Become a Patron!

Newbie Squonker (hopefully)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
View attachment 72813 View attachment 72812 View attachment 72811 Well got all my coil bits through my first ever coil build don't laugh :D:oops: went with 316L 26g twisted dual coil

First thoughts are this is a lot bloody harder than in looks in the vids took me 3 hours lmao and I'm still not all that happy with the spacing (but it's so springy!) managed to get it to come out at 0.21 happy with that! Heating fairly evenly meh

Haven't wicked it yet gonna do that next

One question though guys is it normal for the ohms to jump that much when heating the coil?
Nice....!

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
IMG_0852.JPG
Look great!

They are perfectly, evenly matched, right?

I don't know squat about the Geek Vape reader, but usually if your ohms are jumping and the coils aren't heating perfectly evenly, there is either a short or the screws aren't quite tight enough. On some atties, the screws tend to loosen up some when dry firing

Oh man that's not good think i shanked the head on the screw dammit one of the Allen key ones feels pretty tight though

Just wicked it up gonna juice it and vape back in a bit ;)

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
SS changes resistance with heat

TC chips read the change in resistance and guess the heat to control the temperature

SS/Ni/Ti should always use a cold reading to gauge resting resistance

so yep, sounds normal

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thanks dogman my mod is also reading 0.21 in wattage mode so that's good to know

Think I overwicked it not sucking up juice quick enough...I'll sort that tomorrow but vapes like a champ! Plenty of clouds even at 80w can't wait to break these in should be nice and warm about 100 -110 I reckon see how it compares with the normal T8-V8 coils I always use

Well thanks again for all your help guys thoroughly enjoyed building that...get a few more builds under my belt then gonna put the order in for the hadaly and Dripbox 160 woohoo!

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
One question though guys is it normal for the ohms to jump that much when heating the coil?
SS316L changes resistance as it heats up and cools back down. Perfectly normal with this wire. That is why when you run TC mode that you make sure the tank/coil are at room temp and not heated. Then the MOD can get a lock (or manually locked depending on MOD) at that resistance.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
IMG_0861.JPG Had a go with a fused clapton heck my second build why the hell not!

Used 28g x 2 core and 38g wrap both 316l considering i did it freehand just using the drill without any sort of swivel was pretty pleased with these! Ok spacing on the wrap isn't the best but man is it bloody tricky to see it 38g its so thin you go cross eyed after a minute or so

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Looks damn good KingPin! --- The drill on a good swivel will fix the spacing issue. And a trick that I found on a youtube channel is how you hold the spool and the wire. For me, I wrap the wire so that it is "under" the core. My room light will then reflect off of the wire at different angles and I can see the damn thing easier. I can then just hit full speed and not think about it once it has ran a few turns.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
EDIT: At least one regular squonker here had to take a file to their top cap because it wouldn't seat properly, had burs. Don't remember which clone they had

*raises his hand regarding using a file, emery boards on a top cap, not this exact or particular RDA though* Whistling NaRDA. :gaah: :cloud::cloud:"whistle" :wtf::cuss2: :crazy: :cloud::cloud: "whistle" :facepalm::cuss2::idea: .... "Hm, hm, hm :cloud: :cloud: (quieter) "whistle" *shrugs, sighs* ... it'll do t until it wears in."

& yes, that's probably the only complaint I have with a NaRDA.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
*raises his hand regarding using a file, emery boards on a top cap, not this exact or particular RDA though* Whistling NaRDA. :gaah: :cloud::cloud:"whistle" :wtf::cuss2: :crazy: :cloud::cloud: "whistle" :facepalm::cuss2::idea: .... "Hm, hm, hm :cloud: :cloud: (quieter) "whistle" *shrugs, sighs* ... it'll do t until it wears in."

& yes, that's probably the only complaint I have with a NaRDA.

