Become a Patron!

Nickel wire for TC question (edited)

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just got a sigelei with TC and all I've ever used was kanthal. I always build with 26, 24, and 22 gauge.

What gauges of nichrome should I look into ordering

I usually build around .25 ohm and go more for flavor if that helps any

Thanks
Mreeveshp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use 24g Nichrome in most my RDA's...8 wraps on a 3mm bit gives me about .24 ohms with a dual coil build...at 75-80w it blows good clouds on the Dark Horse seen here..
3979ea18249ebf5a42acac1747fcc6c0.jpg

I get a extra wrap than I do with Kanthel and still maintain my targeted .22-.25 build.. Ramp up time is a little faster too
Hope this helped..

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just found out nichrome doesn't work with TC so I need to know what nickel wires to get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As already said Ni200 is what you want. You have to use thinner wire than you're use to (larger gauge number), in order to get enough resistance so the mod will fire the coil(s).

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I ordered a couple rolls of 32 gauge but plugging into steam engine if I wanted to build higher than .25 ohm like .4 ohm it's a crazy amount of wraps and I can't find any ni200 that's thinner than 32 gauge on Amazon are there any websites that sell 34,36 and maybe 38

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IMO It's hard to build with anything over 28-30ga Ni200. It's very malleable (extremely soft). I use 28ga on dual coil builds and 26ga on single coil builds. Don't think of it like Kanthal. The resistance is going to be low but since your using it in TC the temperature won't run away on you.

Edit Any thinner Ni200 wire (larger gauge) and you are going to have a hell of a time trying to get your coil to hold its shape not to mention breaking off the legs when you try to tighten the screws

Last edited:

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm just seeing that 30 gauge build at .2 ohms is like 19 wraps and 32 gauge is 12 wraps. I'm worried that 19 wraps would be such big coils but I guess I'm not taking into account that it will be much thinner than 24 gauge which is what I normally use.

I ordered 2 rolls of 32 gauge and I'm going to try that out but I might go ahead and order a roll or 2 of 28 and 30 gauge

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You can always make twisted 32 Gauge Ni200 and use it in your atty.

Emberwilde

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
we are talking TC builds with ni200, you are aiming far far to high.. my target range is between 0.065 ohms and 0.15 ohms
now I have some 32g and I can tell you from experience it is a total bear to work with; I can tell you, and show you, that dual coil 32g twisted pair at 2mm ID is only 6 wraps to hit 0.065 ohms

Last edited:

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I shoot for .07 ohms on my dual coil builds on the Billow V2. It's about as much as I can fit in there. As I mentioned earlier, anything over 28ga Ni200 is a huge PITA to work with.

Cheers,
Steve

OE Burntpiston

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Not sure about these super thin 30+ gauges. I don't have an atty but I build 28g Ni200 virtical coils in my triton with no problems. Usally 12 to 13 wraps on 3mm screw driver gets me .13 to .16 ohms according to my evic vt.

VU Sponsors