Become a Patron!

Not the typical burnt coil question... Need help

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So I remember years ago that people talked about buildable blowing up if you don't do the coil right. Will premade rta coils be fine? Do I need to put them on that meter thing to check prebuilts?
You certainly can, but a regulated mod will tell you how many ohms are going. I really haven't heard too much bad in regard to regulated mods. Mech mods and wrong batteries are typicaly what make things go boom. Even in those, it's nearly always user error.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It’s an 810 but comfy. You probably have a 810 to 510 adapter included in one of your other rta’s. Yeah Asmodus doesn’t include an adapter.
Thanks for the info :)

I only have one, currently, and that adapter is in use, lol. I've seen adapters pretty cheap so I'll need to snag some of those. I hear good things about the Zesthia, and that price is really attractive.

Mike3891

Member For 1 Year
You certainly can, but a regulated mod will tell you how many ohms are going. I really haven't heard too much bad in regard to regulated mods. Mech mods and wrong batteries are typicaly what make things go boom. Even in those, it's nearly always user error.

Ok... Yeah I used to have a mechanical mod but always had the store build my coils. So anything I put on my aegis legend will tell me if it's bad or not work?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Premade coils are fine.
You can use your Legend in place of an ohm meter till you get all your gear together.
imo, ideally in a regulated dual 18650 mod with good 15A batteries, you can run [15A is 48w pr batt x2 =] 96w. In regulated, if we get outside the amps/volts/wattage parameters of the batteries, the mod should go into one of the safety modes, [low batt, ohms too low] and not fire. If your coil is touching something it shoukdn't it will say "short" or something like that, and not fire.

Mike3891

Member For 1 Year
Premade coils are fine.
You can use your Legend in place of an ohm meter till you get all your gear together.
imo, ideally in a regulated dual 18650 mod with good 15A batteries, you can run [15A is 48w pr batt x2 =] 96w. In regulated, if we get outside the amps/volts/wattage parameters of the batteries, the mod should go into one of the safety modes, [low batt, ohms too low] and not fire. If your coil is touching something it shoukdn't it will say "short" or something like that, and not fire.

You lost me.... So is there a range I should run it at? Or just 96?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
96w was just an example of approx max wattage in a regulated mod and still be within the "safe" range of the output for 2x15A 18650 batteries. I use 15A because that is typical of a good 18650. But, with a regulated mod like Legend is, you have safeties that will not let the mod fire if anything is wrong. It's just good practice to make sure your batteries match up with how many watts or the watt range you'll be vaping at. If your a low wattage vaper like me the 15A batteries are plenty. If you vape over 100-120w then you might want higher amp batteries.
Other than that, just vape at the wattage you like ! :)

Mike3891

Member For 1 Year
96w was just an example of approx max wattage in a regulated mod and still be within the "safe" range of the output for 2x15A 18650 batteries. I use 15A because that is typical of a good 18650. But, with a regulated mod like Legend is, you have safeties that will not let the mod fire if anything is wrong. It's just good practice to make sure your batteries match up with how many watts or the watt range you'll be vaping at. If your a low wattage vaper like me the 15A batteries are plenty. If you vape over 100-120w then you might want higher amp batteries.
Other than that, just vape at the wattage you like ! :)

Yeah I haven't gone past 70 or 80. So I'm thinking I'll try the zesthia since it's cheap and multiple recommendations at this point. What coil do I get for it from here?

https://www.advancedvapesupply.com/collections/all

Unless there's another site you recommend.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I'm enjoying the authentic Juggerknot mini quite a bit. Ordered the clone after reading a post or two from Heart talking about it. It shipped from ft yesterday; also ordered a 3pk of replacement bubble glass for the minis. Still love my Nanos too. Been using the Advken CP TF rta for a couple days, wick needs a tweak but am liking it as well. Truth is that there are more than a few good rtas these days.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Yeah I haven't gone past 70 or 80. So I'm thinking I'll try the zesthia since it's cheap and multiple recommendations at this point. What coil do I get for it from here?

My go to is the tri core fused clapton but all of their coils are good. Message them on their site and they'll help you choose.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I’m using a 3mm i.d. Coil anything you like really. 5 or 6 wraps spaced .35 - .40 ohms for me. Clapton’s, Fused Claptons, etc.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Apparently vaporrange doesn't ship to all states... Including mine. I'll have to try and find a deal on another site.

Does it matter which coil I put in the rta?
Really? What state do you live? A 3mm I.d. Or at most 3.5mm I.d. Coil but not really you can put whatever you like as long as it fits.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Builders @Shredtravolta @zephyr or @CrazyChef v2.0 might have some guidance/input for you based on how you want it to vape. Cool, warm, hot, wattage range, clouds or flavor, etc. Other than that, I use the aliens if from AVS but that might not be for you.

I heard something about Utah and vape, maybe a recent law? Can't remember.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Builders @Shredtravolta @zephyr or @CrazyChef v2.0 might have some guidance/input for you based on how you want it to vape. Cool, warm, hot, wattage range, clouds or flavor, etc. Other than that, I use the aliens if from AVS but that might not be for you.