That whistle in the NarDa BLOWS

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Looks damn good KingPin! --- The drill on a good swivel will fix the spacing issue. And a trick that I found on a youtube channel is how you hold the spool and the wire. For me, I wrap the wire so that it is "under" the core. My room light will then reflect off of the wire at different angles and I can see the damn thing easier. I can then just hit full speed and not think about it once it has ran a few turns.

Have you a link to that channel phantom? Holding it right is key as you say...

I wicked this one correctly! can honestly say it's the best tasting vape I've ever had. I love the T8-V8 coils there are my favs and the uwell crown was best I've tried for flavour until now! The vape is silky smooth, serious it's like nothing I've experienced up till now, really dense clouds and getting notes on my flavour that were previously muted everything is just fucking awesome just WoW! Think I had my first vapegasm hahaha
(Settled at 85w vents half closed)

My eyes are opened to rebuilding now and completely get the whole doing everything yourself, I was sceptical at first, I was like... come on it can't be THAT much better, I'll put my hand up that was obnoxious of me
It makes it all that much better knowing I made that myself, I know exactly what materials I've put in it and can only imagine how good it will be when I really crack making a good fused clapton!

Now I'm wondering if it tastes this good on my RTA how much better is is going to be on an RDA surely it can't be THAT much better ?LoL

Last edited:

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
View attachment 72813 View attachment 72812 View attachment 72811 Well got all my coil bits through my first ever coil build don't laugh :D:oops: went with 316L 26g twisted dual coil

First thoughts are this is a lot bloody harder than in looks in the vids took me 3 hours lmao and I'm still not all that happy with the spacing (but it's so springy!) managed to get it to come out at 0.21 happy with that! Heating fairly evenly meh

Haven't wicked it yet gonna do that next

I believe you are using 316L SS? If so, then yes, as you heat the wire, the resistance of the coil will increase.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'll find you the video links.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
On a side note, using SS wire in a mech is nice.....it works almost like tc mode on a regulated....at the start, you will be getting higher wattage as the resistance is lower, then as the coil heats up, the wattage output will drop.
I was converted to squonking with this beauty....WP_20160317_003.jpg

It's a CC (custom classics) mod...a bit pricey, but worth every penny IMO. Simple, and downright bomb proof.
I do have a vt75 squonker ordered, coming via slow boat from china :p

For my build, I usually run a dual vertical coil, in either 28 or 26 guage, and wicked with SS mesh.....nothing but flavor. Wouldn't be great on a dripper, since you would have to drip way too often, but works great on a squonker (only issue is you have to remember to vape off your whole squonk before putting it in your pocket....the mesh doesn't hold onto the juice like cotton will, so it can leak in your pocket).

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
On a side note, using SS wire in a mech is nice.....it works almost like tc mode on a regulated....at the start, you will be getting higher wattage as the resistance is lower, then as the coil heats up, the wattage output will drop.
I was converted to squonking with this beauty....View attachment 73390

It's a CC (custom classics) mod...a bit pricey, but worth every penny IMO. Simple, and downright bomb proof.

For my build, I usually run a dual vertical coil, in either 28 or 26 guage, and wicked with SS mesh.....nothing but flavor. Wouldn't be great on a dripper, since you would have to drip way too often, but works great on a squonker (only issue is you have to remember to vape off your whole squonk before putting it in your pocket....the mesh doesn't hold onto the juice like cotton will, so it can leak in your pocket).

How does mesh work? I've been hit and miss with cotton so far ok my own build wicked great tasted bloody awesome but longevity wise ...well let's say it lasted less than a week before I was getting burnt taste problem I've got is my V8 coils just go and go plug and play style is it always like this DIY?

Now I know why Lucy was saying keep it simple hehe

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
How does mesh work? I've been hit and miss with cotton so far ok my own build wicked great tasted bloody awesome but longevity wise ...well let's say it lasted less than a week before I was getting burnt taste problem I've got is my V8 coils just go and go plug and play style is it always like this DIY?

