Become a Patron!

Newbie vaper, aegis solo faint tastes/ e juices giving chemical like taste?

Hey all I apologize first off I just recently got into vaping trying to get my smoking habit and I really do like it so far I just feel I'm not getting the experience I should. I've had this aegis solo for about a month now and every e juice I buy seems to give very little taste and also somewhat of a chemical taste in my throat?. I've tried a few (Sad Boy Cookie Custard, Twist Pink No.1, Ripe Peachy Mango Pineapple, Twist Space No1 and Humble V.T.R.) What could be going wrong? Could it be the device itself or the juices I'm buying? I've tried fresh new coils and let them sit in the tank for a while but nothing. Thanks for any feedback and hope everyone had a great holiday season.

Edit: Using geekvape x2 coils and cerberus tank.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
*dons his mechanics overalls, steps in looking things over* "Scalpel, retraction, ... sponge, okay get the little device that goes ping."

In the course of helping it's helpful to know more about the situation. That noted a short battery of questions.

What is the juice ratio you're using?

For example is it 70% PG, 50/50, 80% VG?

This is important because some find PG does "throw off" a "chemical" taste for them. The problem just may be swapping up your juice ratio to use more VG.

Did you wash or rinse out your gear before first using it, or use it first?

Sometimes if we use gear right away "out of the box" we can forget that machining may use oil to help the process. You might be getting an "after taste" of that. May suit to take your gear down, rinse everything out. Rebuild it back to usable, and start again from there.

Also cleaning with 80 proof vodka, or 70% rubbing alchol and rinsing gear off might be needed. The alcohol helps draw chemicals out of the metal. You don't want to vape alcohol other than the PG/VG we use though. Might catch your lungs alight. :(

Barring these simple solutions you might be looking at adjusting wattage on your mod, adjusting airflow. Apologies if it seems a bit hit and miss, but honestly vaping is just like that. *chuckles* We're all amoeba with it, try, try again .. ah it works. :)

By the by, apology not accepted. None required. :)

Last edited:
*dons his mechanics overalls, steps in looking things over* "Scalpel, retraction, ... sponge, okay get the little device that goes ping."

In the course of helping it's helpful to know more about the situation. That noted a short battery of questions.

What is the juice ratio you're using?

For example is it 70% PG, 50/50, 80% VG?

This is important because some find PG does "throw off" a "chemical" taste for them. The problem just may be swapping up your juice ratio to use more VG.

Did you wash or rinse out your gear before first using it, or use it first?

Sometimes if we use gear right away "out of the box" we can forget that machining may use oil to help the process. You might be getting an "after taste" of that. May suit to take your gear down, rinse everything out. Rebuild it back to usable, and start again from there.

Also cleaning with 80 proof vodka, or 70% rubbing alchol and rinsing gear off might be needed. The alcohol helps draw chemicals out of the metal. You don't want to vape alcohol other than the PG/VG we use though. Might catch your lungs alight. :(

Barring these simple solutions you might be looking at adjusting wattage on your mod, adjusting airflow. Apologies if it seems a bit hit and miss, but honestly vaping is just like that. *chuckles* We're all amoeba with it, try, try again .. ah it works. :)

By the by, apology not accepted. None required. :)
Hey there thanks for responding back sorry I didn't include with my post I'm using 80VG/20PG and 70VG/30PG but all juices in the past were 70VG/30PG only first time trying a new VG/PG ratio (I didn't look at the bottom of the site post honestly didn't even know till I looked into the flavor lol).

I have washed off the hardware with warm water and let it dry for about 5 minutes using a cloth I haven't tried the alcohol method though I'll be sure to give that a go and report back with anything. I have been messing with my wattage a bit my coil says it likes between 50-60W so I usually keep it on 55 or the max 60 closing the airflow a bit just makes the flavor more harsh for me so I just keep the airflow open yeah I think it's just the juices I'm using maybe they're just bad quality and cheap I doubt the kit itself is faulty it came brand new in box.