I think supposedly vape online sales to Utah is not permitted if memory serves me.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Don't forget @VAPEROXX :)
i only have personal experience with @zephyr coils and can say that they are excellent.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've bought all sorts of stuff online before. Recently I've only done juices though.

Edit.... You are correct as of 2016. That's ridiculous cause stuff is insanely priced at the local shops.
Indeed. You could have gotten the mod, a couple rta's and some juice and batteries AND a charger online for what you paid in the shop. Not trying to rub it in, but online shopping for vape stuff is THE way to go.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
asMODus has it on their site. $24.47 after 30% code "5Year" , free ship I believe. Way more than $14 but might be the best deal on that one atm.
(just looked, only the blue is in stock)

Mike3891

Member For 1 Year
asMODus has it on their site. $24.47 after 30% code "5Year" , free ship I believe. Way more than $14 but might be the best deal on that one atm.
(just looked, only the blue is in stock)

I found a few that ship to Utah. Most sites don't have any of the rta's you guys recommended.

I'm gonna need wicking for this right? What cotton do you guys suggest? Just the stuff on advanced vape supply? The bacon or kendo?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've bought all sorts of stuff online before. Recently I've only done juices though.

Edit.... You are correct as of 2016. That's ridiculous cause stuff is insanely priced at the local shops.
What sites are you finding that will ship to you? If it comes down to it, and you can't find what you want, I'd be willing to order the Zesthia tank from Vapor Range. They only have it in blue when I looked. After that I'd ship it to you, you could pay me through Paypal.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What sites are you finding that will ship to you? If it comes down to it, and you can't find what you want, I'd be willing to order the Zesthia tank from Vapor Range. They only have it in blue when I looked. After that I'd ship it to you, you could pay me through Paypal.
Top notch service right there. That's awesome Huck

Mike3891

Member For 1 Year

Most of the sites still willing to ship don't have anything anyone's recommended on here. I ended up ordering from asmodus directly. They are still shipping to Utah. I appreciate that offer though. Very generous.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

Mike3891

Member For 1 Year
So I ripped apart a coil that I thought tasted nasty and burnt. Here's a picture of it. Doesn't look very burnt to me. The cotton on the right was against the coil.

Attachments

• 20190127_081312.jpg
    20190127_081312.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 14

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
So I ripped apart a coil that I thought tasted nasty and burnt. Here's a picture of it. Doesn't look very burnt to me. The cotton on the right was against the coil.

Frickin' mesh

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I would strongly recommend against those cheap, Chinese machine wrapped, crap wire coils for an RTA. I can custom build you a set (or sets) that will vape better and last way longer than AVS, Coilmaster, or any other Chinese junk coils.
e341588841cf863e7aa3ec14cb9bc42d.jpg
1ebbb914facd59d56f2e7e2d745899ad.jpg
6731d576316000448f4244434fa716d3.jpg
2cc98d02a14c611e85da149a3a6b2324.jpg

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/wts-wtt-aspex-performance-coils.434798/

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Most of the sites still willing to ship don't have anything anyone's recommended on here. I ended up ordering from asmodus directly. They are still shipping to Utah. I appreciate that offer though. Very generous.
No worries. I'm glad you're able to get one that several have recommended. I think it's BS that people can't order outside of their state. Utah isn't the only state that does that, if memory serves. Keep us posted on how things go, though.

If you're not looking to do rebuildables, I'm quite happy with my Crown IV (4) Tank! No leaking since I've purchased it - great flavor, and has the mesh coil option!

For priming, I just fill my tank up with the new coil installed, and let it sit for 30 minutes - I've never had any issues at all!

101vape

VU Vendor Employee
VU Vendor Employee
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you're not looking to do rebuildables, I'm quite happy with my Crown IV (4) Tank! No leaking since I've purchased it - great flavor, and has the mesh coil option!

For priming, I just fill my tank up with the new coil installed, and let it sit for 30 minutes - I've never had any issues at all!

I second this opinion. Yes, rebuildables are awesome, but if you want the ease of subohm tanks, the Uwell Crown IV is great. We don't get too many complaints on that tank. I personally use a FreeMax Mesh Pro on an Aegis Legend - Dual Mesh coil at 65W and it vapes great.

I only briefly read through the replies, but I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet. Premade coils on subohm tanks sometimes need a break-in period. It will taste burnt for the first day of use, but eventually evens out to a better vape. Taste is subjective too, and what tastes burnt to you may taste fine to other people.

Also, are you vaping for nicotine satisfaction (vs clouds)? Because nowadays pod systems are really popular for vaping salt nic vape juice (25mg nic or more). They're super low power devices and are great for at home or on-the-go vaping. I personally stick to subohm high power vapes though since I vape for them sweet sweet clouds.

