance, with a 1.6Ω coil, it'll put out roughly 10W at best. That's no better than the dumb Pilot Vape I already have. Bummer...

Having said that, what a fabulous thing! It has a floating 510 center pin, it's solid and well built, it's a good ohmmeter in its own right, and the speed-adjustable motorized coiler thingy is great. For the price, it's really not a bad buy.

So, back to my original idea: I'll try to find a dead ohmmeter box somewhere, I'll gut it and I'll install the innards of some stupid Wismec mod running Artic Fox in the box. Could be a nice 2 hour project, come to think of it.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I got the Pilot Vape Coil Magician v2 in the mail today. It was kind of hard to find this one!

But the feature I specifically bought it for - the ability to fire high resistance coils - leaves a lot to be desired: it is in fact essentially a PWM mod, but without voltage regulation. So basically the highest voltage it can output is whatever is in the battery. If you dial less power than it can output, it'll lower it fine. If you dial more, you're SOL. So for instance, with a 1.6Ω coil, it'll put out roughly 10W at best. That's no better than the dumb Pilot Vape I already have. Bummer...

Having said that, what a fabulous thing! It has a floating 510 center pin, it's solid and well built, it's a good ohmmeter in its own right, and the speed-adjustable motorized coiler thingy is great. For the price, it's really not a bad buy.

So, back to my original idea: I'll try to find a dead ohmmeter box somewhere, I'll gut it and I'll install the innards of some stupid Wismec mod running Artic Fox in the box. Could be a nice 2 hour project, come to think of it.

Shit I hate that! I was hoping it would work for you. If you can't find a dead meter, maybe get a project box from an electronics supply store for the case?

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Shit I hate that! I was hoping it would work for you. If you can't find a dead meter, maybe get a project box from an electronics supply store for the case?

Well, a dead meter already has a battery compartment and a 510 socket. That makes it trivial to stuff a regular mod in one.

brandon83021

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but from what I understand you wanted a build station with an ohm meter than can fire all kinds of resistances if I am correct. Why not use an old mod like an old eleaf 100w? When it still worked(and I rage quit trying to fix that damn thing) it could read resistance to .01ohms which should be enough for 99.9% of people and its vv/vw up to 100watts.

Idk if you have a mod that does all that but truthfully what does a vape ohm meter do that a mod can not?

VU Sponsors