Become a Patron!

OBS Crius RTA

mayorts

Member For 4 Years
Very nice looking well designed. I really like the pull top to fill feature, but the deck is too small for any serious builds. If someone has an rba or crown tank, for ex. and looking for the best of both worlds to save money and likes high air flow and large coils for high wattage, I wouldn't recommend it. I spent two days experimenting with gauges, twisted, single, Clapton's, etc and the best I could come up with is a twisted pair of 28 with 6 wraps at 40 watts, horizontal. Vertical coils at that gauge won't work. There just isn't the space for air flow. Any more than that, I get dry hits or a short. Any less gauge than that, just dry hits, period.
Might be great for someone in the 30 watt range, but if you have something like a crown you will not like it.
Buy more coils and be more happy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Very nice looking well designed. I really like the pull top to fill feature, but the deck is too small for any serious builds. If someone has an rba or crown tank, for ex. and looking for the best of both worlds to save money and likes high air flow and large coils for high wattage, I wouldn't recommend it. I spent two days experimenting with gauges, twisted, single, Clapton's, etc and the best I could come up with is a twisted pair of 28 with 6 wraps at 40 watts, horizontal. Vertical coils at that gauge won't work. There just isn't the space for air flow. Any more than that, I get dry hits or a short. Any less gauge than that, just dry hits, period.
Might be great for someone in the 30 watt range, but if you have something like a crown you will not like it.
Buy more coils and be more happy.

Really? I absolutely love both my Crowns and Crius! I run my Crius around 50 watts - flavor is fantastic without even a hint of a dry hit. I'm still using the coils that came with the base:D

mayorts

Member For 4 Years
Id love to know how you do it. I can't go over 30. I use cotton bacon

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I suspect wicking this tank is a bit trickier than people think. IME it's easy to get mediocre results. Trivially easy. But, to get best results, you have to get the wicking just so. Where "just so" means not so much as to restrict the juice ports--which will result in burning, but enough to prevent flooding/leaking.

I re-wicked and realized significant improvement. I re-trimmed the 2nd set of wicks and realized more improvement. I'm about to trim some more :)

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I run my crius at 65-70 watts. With duel 24 gauge 6 wrap at .2 ohms. It's all in the wicking. If wicked right, will not get a dry hit at all.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
so you have a criuis and do not like it? how much do you want for it?

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I suspect wicking this tank is a bit trickier than people think. IME it's easy to get mediocre results. Trivially easy. But, to get best results, you have to get the wicking just so. Where "just so" means not so much as to restrict the juice ports--which will result in burning, but enough to prevent flooding/leaking.

I re-wicked and realized significant improvement. I re-trimmed the 2nd set of wicks and realized more improvement. I'm about to trim some more :)

I suspect you're right. Sounds to me like OP is trying build different coils to fix a wicking problem.
I'd recommend that anyone looking to get into RTA's start with a V1 Orchid or V1 Cthulhu. If you can successfully wick those with no leaks or dry hits then the rest should be a cake walk.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Don't get me wrong: I think the Crius is a great tank. (But remember: I'm a n00b.) I just haven't become One with the optimal wicking of it, yet.

Judiciously trimmed just a bit >< more off a couple tails, earlier this evening. Result: Running a little >< cooler and producing a little >< more vapour. Maybe a bit more taste. (In fact: It's producing quite serious clouds, at least by my lights, at 30W.) Still at 30W, tho. I can do 35W, but it gets marginal. 40W is no go.

I'll probably re-trim the existing wicks one more time: To get them to the point where they're just >< visible at the tops of the juice ports. See what happens, then. After figuring out where the wicks need to be after they're good and wet comes the learning how to get 'em trimmed to the right length when dry.

Hope to get my home-made coil-making jig built, over the Turkey Day weekend, to get my first from-scratch coils wound :) I suspect that, if I can get the coils up to about .6-.8Ω, and my wicking right, I can get this thing producing the kind of density and flavour I want.

We'll see...

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't get me wrong: I think the Crius is a great tank. (But remember: I'm a n00b.) I just haven't become One with the optimal wicking of it, yet.

Judiciously trimmed just a bit >< more off a couple tails, earlier this evening. Result: Running a little >< cooler and producing a little >< more vapour. Maybe a bit more taste. (In fact: It's producing quite serious clouds, at least by my lights, at 30W.) Still at 30W, tho. I can do 35W, but it gets marginal. 40W is no go.

I'll probably re-trim the existing wicks one more time: To get them to the point where they're just >< visible at the tops of the juice ports. See what happens, then. After figuring out where the wicks need to be after they're good and wet comes the learning how to get 'em trimmed to the right length when dry.

Hope to get my home-made coil-making jig built, over the Turkey Day weekend, to get my first from-scratch coils wound :) I suspect that, if I can get the coils up to about .6-.8Ω, and my wicking right, I can get this thing producing the kind of density and flavour I want.

We'll see...
It came with 4 coils, right? You should be able to get optimal performance with those. I'm still using them up to about 50 watts (I didn't try higher), and they're awesome. Yes, you just want the wicks a teeny bit in the ports! I'd advise you to get the wicking right with those coils before you change them up, because at least you'll know when you've got that part right:D

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I forgot to say one thing - are you sure you have the juice flow completely open?

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I wick I cut the ends at a V. So pretty much the top of the juice hole is full but the bottom holes there's very little cotton.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
It came with 4 coils, right?
Yup.

Yes, you just want the wicks a teeny bit in the ports! I'd advise you to get the wicking right with those coils before you change them up, because at least you'll know when you've got that part right:D
*nod* That's precisely what I'm doing. I'm going a step further, in fact: I'm working on getting it right with the supplied cotton, first, rather than trying the Native Wicks cotton I have.

I forgot to say one thing - are you sure you have the juice flow completely open?
Yes.

When I wick I cut the ends at a V. So pretty much the top of the juice hole is full but the bottom holes there's very little cotton.
I wonder if that's optimal? That's the method shown in TVC's review. But ISTM what you don't want to do, above all, is block the juice holes. So I'm thinking trimming the ends of the wicks in more a swallow tail shape (or inverted V) would be better?

StanM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I trim my wicks to the build deck. The points of the wick next to the posts, I put down into the channels. The only thing that limits my wattage is heat, not dry hits.

VU Sponsors