Become a Patron!

Ni200 building? how big can you go?

Catbug1337

Member For 1 Year
Hi all,

So I've got a spool of NI200 26awg Hard that I have built with before for simple dual coil builds and it was fine I suppose but I never perfected it... would it be reasonable to build on the triple RTA with Ni200?

I really want to perfect a TC build and I love the triple RTA is all... I can always go back to SS and use TC with that but I want to try out NI200.

I've kinda totally forgotten the rules with Ni200... I know it's always TC and the coils need to be spaced but is there a rule on ohms?

It's gonna be used on a regulated mod (VooPoo Drag) obviously

Cheers in advance!

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hi all,

So I've got a spool of NI200 26awg Hard that I have built with before for simple dual coil builds and it was fine I suppose but I never perfected it... would it be reasonable to build on the triple RTA with Ni200?

I really want to perfect a TC build and I love the triple RTA is all... I can always go back to SS and use TC with that but I want to try out NI200.

I've kinda totally forgotten the rules with Ni200... I know it's always TC and the coils need to be spaced but is there a rule on ohms?

It's gonna be used on a regulated mod (VooPoo Drag) obviously

Cheers in advance!

I dunno if 26awg nickel triple coils are gonna swing, man...
16 wraps each just to reach 0.05 ohms

I've also read that Hard Ni200 has an even lower resistance than not-hard

Screenshot_20180408-230139.png
Screenshot_20180408-230147.png

Catbug1337

Member For 1 Year
Ah okay, so I do need to still play by ohms law. I think my mod can fire down to 0.05 but I'm not building that low! I'll just stick to SS for my triple!

Thanks a lot.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes you need to pay attention to WATTS Laws. But thats NOT because of wire type choice. That is because of your batteries and the amperage you draw.. Type of wire SS Ni22 or kanthal doesn't matter here. OHMs laws applies more to UNREGULATED Vaping. WATTs Law is what a regulated vaper should pay more heed too.

Catbug1337

Member For 1 Year
Yes you need to pay attention to WATTS Laws. But thats NOT because of wire type choice. That is because of your batteries and the amperage you draw.. Type of wire SS Ni22 or kanthal doesn't matter here. OHMs laws applies more to UNREGULATED Vaping. WATTs Law is what a regulated vaper should pay more heed too.

I do both unregulated and regulated builds and I know what I'm doing with other metals, for a moment there I just brain farted and convinced myself that Ni200 isn't the same because it's TC only... My bad! haha

I'm now trying to figure out a good triple coil ss316l 26ga build that has a fast ramp up time... I'm finding that the triple coil is lengthening my ramp up time even with increased watts, but I get the feeling that may just be something I need to get over... went and burnt my cotton with a kanthal clapton build because it wouldn't reach the temps i'm used to fast enough.

Spaced SS316l 3mm 10 wraps is nearly hitting the spot but it's not quite immediate hot vapour that I'm used to in dual coil builds... bigger/smaller gauge? more or less wraps?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I do both unregulated and regulated builds and I know what I'm doing with other metals, for a moment there I just brain farted and convinced myself that Ni200 isn't the same because it's TC only... My bad! haha

I'm now trying to figure out a good triple coil ss316l 26ga build that has a fast ramp up time... I'm finding that the triple coil is lengthening my ramp up time even with increased watts, but I get the feeling that may just be something I need to get over... went and burnt my cotton with a kanthal clapton build because it wouldn't reach the temps i'm used to fast enough.

Spaced SS316l 3mm 10 wraps is nearly hitting the spot but it's not quite immediate hot vapour that I'm used to in dual coil builds... bigger/smaller gauge? more or less wraps?

