Become a Patron!

Not getting cloudchasing performance on my Hammer mod :/

I'm new to cloudchasing. Most people warned against it, but I know basic electricity, so I figured why not?

I went to a shop in NJ and picked up:

Clone Hammer Mod by E-Quake
Patriot RDA
28 gauge kanthal
18350 IMREN at 800mAh

Sadly, I'm not getting huge clouds. It performs well, but it isn't chuchucking thick clouds at all. :/

Is this caused by my poor amp battery? My coil is wrapped 5/6 and reading 1.1 ohms.

Thanks for the help :)

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
umm..
OK 1.1 ohms unless in a high wattage reg mod you are not going to get clouds for shit.
Patriot.. not enough air flow for clouds.
Hammer.. make sure the switch is not going to auto fire on you.
18350.. you better have gotten an extension tube for 18650 with it.

Nitrowolf72

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Don't expect much from the hammer mod period. I bought one and it was a big let down. Not near as good as any of my other mechs.

Sent from my LGL35G

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
get the 18650 tube, then go to a locksmith and ask for two Schlage tumbler springs. Take the two tumbler springs and put them together inside the spring you already have in your firing button. Then wrap a coil towards the .5 area. Make sure you have a good 20a or 35a battery. Then, you should see better clouds.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ditch the Hammer, and get a copper mod with an 18650 tube. Magnet switch is a good bonus, but any copper mod will do. Then you need to pick up Doge V2 atty w/ chuff cap/Mutation X/Dark Horse/Little Boy, some 24, 22 and 20 gauge Kanthal A1, japanese cotton/rayon, ohm reader and finally some Sony batteries. VTC4's will do since they are the only Sony batteries available right now, nearly all VTC5's on the market are fakes. Then you will watch some videos on youtube, maybe by Maesto Vapes, and you should be good.

Nitrowolf72

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I hadn't seen that fix for the hammer mod. I will definitely have to give that a try. Thanks @Celtic Fog

Sent from my LGL35G

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, like rommel said, you need different wire.
Whatever shop sold you a mech mod & dual coil dripper with 28g wire doesn't know what their doing... kayfun, that's fine. With a dual coil dripper you will be nowhere close to a warm, full vape... let alone clouds.

You really need to be in the 0.4 (24g) or lower range with an atty that has good air flow like any of the ones rommel suggested to get into cloud production. The plume is a good atty and you can get it to produce clouds, but there are better choices now if seeking a fog machine.
I like a warm, not hot, medium throat hit so I build at 0.3 ohms. You will find out what resistance works best for you and your chosen atty.

If you are getting down into that low resistance you need a good 18650 battery. A 18350 of any kind is not safe in that range.
The shop was correct in giving you 28g for the battery's capability to keep you safe, but they were wrong if you are using a mech with a dual coil atty and looking for clouds.

I would look to VU for advice, not that shop. Know what you want before you go in... better yet... buy the hardware online and just pick up your juice from them.

I also agree, ditch the hammer... or keep it for a stealth kayfun nano 18350 setup.
I prefer stainless to copper especially with a hybrid connection, you really don't need copper unless you are getting into ridiculous low builds. And copper is much more maintenance.

Just a couple cheap suggestions...
copper
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10009268/1832004-xxix-style-copper-mechanical-mod
stainless
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10009631/1849003-surfrider-styled-18650-mechanical-mod

Last edited:

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah, the Hammer, and all 18350 mods for that matter, are only suitable for kayfuns and such. For clouds, you need 18650 or 26650. And the things on my list if you want to impress your friends or the judges in the competitions.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@Rommel also the logo less paps is a good cheap mech. 10 bucks.

I will admit I have seen a select few dudes use a 350 mod and genny/duel post atty make some meh level clouds. But
a. they bored the holes out a hair bigger
b. a wider bored step less drip tip
c. 100% vg.

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you're looking to compete in competitions, I would definitely go with an 18650 size mod. Every comp I've been to had limitations restricting you to that size.

I agree that stainless is much less hassle than copper. Unless you get a copper plated device, copper mods are generally soft and will warp easier than stainless. To me they are just not very good for everyday use.

Having said that I, a good Nemesis clone is a great starter mod for the money. Stainless clones can be found online for as low as $10. If you really want to go with copper I'd suggest getting something meaty like an AR copper clone.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah, but thats not really cloud chasing is it? :D 350 batts are good for stealth mods, but if we are talking about serious cloud chasing, theres just no way.

Flooded with more advice than I can read haha. This really helped me a bunch. Probably not returning to that shop for a while, and I'm buying my equipment online from now on.

I found Nemesis and Pegasus mods on FastTech as low as $12. Are these clones safe to use? I don't wanna be sucked into cheap sales and end up being disappointed.

Thanks a bunch guys!

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If you want a good cheap mod search FT for the paps logoless.
I have no issues with my brass nemmy.

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My nemesis is a stainless clone that I bought at a liquor store so I'm assuming it's a clone. It was priced at $40, but it had been sitting on the shelf for a long time. I talked him down to $15 and still feel pretty good about the deal even though I have no idea who made it. The design of the nemesis (and really any tube mech imo) makes it really hard to screw up. What ever you choose just remember to keep the threads clean. Not only will you have a lot of voltage drop if your threads are dirty, but it could also cause shorts within the mod itself.

mattallen

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have a hammer mod clone that I got from a buddy who ended up not liking the style. I've upgraded all the springs and polishied the tube. Used a small amout of No-ox at the contact points. Fixed the voltage drop issues and with the .5 ohm coil supplied with the kanger sub ohm tank I can chuck serious clouds

VU Sponsors