Your probably needing to change cotton more frequently. I've read were you should change cotton every 4-5days. I go about 4 and then change on my RTAs and RDA

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Reigle1972

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Have you a link to that channel phantom? Holding it right is key as you say...

I wicked this one correctly! can honestly say it's the best tasting vape I've ever had. I love the T8-V8 coils there are my favs and the uwell crown was best I've tried for flavour until now! The vape is silky smooth, serious it's like nothing I've experienced up till now, really dense clouds and getting notes on my flavour that were previously muted everything is just fucking awesome just WoW! Think I had my first vapegasm hahaha
(Settled at 85w vents half closed)

My eyes are opened to rebuilding now and completely get the whole doing everything yourself, I was sceptical at first, I was like... come on it can't be THAT much better, I'll put my hand up that was obnoxious of me
It makes it all that much better knowing I made that myself, I know exactly what materials I've put in it and can only imagine how good it will be when I really crack making a good fused clapton!

Now I'm wondering if it tastes this good on my RTA how much better is is going to be on an RDA surely it can't be THAT much better ?LoL
I bought a few of these cleaning tools and received today, just a small wire brush. 3Fvape.com has them for $1.99IMG_20170201_140352_hdr.jpg IMG_20170201_140430_hdr.jpg

Reigle1972

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also iif anyone is looking for bf pins 3Fvape.com has goon and goon lp bf pins for $0.99.
First pic (left to right) is of goon and goon LP bf pins from 3Fvape and second is goon, goon LP and FDV bf pinIMG_20170201_141518_hdr.jpg IMG_20170201_141820_hdr.jpg

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

mesh is not the simplest to set up....you have to torch the mesh before rolling (this helps coat the mesh to insulate it), then, after rolling and installing in your coil, you have to dry burn and prod/poke it around until all the little shorts are worked out. Once it is up and running, it can easily go a month or more, with occasional dry burns to clean. I find the flavor to be the best...all I taste is the juice, unlike with cotton.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I was converted to squonking with this beauty....View attachment 73390

A CC is next on my "I'm a spoiled empty-nester" list :giggle:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
@KingPin! -- Here is one of them. Watch how he holds the spool. I would recommend watching all of his videos. They are all very good.

Thanks phantom seen some of his builds before he is the king ding a ling makes it look so easy will try this for sure

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
mesh is not the simplest to set up....you have to torch the mesh before rolling (this helps coat the mesh to insulate it), then, after rolling and installing in your coil, you have to dry burn and prod/poke it around until all the little shorts are worked out. Once it is up and running, it can easily go a month or more, with occasional dry burns to clean. I find the flavor to be the best...all I taste is the juice, unlike with cotton.

Do you know of a good guide vid for setting mesh up @USMCotaku ?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Cheers buddy :)

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you are just starting out, and understand mech's, I would buy a CopperVape squonker. You can get the watts with a good battery and coil which performs real nice, especially considering the cost.
Input on this one needed.

So I have a Velocity v2 that I picked up from Whiskey . It's a dual coil atty and I have a .5ohm build (dual N80 coils) in it sitting on my CopperVape with a Samsung 25R battery. Based on ohm law, this should be hitting at approx 27 watts.

1) The flavor sucks
2) The vape isn't warm enough for me.
3) Seems to take a long time to warm up and get vapor.

What am I doing wrong or need to change to get better performance & vape?

If I move the atty to a better non-mech mod and hit the coils at about 30W I get a better flavorful vape.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

So I have a Velocity v2 that I picked up from Whiskey . It's a dual coil atty and I have a .5ohm build (dual N80 coils) in it sitting on my CopperVape with a Samsung 25R battery. Based on ohm law, this should be hitting at approx 27 watts.

1) The flavor sucks

If I move the atty to a better non-mech mod and hit the coils at about 30W I get a better flavorful vape.

