Njord RDA by Morten Oen

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Reviewers say they produce unbiased reviews but they are human and it’s natural to be fallible when you have a cob on ...just state up front “I have a hard on for this guy, so my review is extra salty with a pinch of salt for good measure”

or just don’t review it at all if they can’t look past the personal beefs :giggle:

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It would be nice if reviewers would stop turning reviews into an egocentric dick measuring contest. Some are rather humble but others ... not so much. Just because we're entitled our freedom of speech doesn't mean we have to use it. Just accept that sometimes we humans see things differently.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I didnt watch DJ's review but I did watch the sorry video... he should have called it 'Sorry... Not Sorry!!!' IMO

uansari1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
It would be nice if reviewers would stop turning reviews into an egocentric dick measuring contest. Some are rather humble but others ... not so much. Just because we're entitled our freedom of speech doesn't mean we have to use it. Just accept that sometimes we humans see things differently.

Exactly. The only reviewers who I watch now are Vic from Scotland and Jai Haze (who really does keep it real). Other than that, I’ll get opinions from people on this forum.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Exactly. The only reviewers who I watch now are Vic from Scotland and Jai Haze (who really does keep it real). Other than that, I’ll get opinions from people on this forum.
This forum is the best place for honest reviews as well as real feed back from people that have bought vape gear.

I only watch reviews on products that interest me regardless of who does the review. I get email alerts from multiple reviewers and if the product does not interest me I just delete the alert and not bother watching the video.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Reviewers say they produce unbiased reviews but they are human and it’s natural to be fallible when you have a cob on ...just state up front “I have a hard on for this guy, so my review is extra salty with a pinch of salt for good measure”

or just don’t review it at all if they can’t look past the personal beefs :giggle:

I think the main thing with DJLSB and this review is that Oen makes it seem like he knows everything. He’s always making comments on other reviewers videos saying their wrong or w.e... He makes his airflow videos and says what wrong with the RDA and what they should have done etc... but then goes and makes a shitty RDA with entirely too much airflow, no way to control it, and apparently no flavor. I understand the guy likes a cold vape but seriously, that’s a lot of airflow for a single coil that’s stationed in the middle of a 24mm RDA... what was he honestly expecting to happen??

I’m subscribed to Oen... I watch his videos for a while now... I have no issues with him what so ever so please whoever reads this don’t think I’m taking shots at the guy.... I’m just saying it how I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I think the main thing with DJLSB and this review is that Oen makes it seem like he knows everything. He’s always making comments on other reviewers videos saying their wrong or w.e... He makes his airflow videos and says what wrong with the RDA and what they should have done etc... but then goes and makes a shitty RDA with entirely too much airflow, no way to control it, and apparently no flavor. I understand the guy likes a cold vape but seriously, that’s a lot of airflow for a single coil that’s stationed in the middle of a 24mm RDA... what was he honestly expecting to happen??

I’m subscribed to Oen... I watch his videos for a while now... I have no issues with him what so ever so please whoever reads this don’t think I’m taking shots at the guy.... I’m just saying it how I see it.

Did you watch the “im sort of sorry” vid end of page one mate?

Don’t get me wrong I don’t care DJ went off on one was just saying his review was unnecessarily biased that’s all :cheers: he was making a right meal of everything even mounting coils all of a sudden was such a difficult task

Last edited:

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Did you watch the “im sort of sorry” vid end of page one mate?

Don’t get me wrong I don’t care DJ went off on one was just saying his review was unnecessarily biased that’s all :cheers: he was making a right meal of everything even mounting coils all of a sudden was such a difficult task
But but but twisting the leads prior to installing the coil is a very challenging and daunting task! Even moreso than pulling Excalibur from a rock!!!:teehee:

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Frankly, I watched Oen's video's and learned a little about wicking, but In Other News - there are a ton of Scale Effects happening inside the atty - or over R/C aircraft - surfaces.

I'd be more impressed with a few bore-cameras and even some clear RDA shells for his examples. And not using a cardboard tube - use a proper coil. I am also quite sure that the wick itself will change things enough to make folks cry.

Also uninvolved, (and I've grumbled about this for years): there was no vacuum gauge involved. All of these R{D,DT,T}A tests would be vastly improved if we could see logged, recorded pressure values. (Admit it, the terms MTL, RTL, DTL are still hugely vage).

