Become a Patron!

OBS Engine severe spitback/flooding

culvre

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm not new to building and wicking RTA's - I only use rebuildables. But goddammit, I've rewicked this Engine 5 times and each time it's either dry, cottony hits or severe spitback and flooding. At first I tried putting the wick in the wick ports (snugly, but not tightly and not all the way to the deck) and it was not a saturated vape like I was expecting. It was slightly cottony and dissatisfying. Then I tried cutting the wick to the far edge of the deck and sort of laying it on the deck over the juice holes, using enough wick that I thought it wouldn't flood. Nope! Severe spitback. The other times were variations on these two, tweaking them to try and get it right. How the fuck do you wick this thing and get a decent vape? If I have to put up with cottony hits just to avoid spitback, then I sure as fuck wasted my money. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm using apprx. 68vg liquid.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i had similar issues ... are the coils close to the posts? and level with the top of the posts? I run diameter's of 2.5 / 3 in SS non clapton and claptons. Run in TC mode on DNA's .. what are you building / using?

Nevweezy

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah i had the same issue with my engine when i first got it. Make sure the wick is covering the entire wick hole. I lay my wicks on top. And when i fill i do it very quickly or it will flood. It is a little bit of a learning curve. I would cut your wicks just a little past the deck and lay them over the holes. Then everytime you full do it quickly and dont keep the fill port open to long or over fill it. Just to the top of the glass. Hope this helps.

cynkrzy

Old Guy with a New Trick
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
That video is spot on. While I don't pre-wet and fire the wicks and then trim them, I do cut them so they just enter the wicking hole. If you lay them over the top it floods/spits. If you stuff too much in the hole it dry hits.

Do it right and you'll be very pleased with the Engine, just happen to be vaping it today at work.

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love this tank . more then 'almost' every tank I own. This is what Im using as of right now. PS Im using a dark juice so It looks dirty but its not. I get no spit back and all flavor and lots of clouds. I have some single coil claptons I made myself. Do not use big ass coils in this tank.

CDFFPFS.jpg

culvre

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, I tried something new. I put a new build in (6 wrap 28 x 2 + 32 kanthal fused, 2.5 mm, both coils through the top two holes and mounted as high as I could get them without shorting on the chamber), and then I wicked it pretty snugly going through the wick ports a few millimeters. But then I took the allen screwdriver that came with the tank and poked it through each port to aid wicking. And I also took your advice, nevweezy, and began filling as quickly as possible. So far, so good. Pretty good vape. I'll update if the shit hits the fan again, which I really hope doesn't happen, but I don't trust this tank one bit yet.

culvre

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
High-mounted and smaller gauge coils are making a huge difference. Must be that extra little bit of cotton that's helping to prevent flooding, I guess? In any case I rewicked a second time to confirm that the first success wasn't just a fluke, and it's vaping even better than before. Still doing the quick-fill trick. It seems that I've got this one figured out. Thanks for all the tips, everyone.

Nevweezy

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
High-mounted and smaller gauge coils are making a huge difference. Must be that extra little bit of cotton that's helping to prevent flooding, I guess? In any case I rewicked a second time to confirm that the first success wasn't just a fluke, and it's vaping even better than before. Still doing the quick-fill trick. It seems that I've got this one figured out. Thanks for all the tips, everyone.
I always got flooding until i started doing the quick fill. No more. I have not tried cutting my wicks to the hole and have them just ever so slightly going into the hole like suggested above. Might have to try it and see if the vape improves, or if i dont have to fill so quick.

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
When it hits, this is such a great tank. The flavor is unreal! Like everyone I'm getting serious spitback too. Will try the various ideas talked about here. Below is another video I found.

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I use 27ga NiFe52 7/6 wrap. 65/35 VG/PG. In both the original Engine and the Nano, I don't put any wick into the holes.
I do tuck the ends over the holes.
Somewhere, I heard that the left side of the fill port is the 'magic' side. That's where I fill my Engines.
One of these must take care of the flooding/spitback, because I've not had any problem on mine.

VU Sponsors