Noobie builder here :)

wikkid1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Greets vapers!

So I finally went out and bought me a rebuildable. Since I'm not into cloud chasing and subohming I figured something like a kayfun would be perfect, so I got me a kayfun lite 2 clone by ephro. It came with a store built coil which I fired up a couple of times just to get a taste, as soon as I got home I yanked that thing out to build my own :)

dEazRkcVR26hgGUzDVNV2G0CvrVNyHrCZ5MQ478Aspzb-sGJ5vW2V1787UXR76AnR8SyPCsY6k4=w1896-h873

This is the first build, came out as 1.5ohm, kinda low but it'll do.

Then I saw a vid that showed how to make a chimney coil and I just had to try that... dumped the liq, rinsed the whole thing (except the deck/coil) and got down to making another one.
Ended up with this:
iJNJteyCj3wGOUSQyJzLr2d3TX_xwqgyiyYkU9OGA-PJF73hPUhIrRbhw2vWUjUxyQxZWyic4XM=w1896-h873

Qlq_0-Mpx4711RupqGFRvYzfafIcD0oEqOWSPdjjs9DwribY9h_lAllEKdTogafsXPkgEdLbAKA=w1896-h873

not the prettiest piece, but it seems to sit right over the air-hole, so in theory it should be damm near ideal. This one also measured out at 1.5ohm after getting all the hotspots out and such.

This chimney coil thing, looks koool, though I'm not sure that I like it for a couple of reasons. I feel that the taste/flavor I was getting with the first coil was better, with the chimney it tastes a little off, not sure why - same wire and wicking.
Speaking of wicking, the second reason I don't like the chimney is because it was a b!tch to wick! Since the wicking doesn't go through the coil and just sits around it it was a pain to get in enough cotton to cover both sides of the well while also keeping the cotton amount low enough to be able to screw the chimney on afterwards. I had to re-wick it a couple times before I was able to achieve all of the above, the first attempt was much too much cotton, couldn't fit the chimney over it :/

Now, who's got some other neat coil builds? Have you tried the chimney? What did you think about it?

D

Donald Bickers

alqFrjw.jpg

this is what I use in my kayfun,,,its called the "navy nest"and I try to make my coil around 1.00 ohm,with this style of wicking I have had very good luck,no dry hits and no flooding,,,,,before I started using this I always had problems with my kayfun leaking,not anymore
edit:that was the wrong pic,that was my taifun not my kaifun ,but theres not much difference
gOejo3b.jpg

wikkid1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What are you using as wicking? That doesn't look like cotton, which is what I used... actually I went a step further in the wrong direction, I couldn't find any organic cotton at home or at the local cvs, so I used whatever I had... nasty. Also, until about an hour ago I didn't have any battery that could power the LR coils, that's why I've been messing with 28gauge and about 9 wraps.

Buuut, last night my fav ego battery decided that it's had enough, had to do an emergency visit to the local shop. Figured I may as well go all out and got a big nasty with a sigelei rda. This badboy came with the store built four coil setup at .3ohm IIRC (didn't realize that my mvp wouldn't be able to measure that low). The flavor is stunning, it truly is a huge step up from the kayfun. But it's also quite a bit more hassle, can't just toss it into a bag and go as it will leak all over (unless it's dry obviously,) need to constantly add more juice, need to remove and charge battery using a wall charger, I'm sure I'll think of more but that's what I've got so far... only been playing with it for an hour or so.

After messing around with the big nasty for another day (forgot to post the reply earlier) I really like it. Like I said already the flavor is just amazing, unfortunately I only have one flavor of juice with low enough nic that I can vape it in an rda. Accidentaly put in some 12mg nic juice and it was muuuuch too hard, even though I just stopped smoking less then a month ago. Actually, it's more or less exactly a month right now :)
I really like the big nasty, it's a pleasure to hold, fits into my hand really well, has a nice weight to it - I'm not worried much about dropping it like I am with the glass tanks or even ego's. The locking button on this thing is a pretty big PITA, it's not reverse threaded so it has a tendency to get stuck. And I did get it stuck in less then an hour after bringing it home :/ while searching for a way to unstick it I found an interesting idea about how to prevent it from sticking again - put an o-ring into the mechanism to prevent it from screwing all the way on, and it works! But I had to take it back to the store to get it unstuck, didn't want to put the pliers to it to prevent scratching/denting the piece - the store had their pliers wrapped with many layers of electrical tape, good idea, too bad I didn't think of it in time.

D

Donald Bickers

yes its cotton,,,,,its organic cotton,,,,but any cotton will work,i have used cotton ive got from the dollar store and never had any bad taste
the lower you go on your ohms the lower you need to be on your nicotine,i think the reason being is it burns hotter ,using more juice,therefore you get a more concentrated nicotine hit,that is just my opinion and don't have any facts to prove it ,but it makes sense to me

wikkid1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That bit about nicotine makes sense to me as well, also I noticed that I can now vape my 12mg nic juice after I went from a four coil build to a dual. Single coil would probably give even less of a throat-kick from the higher nic juices.
Wish I didn't buy so many 12/24mg nic juices, the 24 was too much to begin with and the 12 is now being pushed out by the nasty.

About them pics, with that much wicking in the well do you soak it before assembling and filling the tank or do you just build it and let the cotton soak up what it wants? Wouldn't too much cotton flood the coil and make it spit juice back? I keep having problems wicking my kayfun properly, its made extra difficult by the chimney coil that sits vertical instead of horizontal, probably going to pull that chimney coil out and put a regular one in.

VU Sponsors