I'll give him points for trying, and video-recording info for anyone else to use.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Frankly, I watched Oen's video's and learned a little about wicking, but In Other News - there are a ton of Scale Effects happening inside the atty - or over R/C aircraft - surfaces.

I'd be more impressed with a few bore-cameras and even some clear RDA shells for his examples. And not using a cardboard tube - use a proper coil. I am also quite sure that the wick itself will change things enough to make folks cry.

Also uninvolved, (and I've grumbled about this for years): there was no vacuum gauge involved. All of these R{D,DT,T}A tests would be vastly improved if we could see logged, recorded pressure values. (Admit it, the terms MTL, RTL, DTL are still hugely vage).

I'll give him points for trying, and video-recording info for anyone else to use.

Agree Poppa well said, ive tried a few of the things hes said (some work some dont), still its good hes had a crack at it. In the long run it might invoke others to do it as well and perhaps improve techiques used.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The vapor chronicles had very nice things to say about Oen in his review but said the same thing... no flavor from the Njord. I think it's a bit of karma coming back to Oen for his comments he's made in the past about other reviewers. Back to the drawing board.

Don't waste your money on this RDA. Oen is a con, he pretends to know everything about airflow but each and every one of his airflow tests are flawed (by pushing air through the AFC instead of sucking it through). Anyone with basics of aerodynamics could tell you that.

DJ was perhaps harsh, but he always says he holds reviewers to higher standards, especially self proclaimed masters of airflow... and then failing so badly.
Here are a few others that come to the same conclusion, don't think it's a conspiracy. Some of these guys actually like/respect Morten Oen.

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't waste your money on this RDA. Oen is a con, he pretends to know everything about airflow but each and every one of his airflow tests are flawed (by pushing air through the AFC instead of sucking it through). Anyone with basics of aerodynamics could tell you that.

DJ was perhaps harsh, but he always says he holds reviewers to higher standards, especially self proclaimed masters of airflow... and then failing so badly.
Here are a few others that come to the same conclusion, don't think it's a conspiracy. Some of these guys actually like/respect Morten Oen.

Any 'real' test would also need heated coils and vapor - as well as the obvious pulling not pushing of the air - all kinds of other dynamics are going to come into play when there is actual vapor atomising going on in there. Just look at the difference between cold coils vs a firing atomiser with vapor coming off the coils, lots of difference. His test method is so flawed it makes the tests useless but....
exPkA8GSF6-4.png

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Any 'real' test would also need heated coils and vapor - as well as the obvious pulling not pushing of the air - all kinds of other dynamics are going to come into play when there is actual vapor atomising going on in there. Just look at the difference between cold coils vs a firing atomiser with vapor coming off the coils, lots of difference. His test method is so flawed it makes the tests useless but....
exPkA8GSF6-4.png

:giggle:

How would you approach it turtles if you were to set up a test chamber?

Maybe I’m wrong but I though he set up a vacuum to suck the smoke stream out rather than push it through?

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think Oen genuinely believes in what he's doing but doesn't understand airflow as much as he presents in his videos. There's a huge difference between sucking air and pushing air. Understanding airflow in an atomizer isn't rocket science. The small vacuum we create during inhalation means the air will make a b-line from where it enters to where it exits. Placing the coil between those two is elementary dear Watson. Preferably closer to the entrance to keep the incoming air directed on the coil for cooling and to mix with the vapor coming off the coil.

In order for Oen to pull off the swirling effect that he's trying to create in the chamber... he needs compressed air being pushed from the outside of the rda through the airflow holes/slots and directed to flow around the inner diameter of the chamber to create the swirling effect in the chamber.

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
:giggle:

How would you approach it turtles if you were to set up a test chamber?

Maybe I’m wrong but I though he set up a vacuum to suck the smoke stream out rather than push it through?
Don't know how you could set it up mainly because it will end up full of vapor and you will not be able to see wtf is happening :D Glass top RDA would be start ...but I tried that once, which is how I know you can't see anything :)

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I think Oen genuinely believes in what he's doing but doesn't understand airflow as much as he presents in his videos. There's a huge difference between sucking air and pushing air. Understanding airflow in an atomizer isn't rocket science. The small vacuum we create during inhalation means the air will make a b-line from where it enters to where it exits. Placing the coil between those two is elementary dear Watson. Preferably closer to the entrance to keep the incoming air directed on the coil for cooling and to mix with the vapor coming off the coil.