Are you using a regulated mod for this too? Try a parallel build, with two strands of the 316 26awg and 5 wraps each - you'll still have 10 wraps total each coil, but 0.11 ohms and super fast ramp

Catbug1337

Member For 1 Year
Are you using a regulated mod for this too? Try a parallel build, with two strands of the 316 26awg and 5 wraps each - you'll still have 10 wraps total each coil, but 0.11 ohms and super fast ramp

Thanks a lot! I'll give that a build a go on my VooPoo Drag :) I have probably built that before tbh but I've been falling down the coil building rabbit hole pretty hard recently and not been building the best coils for flavour :/

I'm also trying to find a good Unregulated build too, I'm using some 6 wrap 24ga kanthal and I'm actually kinda impressed by its performance! It Ohmed out around 0.3ohms on both my pulse squonk rda and my wotofo Freakshow, I tried 26ga 6 wraps and it ohmed out at 0.5 and was a bit cool and slow to ramp up... The ohms also do not match up at all with steam engine which is a bit strange... I reckon 0.25 might be my sweet spot but I'm scared of going that low on a single 18650 mod with LG HG2's and Samsung 25r's. would you build that low? I might substitute Kanthal for SS and try them. (I've now got 24,26,28,32awg ss316l XD)

I've got a twisted coil builder too but I need a break from tinkering for a while!

Sorry to go on! Like I said, I'm falling down the coil building rabbit hole hard at the moment haha.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I think my minimum to build for unregulated tubes was 0.22 (don't ask me why, that was just my number) and I did enjoy it! That was with kanthal, SS hadn't been tested out much yet

I Could build lower than that, but I don't think going below that is worth it - even at 0.2 ohms, the voltage drop on a good battery and mech will be all the way down to 3.7 volts :0 and so battery life will be terrible, and it's an uphill battle trying to go lower to combat the bad voltage drop

For two batteries I would go down to 0.13, maybe lower but I've never built a coil lower that I wanted to vape lol

Catbug1337

Member For 1 Year
I think my minimum to build for unregulated tubes was 0.22 (don't ask me why, that was just my number) and I did enjoy it! That was with kanthal, SS hadn't been tested out much yet

I Could build lower than that, but I don't think going below that is worth it - even at 0.2 ohms, the voltage drop on a good battery and mech will be all the way down to 3.7 volts :0 and so battery life will be terrible, and it's an uphill battle trying to go lower to combat the bad voltage drop

For two batteries I would go down to 0.13, maybe lower but I've never built a coil lower that I wanted to vape lol

Thanks for the confidence boost! I might try it but yeah... battery life is gonna be a killer for me on these single 18650's I'd be more than happy to build a 0.5 dual coil or even higher! but every time I've tried it just doesn't get hot enough! Am I getting something wrong?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks for the confidence boost! I might try it but yeah... battery life is gonna be a killer for me on these single 18650's I'd be more than happy to build a 0.5 dual coil or even higher! but every time I've tried it just doesn't get hot enough! Am I getting something wrong?

I don't think so - maybe you need a smaller atomizer with a tighter airflow, that's how to make builds like that be flavorful - long flavorful puffs

Catbug1337

Member For 1 Year
I don't think so - maybe you need a smaller atomizer with a tighter airflow, that's how to make builds like that be flavorful - long flavorful puffs

Thanks again! I'll work on the unregulated front for a while :p

I said I wouldn't but I've just built a twisted 316l 26g 6 wraps 3mm for my regulated mod and it's bloody amazing! coming out at 0.15ohms... I'll tinker with unregulated builds tomorrow. I really want to get some nice 0.5+ builds to get my battery life up!

Really appreciate all the advice, It's one hell of a minefield to find info on this stuff without just doing it yourself. So many facts are just opinions!

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
.31 is my magic number for run time. I try to get all of my builds somewhere around here unless Im trying to create atmospheric clouds, then down to .19-.25. I like a cooler vape though so tend to build on the conservative side, even at the cost of a slightly slower ramp.

Try a parallel with both SS and Ni. You get the fast ramp and fast cool of Ni and the marginally slower warmer SS. It will also add some resistance to the build without making it take forever to heat up.

VU Sponsors