Single battery mechs don't do well with double coils

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Gauge of the wire also influences the quality of vape from a mech

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Based on heat flux, it looks like I would get a "warmer" vape using KA1 instead.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I've got N80 26g @ 10wraps on a 3mm ID (1ohm p/coil)

Some folks like 26 G on a mech, I like single coil 28 or 30 gauge. Mainly SS but sometimes Kanthal. I like SS because it's faster to work with (I'm lazy)

EDIT: I use 28 if I'm likely to use the same atty on a regulated mod, 30 for mech only. Others may advise you differently :)

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Some folks like 26 G on a mech, I like single coil 28 or 30 gauge. Mainly SS but sometimes Kanthal. I like SS because it's faster to work with (I'm lazy)
Hmm... good idea. I have some 28g, but only in SS.

Well, that would have to be exactly a 0.9Ω - 1.0Ω coil to keep the heat flux down on it.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

1) The flavor sucks

OK easy do a 2.5 mm 6wrap spaced dual coil with your 26g n80 and it should solve your problem with that airy velocity. Adjust the airflow to a restricted lung hit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i use 26awg n80 2.5mm ID parallel 4 wraps on 4.2 volt mechs [parallel batteries though]

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
One of the reasons I am getting "over" the derringer....popped a dual 24 gauge 304SS build in it, and even with the afc ring removed, the vapor was just way too hot.

what battery are you using btw? Higher quality cells will give you less voltage drop, hitting harder.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
um, that really depends on the coils.
You can run dual 26 gauge 6/7 wraps just fine....or, if ya like it a bit hot, a dual 24 gauge 6 wrap (3mm ID) of 304 SS

Takes a lot of finesse and experience to do it with any kind of satisfaction.

Myself, I hate the ramp up time with 26 G - even single coil on a regulated mod. And I don't like fidgeting with settings for a faster ramp up or messing with TC.

In general, you are not going to get a strong vape out of double coil on a single battery mech right out of the shoot.

It can be finessed for some styles of vaping, but it's not going to happen for most folks right out of the chute

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Takes a lot of finesse and experience to do it with any kind of satisfaction.

Myself, I hate the ramp up time with 26 G - even single coil on a regulated mod. And I don't like fidgeting with settings for a faster ramp up or messing with TC.

In general, you are not going to get a strong vape out of double coil on a single battery mech right out of the shoot.

It can be finessed for some styles of vaping, but it's not going to happen for most folks right out of the chute

I guess......It just seems second nature to me now...started building years ago in the kanger protank coils.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
The weak hits on a double coil were put on a mech squonker with a regular dripper, not a hybrid mech

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
? not sure of the relevancy ?
I am running a dual 26 gauge build on my mech squonker, with no weak hits to be found :p

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
the two areas I see lacking with beggining builders is the wrong type of build for the air flow, and poor wicking

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
the two areas I see lacking with beggining builders is the wrong type of build for the air flow, and poor wicking

I often get the 'shakies' in trying to put coils to decks. Have to stop and remind myself "it's just damn wire". Often get real stressed in building. It's at that point I 'hit the wall'. I talk to my Pap who reminds me about tying flies for fishing with him & then building becomes a pleasant meditation for me in a way. It's a means of coping with stress. :) For me at least some of the muscle memory of fly tying is similar to that of coil building.

Perfection is not lack of imperfection rather the accepting of imperfection being the state of perfection. Took me years to comprehend this and to have it truly sink in and apply itself. Yes, do your best, but don't force perfection, it'll either come on its own or not either way can anyone really say it has or hasn't? What might be imperfect to me, is perfect to you or vice versa.

Yes, I think that's germane for someone new to squonking, coil building, vaping and in the long range life itself. People get too hung up on being perfect, producing perfect. They loose sight of the journey itself and sometimes that is the better notion to hold fast to, not some bullshit idea of perfection.