In order for Oen to pull off the swirling effect that he's trying to create in the chamber... he needs compressed air being pushed from the outside of the rda through the airflow holes/slots and directed to flow around the inner diameter of the chamber to create the swirling effect in the chamber.

What about trying to plonk in 3 vertical coils near each of the openings instead of just the middle?

Could the deck take that build?

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What about trying to plonk in 3 vertical coils near each of the openings instead of just the middle?

It would certainly get the source of vapor closer to the airflow. I think it can be done but not so sure it should be done. The coils sitting on either side of the spare juice well for the top of the cotton to wick from would have some long leads to reach the negative and positive posts. Meanwhile the coil inbetween the posts would have short leads. It's probably safe to assume it would be impossible to get the coils to glow evenly given the varying lead lengths.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Saw this posted on reddit from the man himself
4BEF4FAC-35D5-4916-9C16-2AA9F10AFF24.jpeg

I’ve got the VLS and happen to prefer it more so than the wasp ...it’s really easy to wick and mount verticals and I find flavour to great as well, don’t know what he’s going on about

I tried his guides on wicking and mounting coils on the deathtraps and didn’t find them to help at all

And what is he going on about the "higher flavor notes" ?
I believe that will be his way to defend his design, like if he is the only person in the world who'll be able to distinguish those "higher flavor notes". Everybody else will just taste nothing and have a cold vape. The more he's being defensive and not taking any criticism, the worse it's going to get, the more people will be disappointed when they finally buy his product and see for themselves. Nobody will take him seriously anymore... Why does he continue like this instead of owning up to a mistake?
I'm completely flabbergasted. It's like he knows he's going to fall and he just keeps on climbing and climbing, knowing very well he's gonna get hurt so much worse.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Saw this posted on reddit from the man himself
View attachment 109496

I’ve got the VLS and happen to prefer it more so than the wasp ...it’s really easy to wick and mount verticals and I find flavour to great as well, don’t know what he’s going on about

I tried his guides on wicking and mounting coils on the deathtraps and didn’t find them to help at all
Oh wow. Talk about misdirection bringing up the VLS. I've watched plenty of videos on the VLS and Oen seems to be the only one with problems.
Wonder why Oen hasn't commented on the 502 rda? An rda that's known to he a pain in the ass to set up.
I wonder if Haze likes the tickling sensation on his balls from Oen's beard. :rolleyes:

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That "turbulence" term is being bandied-about way, way too much.

And, I feel sorry for the guy - he might as well be using windtunnel footage from the SR71, the shuttle, and the Bismarck.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

It would certainly get the source of vapor closer to the airflow. I think it can be done but not so sure it should be done. The coils sitting on either side of the spare juice well for the top of the cotton to wick from would have some long leads to reach the negative and positive posts. Meanwhile the coil inbetween the posts would have short leads. It's probably safe to assume it would be impossible to get the coils to glow evenly given the varying lead lengths.

His deck couldn't IMO but the MCM Nuclear can:

Someone in Jai Haze’s Facebook group put 3 coils into the Njord. Then Oen said he tried putting in 2 after the guy did. Both said it increased flavor a little bit but then Oen said that he doesn’t trust his taste buds anymore

Roadtrip635

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And what is he going on about the "higher flavor notes" ?
I believe that will be his way to defend his design, like if he is the only person in the world who'll be able to distinguish those "higher flavor notes". Everybody else will just taste nothing and have a cold vape. The more he's being defensive and not taking any criticism, the worse it's going to get, the more people will be disappointed when they finally buy his product and see for themselves. Nobody will take him seriously anymore... Why does he continue like this instead of owning up to a mistake?
I'm completely flabbergasted. It's like he knows he's going to fall and he just keeps on climbing and climbing, knowing very well he's gonna get hurt so much worse.

Maybe those "high flavor notes" are the kind that only dogs can taste..... or something like that. :crazy:

Personally I'm fond of "angry" flavors, they're not like those wuss "kind" flavors. :mad:

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
well, at least Jai didn't spend 50% of the show ranting or playing DJ or whatever

My take-away there was simple: it's no better than common/average - or less.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Haze is the first reviewer to actually lay out the whole situation. Well done Jai. Atom vapes deserves alot of the criticism as well. More than Oen really. Now, after bad reviews come out, Atom vapes tells reviewers about directional airflow? That's some serious back peddling right there.