Also I appreciate you being nice I know there's been an influx of new vaper posts so I know these can get really tiring LOL big ups :)

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Hey all I apologize first off I just recently got into vaping trying to get my smoking habit and I really do like it
Hi and welcome to the forum-
I remember when I 1st started vaping I couldn't taste any flavor except peppermint and menthol- I think it took months to get my taste buds back after what cigarettes did to kill them off.
Drink lots of water, it helps.
Shake up your juices really well too- I remember leaving the caps off overnight to help some liquids get rid of chemical tastes and perfumey too. Some liquids are just bad tasting anyways. Takes time to find favorites.
Not sure what your nic level is, but once I started to cut it down from 24- to 3nic I could taste my juice better- no peppery taste either. I still had no craving to go back to cigarettes.
Hang in there

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Using geekvape x2 coils and cerberus tank.
Maybe try different coils- that tank will be able to use compatible coils from other companies- maybe the high wattage you are vaping at is part of the problem.

Look for lower wattage rated coils- I think the Smok Baby Beast has a few- when I have time later I will look at the ratings and see what might be a better coil for your tank.- worth the try.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm using 80VG/20PG and 70VG/30PG but all juices in the past were 70VG/30PG only first time trying a new VG/PG ratio

Alright, on the flip side ... you already know. Try swapping that to more PG over the VG. It varies for all of us which we find works.

I like max VG myself but do at times use plain old 50/50 mix. I use 18mg/ml nicotine but always have, I'm a goof like that. :)

Cannot go lower, doesn't work for me. Yes, I at times get the pepper taste. About time to swap batteries when I do though.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I don't know the other liquids you named, but the Sad Boy liquids I've tried were great. I'm all but sure that your being so recently separated from cigarettes is a large part of the problem. Your taste buds are impaired!

Generally I crank airflow down just a bit and lower wattage just a bit to get more flavor, even if that puts the device a little under the coil recommendation. I might try your setup at 42 watts with airflow at about 2/3 open and see if that helps.

Experimentation is always required, even for those of us who've been vaping for years. Different flavors can require different levels of heat, so if you aren't getting the flavor you want, try moving watts and airflow a little at a time, either up or down (more watts, more airflow; fewer watts, less airflow). Fruits can generally stand higher heat, but custards/chocolates/bakeries often do better with a little less heat.

Good luck. I hope you stick with it, because after just a short time you'll feel so much better!

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Hey all I apologize first off I just recently got into vaping trying to get my smoking habit and I really do like it so far I just feel I'm not getting the experience I should. Using geekvape x2 coils and cerberus tank.
Since your a new vaper, just double checking that you are Direct to Lung vaping that tank and coil, and not Mouth to Lung.

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I don't know the other liquids you named, but the Sad Boy liquids I've tried were great. I'm all but sure that your being so recently separated from cigarettes is a large part of the problem. Your taste buds are impaired!

Generally I crank airflow down just a bit and lower wattage just a bit to get more flavor, even if that puts the device a little under the coil recommendation. I might try your setup at 42 watts with airflow at about 2/3 open and see if that helps.

Experimentation is always required, even for those of us who've been vaping for years. Different flavors can require different levels of heat, so if you aren't getting the flavor you want, try moving watts and airflow a little at a time, either up or down (more watts, more airflow; fewer watts, less airflow). Fruits can generally stand higher heat, but custards/chocolates/bakeries often do better with a little less heat.

Good luck. I hope you stick with it, because after just a short time you'll feel so much better!
Great advice, sometimes less is more..... if that does not work another tank might be the answer, i.e, something like a Freemax Maxluke might work for you

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Hey all I apologize first off I just recently got into vaping trying to get my smoking habit and I really do like it so far I just feel I'm not getting the experience I should. I've had this aegis solo for about a month now and every e juice I buy seems to give very little taste and also somewhat of a chemical taste in my throat?. I've tried a few (Sad Boy Cookie Custard, Twist Pink No.1, Ripe Peachy Mango Pineapple, Twist Space No1 and Humble V.T.R.) What could be going wrong? Could it be the device itself or the juices I'm buying? I've tried fresh new coils and let them sit in the tank for a while but nothing. Thanks for any feedback and hope everyone had a great holiday season.