Mike3891

Member For 1 Year
So my rta came in today and I threw on a coil and wick. Seems to work good and no dry burnt taste at all. Still afraid of it blowing up in my face though. It read .18 when I attached it then went to .27. The instructions say .3 for the coil. I assume this is okay.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So my rta came in today and I threw on a coil and wick. Seems to work good and no dry burnt taste at all. Still afraid of it blowing up in my face though. It read .18 when I attached it then went to .27. The instructions say .3 for the coil. I assume this is okay.
Was it .18 ohms before the wick? If the ohms jump anymore make sure you tightened the post screws & the coil is not touching anywhere on the deck.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

As long as you're using good batteries, you should be fine. What kind of batteries are you running?

Did you end up getting the Zesthia? If not, what did you get, and do you like it? We want DETAILS, man! :D

Mike3891

Member For 1 Year
Imren batteries. Yes I got the zesthia. So far I like it mostly. I'll have to get better at wicking though. Even wide open it seems the air flow is lacking (probably cause of my wicking). Little bit of leakage at first (probably wicking) but stopped. Don't like how it's threaded when I go to refill. It took forever to get it to unscrew without unscrewing the tank and losing the liquid. Feel like I'm still getting burnt/dry hits but not as often.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Imren batteries. Yes I got the zesthia. So far I like it mostly. I'll have to get better at wicking though. Even wide open it seems the air flow is lacking (probably cause of my wicking). Little bit of leakage at first (probably wicking) but stopped. Don't like how it's threaded when I go to refill. It took forever to get it to unscrew without unscrewing the tank and losing the liquid. Feel like I'm still getting burnt/dry hits but not as often.

Seems like some of the single-coil RTAs are designed to have less airflow than the dual-coils. People do seem to have a little more trouble wicking RTAs than RDAs, from what I've read, and I think I've already said somewhere that I mucked my Zeus up good the first time I wicked it. I managed to get a leak-proof RTA to leak.

If you haven't already, take a look at a few YouTube videos that have some info about wicking that particular RTA. Also maybe play with wattage and airflow some - sometimes you can run RTAs at lower wattage and get a better vape and fewer dry hits. Single coil at 0.27, I could probably vape that at no more than 55 watts and it would have plenty of warmth and vapor with airflow turned down just a bit from wide open, maybe about 75-80% of full air.

Mike3891

Member For 1 Year
Seems like some of the single-coil RTAs are designed to have less airflow than the dual-coils. People do seem to have a little more trouble wicking RTAs than RDAs, from what I've read, and I think I've already said somewhere that I mucked my Zeus up good the first time I wicked it. I managed to get a leak-proof RTA to leak.

If you haven't already, take a look at a few YouTube videos that have some info about wicking that particular RTA. Also maybe play with wattage and airflow some - sometimes you can run RTAs at lower wattage and get a better vape and fewer dry hits. Single coil at 0.27, I could probably vape that at no more than 55 watts and it would have plenty of warmth and vapor with airflow turned down just a bit from wide open, maybe about 75-80% of full air.

I've been doing fully open at 45 watts. Watts seem fine but I wish airflow was better.... Again... Probably wicking issues. Don't have tweezers so I stuffed it in there with the Allen key. I wish taste was there more too though.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
4C1A9EF6-5CB7-4880-A97D-32241AD1FAC9.jpeg
I've been doing fully open at 45 watts. Watts seem fine but I wish airflow was better.... Again... Probably wicking issues. Don't have tweezers so I stuffed it in there with the Allen key. I wish taste was there more too though.
Here’s a pic of my coil placement & it needs sufficient wick but of course not too much. It’s a restricted direct lung rta.
The top of the coil should be level with the top of the posts. It helps with flavor. And as long as it holds steady at .27 ohms it’s fine.

Mike3891

Member For 1 Year
View attachment 130365
Here’s a pic of my coil placement & it needs sufficient wick but of course not too much. It’s a restricted direct lung rta.
The top of the coil should be level with the top of the posts. It helps with flavor. And as long as it holds steady at .27 ohms it’s fine.

I pulled it apart today and moved the coil up more. Airflow is better now. Changed the coil to .26 but it's staying steady there. I vaguely remember something about nicotine levels affecting taste. Would 12 nicotine give me a dryish taste?

Also, I'm liking this tank less and less. When putting it back together, you can screw the piece with the holes that refill the tank on upside-down. It was a nightmare with an oily tank trying to get it off. The pieces are all things and hard to get a good grasp off when taking apart.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I pulled it apart today and moved the coil up more. Airflow is better now. Changed the coil to .26 but it's staying steady there. I vaguely remember something about nicotine levels affecting taste. Would 12 nicotine give me a dryish taste?

Also, I'm liking this tank less and less. When putting it back together, you can screw the piece with the holes that refill the tank on upside-down. It was a nightmare with an oily tank trying to get it off. The pieces are all things and hard to get a good grasp off when taking apart.
I haven’t used 12mg nic in a long time so I can’t answer that. As far as taking the tank apart. I make sure it’s all clean than screw on the deck section then the top cap but not too tight as to make it hard to unscrew.

placemace

Member For 1 Year
Сan help to disassemble and thoroughly rinse all parts

Perhaps it is better to buy a new one to feel satisfaction, the further to suffer with it

89.jpg

VU Sponsors