I feel for Oen to be honest. This must feel like a nightmare for him.

Roadtrip635

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It sounded like he tried his hardest to defend Oen as best he could without looking like a homer. The finish and build quality looked bad, but that design didn't look good either. Best guess without knowing the whole story is, it's not just one side's fault. Both sides failed, poor design and poor quality is causing the reception. It doesn't matter if it was Oen's fault or not, the point is, is it a good RDA and would you recommend people actually paying money for it.

It was funny, when he handed it over to the first guy and asks is it flavorless? The guy gives the so-so sign and goes "meh", it's not completely flavorless. I'm sure there was a hint of flavor in there as much as he was juicing that coil. The kid did what he could without calling him out on how bad it was.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Haze is the first reviewer to actually lay out the whole situation. Well done Jai. Atom vapes deserves alot of the criticism as well. More than Oen really. Now, after bad reviews come out, Atom vapes tells reviewers about directional airflow? That's some serious back peddling right there.

I feel for Oen to be honest. This must feel like a nightmare for him.

It’s a shame, I liked the look of trying something different to begin with ...like a lot i was expecting some sort airflow magic going on but it’s not to be according to all these vids

Same as you feel sorry for the guy a little bit ...having a flop like this can’t be a nice experience. I know some will say this is egg in his face and I suppose that’s right as well.

Soldier on I guess go back to the drawing board ....thing is it’s gonna make his next one harder to sell everyone will be referring back to this flop all the time

It would be a whole lot different if Oen admitted this RDA was flawed and give shit to Atom for ruining his design. Instead he's giving reviewers shit and defending a bad design/production.
The result is HE is losing face afterwards.
He's blowing up the drama and now I'm really starting to enjoy it :p His mistake for going in against the people who actually waped it instead of the ones screwing up.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It’s a shame, I liked the look of trying something different to begin with ...like a lot i was expecting some sort airflow magic going on but it’s not to be according to all these vids

Same as you feel sorry for the guy a little bit ...having a flop like this can’t be a nice experience. I know some will say this is egg in his face and I suppose that’s right as well.

Soldier on I guess go back to the drawing board ....thing is it’s gonna make his next one harder to sell everyone will be referring back to this flop all the time
I do feel for Oen, I really do but only so much. This " high notes from a cool/cold vape" nonsense is a piss poor excuse for the lack of flavor. If he would just admit the design needs to be changed I would have alot more respect for the man. Instead he comes off as trying to change the way people vape, his way. I like a cool to warm vape but I like flavor too and accept the fact that it takes some heat to get the flavors to really come out. Some flavors require low heat and some more heat.

Another thing is his critical words about Heathen, Mike Vapes and reviewers as a whole. Once again karma at work here. Oen's debut rda is a flop at the reviewer stage and one of the reviewers he criticized, Mike Vapes, just came out with his third rda that is getting rave reviews from everyone that touches it and is selling like crazy. Well Oen, it appears Mike Vapes understands airflow as well seeing as how he designed the Recurve. And Mike didn't need sharpies, paper, boxes and a vacuum cleaner to understand how airflow works. :D

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I do feel for Oen, I really do but only so much. This " high notes from a cool/cold vape" nonsense is a piss poor excuse for the lack of flavor. If he would just admit the design needs to be changed I would have alot more respect for the man. Instead he comes off as trying to change the way people vape, his way. I like a cool to warm vape but I like flavor too and accept the fact that it takes some heat to get the flavors to really come out. Some flavors require low heat and some more heat.

Another thing is his critical words about Heathen, Mike Vapes and reviewers as a whole. Once again karma at work here. Oen's debut rda is a flop at the reviewer stage and one of the reviewers he criticized, Mike Vapes, just came out with his third rda that is getting rave reviews from everyone that touches it and is selling like crazy. Well Oen, it appears Mike Vapes understands airflow as well seeing as how he designed the Recurve. And Mike didn't need sharpies, paper, boxes and a vacuum cleaner to understand how airflow works. :D

I feel the idea behind the rda is pretty solid but he went about it all wrong. If he dropped it to a 22mm with more of a condensed chamber, I believe the airflow and flavor would be on point. I’m not saying this as fact, just as what I’ve observed of it. Also if he got rid of that ridiculous cotton pocket thing, it’s stupid. Drop the pocket, add a squonk pin..... OR..... leave the pocket and have the squonk pin squonk into the pocket some how... that would be dope.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I feel the idea behind the rda is pretty solid but he went about it all wrong. If he dropped it to a 22mm with more of a condensed chamber, I believe the airflow and flavor would be on point. I’m not saying this as fact, just as what I’ve observed of it. Also if he got rid of that ridiculous cotton pocket thing, it’s stupid. Drop the pocket, add a squonk pin..... OR..... leave the pocket and have the squonk pin squonk into the pocket some how... that would be dope.

