Become a Patron!

Not sure what to buy

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
I have a question for anyone willing to help. I recently purchased the Aspire Cleito 120 RTA and I'm looking for replacement coils for it. The Cleito 120 has prefab coils that are rated for 100-120 Watts and are .16 ohm clapton kanthals but I found out when I bought the RTA section the pre-installed coils are .19 ohm clapton kanthal and only seem to reach 75-80 watts before I start getting dry hits. So, I'm not really interested in making my own coils and was hoping to find pre-made coils that will give me what I'm looking for. Then I found out how many different types of coils are out there and have no idea what to buy. All I know is I want clapton wire with a preference for SS316L but would be ok with kanthal too and I want something that will go up to around 100 watts or more. I bought the 120 for the added power but have now had to sacrifice that with these pre-installed coils. Anyway, any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

fartbubble

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
if you're looking to push it, go 316l fused claptons (don't get flat clapton, you don't want that headache) Much better taste than kanthal and will get you the wattage you want. I'd wait for a sale at Advanced Vape Supply and buy some spools (or prebuilt coils if you don't want to wrap your own)

https://www.advancedvapesupply.com/

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for. Now as long as I'm using the steam engine site correctly to calculate my resistance I think I'm good. Ordered a ten pack that should come out to be roughly 0.11 ohms in a duel coil setup.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The issue ive found with a lot of pre built coils is they aren't all that great..Most are china made and use a large outer wrap (usually 32g)which causes a big ramp up time so, beware of whos pre built coils you purchase...The higher quality made coils are typically $6.00 or more for a pair ...Not $6.00 for 10 pre built coils.

You can use steam engine all you want but treat it as reference and not a set in stone result from the formulas used...In general if you want a .50 ohm resistance then you need two 1 ohm coils..Its typically half the resistance of one coil when combined together...I would look for an advertised .25 pre built coil or in that area and see what you end up with but I doubt it will be exact..One coil can be rated at .25 and it end up .22 or .27..you just gotta install them, get the hot spots out and see where it ends up.

fartbubble

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The issue ive found with a lot of pre built coils is they aren't all that great..Most are china made and use a large outer wrap (usually 32g)which causes a big ramp up time so, beware of whos pre built coils you purchase...The higher quality made coils are typically $6.00 or more for a pair ...Not $6.00 for 10 pre built coils

Huh? Never had a problem with coils from AVS. Their coils are legit

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Huh? Never had a problem with coils from AVS. Their coils are legit
I didn't point a finger at any particular place to order from, that's just what most of them offer in general.

fartbubble

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I didn't point a finger at any particular place to order from, that's just what most of them offer in general.

That I won't disagree with. Typically if I buy premade wire, it's through AVS (though I mainly make my own with the Daedalus and wire from Temco these days)

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I like Temco wire...they were the first place I ever order wire (kanthal) from when getting started...They were out of SS wire however last time I needed to make a recent order so I ended up going elsewhere for SS316L wire....Just most of the "claptons" ive seen are wrapped in a larger 32g wire instead of the desired 36g to 40g wire...I have some of that type of wire and its not all that great IMO.

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
The issue ive found with a lot of pre built coils is they aren't all that great..Most are china made and use a large outer wrap (usually 32g)which causes a big ramp up time so, beware of whos pre built coils you purchase...The higher quality made coils are typically $6.00 or more for a pair ...Not $6.00 for 10 pre built coils.

You can use steam engine all you want but treat it as reference and not a set in stone result from the formulas used...In general if you want a .50 ohm resistance then you need two 1 ohm coils..Its typically half the resistance of one coil when combined together...I would look for an advertised .25 pre built coil or in that area and see what you end up with but I doubt it will be exact..One coil can be rated at .25 and it end up .22 or .27..you just gotta install them, get the hot spots out and see where it ends up.
Ok, the ones I ordered are fused 316L clapton 26g x w/34g. Is that any good cause I'm totally new to this and not quite sure what's good and what isn't.

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
Ok, the ones I ordered are fused 316L clapton 26g x w/34g. Is that any good cause I'm totally new to this and not quite sure what's good and what isn't.

Oops 26g x 2/34g, damn cellphone keyboard

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Oops 26g x 2/34g, damn cellphone keyboard

Those will work..I cant vouch for the quality of wire but to start off with to see if you like claptons or not it should be fine...My first Clapton wire was a single core 26g wrapped in 32g wire and was kanthal...So youre off to a better start than I was...lol

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
Those will work..I cant vouch for the quality of wire but to start off with to see if you like claptons or not it should be fine...My first Clapton wire was a single core 26g wrapped in 32g wire and was kanthal...So youre off to a better start than I was...lol
Well, I've used plenty of prefab claptons from aspire and the pre-installed coils on my Rta are basic aspire clapton kantal. Even when I was using the prefabs I got to the point where I'd only buy claptons. But on the prefabs they don't tell you what gauge wires are in it or what type of clapton it is so that's the part that's new to me.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
They should list an Ohm rating for each Clapton..If they are .25ohm single coils figure half that number for a final ohms rating with 2 coils but its very rare a coil is spot on with its rating.

A single core meaning a 26x1 with a wrap over it is a basic Clapton coil....As the case with what you purchased 26x2 means it has 2 pieces of 26g wire together then wrapped..This is a "Fused" Clapton...There are many exotic variations of a Clapton which I cant even remember them all to name them but a fused Clapton is considered a really good coil in general...It should be a lot better than what you get in a pre made screw in coil or what most manufacturers send with an RTA you install the wire yourself they supply.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thinner wire wrapped around the core is considered better as it has more space to hold juice which enhances flavor..Thinner wire also allows the coil to heat up faster which most people like..I personally use 36g as a wrap on my claptons but im working my way down to thinner wire as I get more and more comfortable making the coils...The smaller the wire the more difficult it can be to make the coil...I hope to work my way down to a 40g as a wrap..Thats like the thickness of a fine hair..lol

InSainn

Member For 3 Years
if you're looking to push it, go 316l fused claptons (don't get flat clapton, you don't want that headache) Much better taste than kanthal and will get you the wattage you want. I'd wait for a sale at Advanced Vape Supply and buy some spools (or prebuilt coils if you don't want to wrap your own)

https://www.advancedvapesupply.com/

Received the coils I ordered from here yesterday and what a difference. Thanks for all the help. One other quick question. They came packed in some cotton material inside the little tray. Is that wicking cotton or just packaging cotton? It looks like pretty good stuff but I didn't order any so I wasn't sure.

allanworks

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
most of the time if you buy twin pack's of coils they include free cotton usually japanese cotton. i myself buy coils from here http://www.gearbest.com/accessories/pp_391376.html?wid=21 yea there chinese but this model hasnt let me down yet. at less than $2 a 10 pack i buy a years at a time. i haven't had any luck with ss316 every coil i built with it had a metal taste so i now stick with prebuilts.

VU Sponsors