Become a Patron!

Ohm question

So, I'm totally new to this and I have a question regarding ohm settings on a new mod I bought. Today I went to my local vape shop and bought a mod. Having been my first time ever vaping, the guy hooked me up with a Prism and the accessories, set it all up for me and walked me through the basics. However, when I got home I realized that my coil says 0.15 ohm but my mod screen is saying 0.16. Is this and issue, and if so, how do I change it? Thanks!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So, I'm totally new to this and I have a question regarding ohm settings on a new mod I bought. Today I went to my local vape shop and bought a mod. Having been my first time ever vaping, the guy hooked me up with a Prism and the accessories, set it all up for me and walked me through the basics. However, when I got home I realized that my coil says 0.15 ohm but my mod screen is saying 0.16. Is this and issue, and if so, how do I change it? Thanks!

It is not an Earth-shattering issue. I can see how it might appear frightening though. :)

Usually, you do not need to worry so direly much as long as your coils are reading out around say 0.05Ω +/- of what they are advertised. On the other hand, I have air there as well. ;) :) If you got a coil going say 0.50Ω +/- from what's on the docket, yep, then you need to be concerned and might want to 'tune up' your coil using tweezers. You also might toss out that coil if it's stock or comes from the maker. Not familiar with that mod. Though, I look at MVS (My Vape Store) and see it is indeed as I thought, a regulated mod. They are usually fairly good about sorting out how much current to give a coil. In summary, no, you've nothing to be too concerned over. Enjoy your vaping and welcome. :)

Kranky Kanger

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As MyMagjcMist stated, absolutely nothing to worry about. It is not uncommon at all to have a coil read anywhere from .01 to .03 + or - off. As noted, if it starts pushing .05 I'd worry about it. Your mod is fully regulated so it is likely that you can't even adjust the ohms. The chip in the mod reads the resistance of the coil and self adjusts accordingly. So don't sweat it, your fine.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The coil resistance will also change as it ages, heats up or get contaminated and is perfectly normal operation.

Welcome and I hope you enjoy your stay @Justin1911

Never be afraid to ask questions about how your gear reacts because it could be an issue that ignoring might get you in the news.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Never be afraid to ask questions about how your gear reacts because it could be an issue that ignoring might get you in the news.

Agreed and seconded. No fun needing to dash outside with a hot battery in your hands and hoping it doesn't blow up, tossing shrapnel worse than frag grenade. Gee, I've no idea which nameless MyMagicMist would have ever had such an experience. ;) :)

For the record, I'm still not quite sure why said battery took a notion to try going nuclear like that. Might have been a metallic burr, dust, possibly it was simply an old battery (and duh it had Efest in the name), gravity might have seduced the battery. Wish I knew what vector caused it as I'm usually rather cautious handling batteries. Aw, well poop happens even to our betters.

VU Sponsors