I like the idea of condensing everything down a bit. It's a concept that just works. Look at some of the best known flavor rdas out there... the recurve, the nudge, wasp nano, the VLS, the ghoul, the goon etc. They all have a condensed chamber. It makes sense that a condensed chamber will produce a more warm dense flavorful vape while an airy chamber will produce a cool airy less flavorful vape.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I like the idea of condensing everything down a bit. It's a concept that just works. Look at some of the best known flavor rdas out there... the recurve, the nudge, wasp nano, the VLS, the ghoul, the goon etc. They all have a condensed chamber. It makes sense that a condensed chamber will produce a more warm dense flavorful vape while an airy chamber will produce a cool airy less flavorful vape.

Yeap... a single VERTICAL coil dripper with that much airflow has absolutely no business being 24mm. 22mm, thick cap 18ish MM deck. That would be ideal IMO....

Roadtrip635

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Exactly. He just seems to be going at the design from the complete opposite direction that what seems logical. If you like a cool vape, then use lower wattages from the get go, or does that make too much sense? Adding more air cools the vapor, but also reduces the ratio of vapor to air, thus losing flavor. To get that flavor back to a proper ratio, then you have to increase the wattage to increase vapor production. So was he trying to get huge cool clouds? It's like he's trying to rewrite the law of physics.

I like to drink whiskey slightly cool so I only add a couple of cubes to the glass, if I put too many cubes in then I dilute the flavor of the whiskey. It's like instead of starting with the whiskey and adding ice to get the proper ratio, he's starting with a bucket of ice and then adding the whiskey until he gets that proper ratio of cool to taste. That's a losing proposition and you just waste a lot of whiskey.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Exactly. He just seems to be going at the design from the complete opposite direction that what seems logical. If you like a cool vape, then use lower wattages from the get go, or does that make too much sense? Adding more air cools the vapor, but also reduces the ratio of vapor to air, thus losing flavor. To get that flavor back to a proper ratio, then you have to increase the wattage to increase vapor production. So was he trying to get huge cool clouds? It's like he's trying to rewrite the law of physics.

I like to drink whiskey slightly cool so I only add a couple of cubes to the glass, if I put too many cubes in then I dilute the flavor of the whiskey. It's like instead of starting with the whiskey and adding ice to get the proper ratio, he's starting with a bucket of ice and then adding the whiskey until he gets that proper ratio of cool to taste. That's a losing proposition and you just waste a lot of whiskey.
Couldn't agree more dude. Everything you say about flavor, wattage and airflow is spot on IMHO. I really have nothing to add. You covered it all right there. :cheers:

Love the whiskey analogy too, well done!

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think I read one of his replies on YT, think it was TVC and he said he was working with Cthulhu on another RDA. If that's right, I wonder what they're thinking right about now? It will be released as the RDA - Rebuildable Drama Atomizer o_O
Supposedly it is a squonkable 30mm... good luck finding a mod to use it on.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
/sigh
The Squeeze needs a 30mm rsa like a fish needs a bicycle.

No, I think Jai simply went the wrong direction: once he states "It is not tasteless, Oen, but it's a horrible release." He should simply rip the livin' dogsnot out of Atom for their absolutely crappy hw. (If his friend Oen is responsible, then only he knows - if Atom is responsible, Oen gets the full story of their fail).

I do agree that the atty is far, far too big for a single coil. I've a clone 502 coming that may or may not work; may or may not be fixable - but, I spent under $10 to find out. I spent maybe a buck more on an Authentic Wasp Nano. (Are y'all seeing a pattern here?)

BTW, I can envision "blades", but it would be about 3 times more complicated mechanically - think of 3 vertical airfoils with the same hingepoints on a ring at the top you can turn. Doable, but does it matter? Does it overcomplicate?

VU Sponsors