Sorry leatherneck, I'll hush, getting all deep like us bubble-heads are keen to do. Pass me a beer, wash down the hub bub. :)

Last edited:

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I often get the 'shakies' in trying to put coils to decks. Have to stop and remind myself "it's just damn wire". Often get real stressed in building. It's at that point I 'hit the wall'. I talk to my Pap who reminds me about tying flies for fishing with him & then building becomes a pleasant meditation for me in a way. It's a means of coping with stress. :) For me at least some of the muscle memory of fly tying is similar to that of coil building.

Perfection is not lack of imperfection rather the accepting of imperfection being the state of perfection. Took me years to comprehend this and to have it truly sink in and apply itself. Yes, do your best, but don't force perfection, it'll either come on its own or not either way can anyone really say it has or hasn't? What might be imperfect to me, is perfect to you or vice versa.

Yes, I think that's germane for someone new to squonking, coil building, vaping and in the long range life itself. People get too hung up on being perfect, producing perfect. They loose sight of the journey itself and sometimes that is the better notion to hold fast to, not some bullshit idea of perfection.

Sorry leatherneck, I'll hush, getting all deep like us bubble-heads are keen to do. Pass me a beer, wash down the hub bub. :)

long winded way of saying "it's the journey, not the destination, that matters" :giggle:
You forgot to mention that everyone's "perfect" is perfectly different.
My favorite build is "xxxxxx"
Oh man, you have GOT to try "xxxxxxx"
Ah, no thanks, I quite like my "xxxxxxx"
But "xxxxxxx" is soooo much better....

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
long winded way of saying "it's the journey, not the destination, that matters" :giggle:

*chuckling and grinning * Pretty much, yes sir, mate.

Nah, you got xxxxx all wrong it's really yyyyyy in disguise pitching for zzzzzz. Still it leaves the question open, "who's on first?" :) :D :p

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
We'll change to my original plan guys I won't be getting the Dripbox 160 after all managed to get in a pre order for ....

lost-vape-drone-bf-squonker-dna250.png

Although I still plan to get a hadaly have got the below tank on a slow boat from China

11.jpg

Well excited might even change my name to SquonkPin! LoL

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
@PhantomOp how are you getting on with that coppervape buddy and the clone hadaly? Almost pulled the trigger on one the other day ordered myself 4 x Sony VTC5a batteries so at least I can use a mech more safely should I get one

@JuicyLucy have you seen the review on the Psyclone kryten yet apart from build deck looks pretty awesome! (I know Mike vape vids everything is awesome give me more free shit please...but I do like his build sections of the vids lol)

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=20&ved=0ahUKEwjS6OCAlJjSAhXHJMAKHURVD-UQwqsBCEEwEw&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PxJwDBSpTns&usg=AFQjCNEBddlw__Hgwc2KVKbSIhqt8Psbeg

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@PhantomOp how are you getting on with that coppervape buddy and the clone hadaly? Almost pulled the trigger on one the other day ordered myself 4 x Sony VTC5a batteries so at least I can use a mech more safely should I get one
The Hadaly clone is working out really good. Wife took off with it and hasn't given it back other than to get a new cotton & coil job. :D

As for the Coppervape -- I've not had much luck with a good coil build that I like on a single battery MECH. HOWEVER!! --- This is #1 -- because the only other BF atty's i've got are dual coil, and the wife won't give up the Hadaly. #2 -- The other atty's are still on the SUPER SLOW boat from China...

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
The Hadaly clone is working out really good. Wife took off with it and hasn't given it back other than to get a new cotton & coil job. :D

As for the Coppervape -- I've not had much luck with a good coil build that I like on a single battery MECH. HOWEVER!! --- This is #1 -- because the only other BF atty's i've got are dual coil, and the wife won't give up the Hadaly. #2 -- The other atty's are still on the SUPER SLOW boat from China...

Hehe sounds like you need a second clone mate!

VU Sponsors