Edit: Using geekvape x2 coils and cerberus tank.
hi buddy, water,water,and more water. ihad same problem when i first started, you should have a glass of water beside you when you vape at home. also ensure your battery is pretty well full up as that can imprve taste. here in australia it is $33.00 for 30 cancer sticks, i can make 100mls of juice for $4.00, so keep vaping and keep saving. oh and dont vape as you would puff on a smelly, as one puff of a vape is like 4 puffs of a stink bomb. so.....water.water..and a smile at your wallet. keep it going buddy. all of the ladies and guys on this site know more than i do, so listen to them..cheers

Hey everyone I'm sorry I didn't mean to ghost this thread been dealing with some family related issues recently so I do apologize for that. Since posting I've been working on dental care/drinking more water and I have to say it is nowhere near as foul/harsh since I posted I guess I'm getting way too dehydrated and it's making me lose flavor? I appreciate everyone's input I think in the future I'll get a FreeMax MaxLuke due to aj's recommendation I was also looking at the Hellbeast RDA Tank but I'm not sure if that would fit my kit (the hellbeast) again I appreciate all the insight god bless :)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
The Hellbeast RDA will fit your Aegis Solo, but it may not be the best choice. Just my personal opinion, but with a single-battery mod I would choose a single-coil RDA, or I'd get the Hellbeast and build it with only a single coil. That can be done, but it isn't what the RDA is designed for.

Dual coils generally require higher wattage, unless you build those two coils with very light wire, like 28AWG for example. You'll drain the single battery in that Solo very quickly running it at 50 watts or above. There's also a bit of a learning curve with building dual coils, if you're brand new to rebuildable atomizers. You may want to visit the New Builders thread here in the forum.

I haven't been shopping much since the vape mail ban went into effect, so I don't know which single-coil RDAs might even be available now. Maybe a Dead Rabbit SQ? That's an easy one to build and it gives a decent vape. Maybe someone else can give you more ideas on this.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
with a single-battery mod I would choose a single-coil RDA

Agree with this advice. I use single coil RDAs or those designed for dual coil as single coil. I run a lot of mechanical mods that use only a single cell 18650 or 20700 battery. If I use dual coils got to watch that batteries don't discharge too fast.

To that end 3F Vape has some decent but affordable single coil RDA listed. Fast Tech does as well. Even if you don't like using styled or cloned products, this can give you an idea of what to look for in single coil RDAs.

imho, not anything wrong with trying clones to maybe see if an authentic would be warranted. It's also okay with me to use clones if authentic are just so costly. then others feel otherwise. Relative to your own choice/s.

Also don't let someone tell you only dual coils give more flavor, clouds. That's bunk. You can do the same with single coil builds. You may need to experiment a little but once you get how to get it, well you got it. Ya got it? *chuckles* :p :D :)

Last edited:

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
The Hellbeast RDA will fit your Aegis Solo, but it may not be the best choice. Just my personal opinion, but with a single-battery mod I would choose a single-coil RDA, or I'd get the Hellbeast and build it with only a single coil. That can be done, but it isn't what the RDA is designed for.

Dual coils generally require higher wattage, unless you build those two coils with very light wire, like 28AWG for example. You'll drain the single battery in that Solo very quickly running it at 50 watts or above. There's also a bit of a learning curve with building dual coils, if you're brand new to rebuildable atomizers. You may want to visit the New Builders thread here in the forum.

I haven't been shopping much since the vape mail ban went into effect, so I don't know which single-coil RDAs might even be available now. Maybe a Dead Rabbit SQ? That's an easy one to build and it gives a decent vape. Maybe someone else can give you more ideas on this.
also get some coffee grounds on a saucer and sniff them every now and then, dont laugh..it works

VU Sponsors