Become a Patron!

Non-Stop Burnt hits

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So it's been a few years since I dabbled with RTA's. I just picked up the Ammit 25 because of good reviews and easy build deck.
I'm using 22g kanthal right now, but will be switching to 26g when it comes in the mail. For wicking, I'm using organic cotton balls that I washed and unraveled. That cotton has served me well with RDA's and my previous RTA's.
I'm building simple coils right now with 6 wraps around a 3mm bit. The coil comes out to 0.37 ohms, and I'm putting 56watts through it. The first few hits were great, but every hit after was burned. I rewicked it, thinking I just used too much cotton. That time no hits didn't tasted burnt.
Is there a trick to wicking the Ammit, or is the wire too thick. The wraps are touching lightly. That couls be a potential problem, but it heats up correctly.
Any thoughts?

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is your wick touching the bottom of the deck? How tight is the cotton in your coil?

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I never get a dry hit with either of mine. I want the cotton to be fairly tight in the coil. I cut the cotton at the juice holes and then rake them out before placing them in the wick chamber. I want the wick to just cover the holes without touching the bottom of the deck. You should get excellent wicking that way and no dry hits.

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My cotton is a little loose in the coil. I can easily pull it back and forth, but it does touch the whole coil with no gaps. As for the holes, I have the cotton raked out, and just barely touching the deck. I also cut the cotton to a dull point, to clean up any excess material on the sides.

I rewicked again just a few minutes, ago, and still terrible dry hits. I'm starting to wonder if the cotton is just dusty, making it taste bad. But it's been sealed up in a ziplock bag, and no air or dust has gotten in.

wheelie

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My wicks are fairly tight. I put my wicks lightly touching the juice well. Then I juice the wick. When done I take a paper clip with a little L shape at the end and stick it in the hole from the bottom to push the wick up to make sure juice hole is open. Then screw the top on and refill tank. Works well for me and no dry hits. CHEERS!

VU Sponsors