Become a Patron!

Ohm no

Chinamatic

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi friends. I recently picked up a clone rda which has goon like post system. I always use the same coil + wraps with my build reading out around 0.33 ohms. However in this new rda, it reads out to 0.42 range. I've done my trouble shooting, trying new coil, switching mods, etc.
My question is whether this presents a safety issue? Specifically whether or not the material used in the post system could be the cause and is that cause for concern?

Thanks in advance.

madjaggar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So you've tried different coils in they rda and it still reads .42?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Chinamatic

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The legs aren't longer. I took the coils and installed them on another rda and it read 0.33 ohms. Basically the new rda I bought seems to read higher

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The legs aren't longer. I took the coils and installed them on another rda and it read 0.33 ohms. Basically the new rda I bought seems to read higher

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

That usually indicates that the atty is somehow adding some of its own resistance.

Andria

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That usually indicates that the atty is somehow adding some of its own resistance.

Andria
Yep...Usually this happens in bigger RTA/RDA/RDTA/TANKS.
My Atlantis Mega does this.
The Coils read exactly 1.8 ohms by themselves.But will read anywhere between 1.83 - 1.88 ohms with the tank.I suspect an insulation issue is causing this at least in my situation.So that probably means dropping another $25+ on a new Atlantis Mega sooner or later...Sigh:mad:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If it's a regulated device no worries. The resistance of wire to changes as it heats up.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

I agree it's not a huge concern, but should it really change that much? Mine do fluctuate a bit from day to day with use, but they usually only fluctuate about .02 or so.

I would say, as long as you keep in mind than the coil may be as much as a tenth of an ohm lower resistance than it shows in that tank, you should be ok. But as noted, probably a good idea not to use it on a mechanical device where you have zero safeguards.

Always check and make sure the mounting screws are tight, too. Sometimes they can wiggle loose a bit, which causes all sorts of mayhem.

Andria

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree it's not a huge concern, but should it really change that much? Mine do fluctuate a bit from day to day with use, but they usually only fluctuate about .02 or so.

I would say, as long as you keep in mind than the coil may be as much as a tenth of an ohm lower resistance than it shows in that tank, you should be ok. But as noted, probably a good idea not to use it on a mechanical device where you have zero safeguards.

Always check and make sure the mounting screws are tight, too. Sometimes they can wiggle loose a bit, which causes all sorts of mayhem.

Andria
I don't think it would change that much. I assumed he checked all the normal causes of ohm resistance changes

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

Chinamatic

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for all the helpful replies everyone!

I will only be using it on a variable voltage mod.
Guess I should invest in the authentic version of the RDA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Andria
Ambient temperature can cause small fluctuations. As metal heats and cools the resistance rises and falls....

Heck some of the fluctuation your seeing on your mods meter could be rounding errors in the algorithms.

If possible use the average rather than live display. That way it doesn't bother you. I switch my pico running AF to live for setup and diagnosing and run the static ohm for vaping. The static is basically a cold read. As it will move a bit with use. But going from inside to outside or moving doesn't cause spasms.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors