Become a Patron!

Newbie Squonker (hopefully)

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Lucy --- I was reading your (and others) recommendations on RDA's. See any issues with the ShenRay Hadaly Style RDA (Clone) ?

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My clicker finger just took control --- damn it.

Lost Vape Therion BF Squonker DNA75 Kit -- ordered

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
My clicker finger just took control --- damn it.

Lost Vape Therion BF Squonker DNA75 Kit -- ordered

I don't personally have the Shenray version, I've got the SXK.

The only problem I've heard about folks having with the clone are those that like to build double coil with bulky wire

The top-clamp in the SXK clones are shorter than authentics (I do have both) so as long as you are not going too crazy on the builds, it is a fantastic atty for flavor very decent clouds, if that is your thing :)

EDIT: At least one regular squonker here had to take a file to their top cap because it wouldn't seat properly, had burs. Don't remember which clone they had

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Decent? Should I be looking at a better one?
We usually vape VW between 35-55w

So far I'm looking at these:
Lost Vape Therion BF Squonker DNA75 Kit
ShenRay Hadaly Style RDA (Clone)
If you are just starting out, and understand mech's, I would buy a CopperVape squonker. You can get the watts with a good battery and coil which performs real nice, especially considering the cost.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I just got two of last run's Goon LPs in some luscious vape mail yesterday - waaaaa

I'm trying to decide which is best, Hadaly or Goon LP for flavor

It's almost a draw I'm thinking

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just got two of last run's Goon LPs in some luscious vape mail yesterday - waaaaa

I'm trying to decide which is best, Hadaly or Goon LP for flavor

It's almost a draw I'm thinking
I like the easy (new) coiling method of the LP Goons.....:wave:

They are tastely lil devils....:vino:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
If you are just starting out, and understand mech's, I would buy a CopperVape squonker. You can get the watts with a good battery and coil which performs real nice, especially considering the cost.

Yeah, if you like mechs, the CopperVape is hands-down the best bargain going for a squonker, period

Those babies perform - and the bodies are as tough as they come

I have mine in rotation with REOs and a TMod and love them just as much - at a tiny fraction of the cost

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I'll add it to my next week's allowance, just so that I have it. I'll have to read up on Mech's before using it though.

EDIT: Damn -- only $30 from gearbest --- that is a nice price!!!

You can get them without the atty (which are junk anyway) at FT for $26

https://www.fasttech.com/search?coppervape

The brass ones are SOLID AND HEAVY, about $35

It's an unbeatable deal

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Has anyone seen or managed to get hold of the GBOX S100 by GeekVapes or Movkin Disguiser with squonk kit, what are your thoughts?

Staying on the dual battery theme here both of these mods offer that just wondering how they would compare to the Dripbox 160 as I've recently found out the centre pin is located in a really crap place which means RDAs will overhang if over 22ml in diameter

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Has anyone seen or managed to get hold of the GBOX S100 by GeekVapes or Movkin Disguiser with squonk kit

Staying on the dual battery theme here both of these mods offer that just wondering how they would compare to the Dripbox 160 as I've recently found out the centre pin is located in a really crap place which means RDAs will overhang if over 22ml in diameter

@The Cromwell has a Disguiser, I think @inspects does too

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
@PhantomOp that Therion BF looks awesome awww man I'm torn your messin with my plan lol

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@PhantomOp that Therion BF looks awesome awww man I'm torn
Trust me, so was I. I almost did the Kanger, but my thinking is if I DO like it it will be a damn good unit. If I don't like it, it should sell easy, or just an expensive paperweight.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
And it was on sale at element vapes for $115 US

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Trust me, so was I. I almost did the Kanger, but my thinking is if I DO like it it will be a damn good unit. If I don't like it, it should sell easy, or just an expensive paperweight.

That's the spirit! Hahahaha well since your gonna be getting all of your bits before me please let me know your thoughts I'd be interested to know Especially how each of those mods perform

Also @JuicyLucy i noticed above you have the clone and authentic hadaly is there any difference in quality and taste?

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's the spirit! Hahahaha well since your gonna be getting all of your bits before me please let me know your thoughts I'd be interested to know Especially how each of those mods perform

Also @JuicyLucy i noticed above you have the clone and authentic hadaly is there any difference in quality and taste?
Will do!

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

I have the authentic and three of the SXK clones. The biggest difference on how it affects your builds is that the top clamp on the clone is shorter and angled differently - just enough to keep some people being able to put in dual coils with the bigger wire. Some have reported having a hard time even with single wires.

I'm sure there is a difference in how the air chambers are offset, because on the clone, I vape with it wide open. On the authentic, I shut the air flow in half - and I am not a fan of airy vapes and like my draw to be a little restricted.

There are many cosmetic differences, but not really worth mentioning here.

Taste is almost the same on them, I find the authentic a little "Juicier" - I can' t think of another word to describe it.

I have decent deck photo comparisons if anyone is interested.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I have the authentic and three of the SXK clones. The biggest difference on how it affects your builds is that the top clamp on the clone is shorter and angled differently - just enough to keep some people being able to put in dual coils with the bigger wire. Some have reported having a hard time even with single wires.

I'm sure there is a difference in how the air chambers are offset, because on the clone, I vape with it wide open. On the authentic, I shut the air flow in half - and I am not a fan of airy vapes and like my draw to be a little restricted.

There are many cosmetic differences, but not really worth mentioning here.

Taste is almost the same on them, I find the authentic a little "Juicier" - I can' t think of another word to describe it.

I have decent deck photo comparisons if anyone is interested.
Yes please :)

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Authentic on the left, SXK clone on the right.
Hadaly clone vs real.jpg

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
You could actually take a dremel sanding disc to the clone clamp and thin it down a bit. It is thicker than the authentic.

The clamp isn't just thicker, it is also angled sharper and has less surface area to secure the coil.

The bottom portion of the clamp is also wider, taking up deck space.

In this case, I'm glad I got the authentic first (I usually go clone first, then maybe authentic) because I might not have gone for an authentic based on how the clone is. Its a good vape, but the authentic is outstanding.

And I am not an "authentic" snob at all

Zaxxaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got one yesterday and really like it, it holds 2ml of juice and comes with a bf pin so depending on your Squonker bottle capacity it's a win win. I wish it came in a 24mm, but for being a 22mm it kicks butt. And it's price is affordable, $49-50 for SS, and $55 for black. Varitube has it here in the States
http://www.varitube.com/PinDad-Drip-Tank-by-BomberTech_p_418.html
Bombertech is working on the V2 version of the Pindad and said it will be 24mm and hold 4 to 5 ml!

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
We'll stage 1 underway :)

Ordered the Geek Vape 521 master DIY tool kit
Cotton bacon V2 from
Total ÂŁ45
www.sparksecigs.co.uk

Ordered various gauge wires including;
SS 316L annealed 26g (10m), 28g (10m), 38g (50m)
Kanthal A1 34g (10m) they had sold out of the SS
They also chucked in some free wire and MUJI organic cotton as well not bad for ÂŁ16
www.stealthvape.co.uk

Should be with me next week gonna try simple coils to start prolly using 28g 3mm wraps unless you guys reckon one of the others will be better? Bear in mind this is going on my TFV8 RTA to begin with

Last edited:

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
With that RBA/Atty, I really like Clapton and Fused Clapton coils. You got the supplies there to do them also.
Fitting in a 3mm ID coil can get pretty tight, I might move it down to a 2.5mm ID.

Here is a good simple micro coil.
(2 Coils) 26g @ 2.5mm ID -- 9 wraps :: approx .6ohm p/coil (.3ohm total)

Also, here is a wicking tutorial that I put together for that specific atty / rba coil.
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/smok-big-baby-beast-baby-beast-rba-wicking-technique.300259/

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
With that RBA/Atty, I really like Clapton and Fused Clapton coils. You got the supplies there to do them also.
Fitting in a 3mm ID coil can get pretty tight, I might move it down to a 2.5mm ID.

Here is a good simple micro coil.
(2 Coils) 26g @ 2.5mm ID -- 9 wraps :: approx .6ohm p/coil (.3ohm total)

Also, here is a wicking tutorial that I put together for that specific atty / rba coil.
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/smok-big-baby-beast-baby-beast-rba-wicking-technique.300259/

Cheers matey ...Seen a lot of people rate twisted as well? Doesn't seem difficult to do either are they better than plain coils taste wise was thinking either 26 or 28 for them

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Cheers matey ...Seen a lot of people rate twisted as well? Doesn't seem difficult to do either are they better than plain coils taste wise was thinking either 26 or 28 for them
Yes, twisted wire will give you more surface area for sure. The more surface area of the coil, typically the more flavor you will get.

So --- here is a good twisted with your materials.

28g SS316L (2 Strand Twisted @ 1.8mm twist pitch)
.3ohm total resistance (.6ohm p/coil)

upload_2017-1-21_11-14-5.png
upload_2017-1-21_11-14-23.png
upload_2017-1-21_11-14-33.png

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Sweet cheers mate just to check twist pitch of 1.8 means how many times I wrap the wires togther so it will be

A) 5.5 ridges (or twists) per 10mm of wire correct?
Length / no. ridges in that length = twist pitch

Or am I being a tard and it's

B) 18 ridges (or twists) per 10mm
No. Ridges in that length / length = twist pitch

Turns out it's A according to the post below so I wasnt being a tard after all! (That steam engine note could be a bit clearer meh)

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/twisted-question.213128/

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Last edited:

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Here is my stoopid sqounker question for the day.

I pulled the trigger and purchased the Kanger 80 Watt Dripbox which I hope will arrive Monday.

While I fully intend to build and install my own coils and wicks, I did order a couple of extra, well what I would call Coil and Wick assemblies. At $2.99 each, can't really go wrong with that.

Is it safe to assume that they won't have any machine oil residue on them or any other type of contaminate? And just need some E-Liquid added before using (Duhh)?

Heck, I can almost taste the last vape I had from a new tank that I had neglected to clean before using.:cuss2:

Not an experience I would care to repeat!

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
@UncleRJ hmm tricky one that if it's all preinstalled for you it's gonna be a PITA to take apart, soaking in alcohol or boiling it might help? heck every T8 coil I put in tastes gash to begin with could just push through it?

Otherwise it's a case of take wicking out dry firing coil and re wick yourself just my thoughts I'm no expert by any means

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
@UncleRJ hmm tricky one that if it's all preinstalled for you it's gonna be a PITA to take apart, soaking in alcohol or boiling it might help? heck every T8 coil I put in tastes gash to begin with could just push through it?

Otherwise it's a case of take wicking out dry firing coil and re wick yourself just my thoughts I'm no expert by any means

Yep, better safe than sorry!

As I understand it, the decks are made so you can install your own coils anyway. Most likely, I will scrap the wicks, give the deck a soak in vinegar followed by a soak and a rinse, dry, dryburn the coils and replace the wicks. From looking at the pic's online thinking it is going to be fairly straightforward.

Thanks for the help!

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Indeed, I don't care for the squonk option.
Thanks inspects so sights set back to the Dripbox 160 phew ....what with phantoms therion not working and all makes life easier to choose again ;)

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I think a 160 will probably make a darn fine first squonker - it's wonderful that folks can try squonking for under $50

You can get a higher end setup later if you like it

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
IMG_2655.JPG IMG_0849.JPG IMG_0847.JPG Well got all my coil bits through my first ever coil build don't laugh :D:oops: went with 316L 26g twisted dual coil

First thoughts are this is a lot bloody harder than in looks in the vids took me 3 hours lmao and I'm still not all that happy with the spacing (but it's so springy!) managed to get it to come out at 0.21 happy with that! Heating fairly evenly meh

Haven't wicked it yet gonna do that next

One question though guys is it normal for the ohms to jump that much when heating the coil?

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
One question though guys is it normal for the ohms to jump that much when heating the coil?

Look great!

They are perfectly, evenly matched, right?

I don't know squat about the Geek Vape reader, but usually if your ohms are jumping and the coils aren't heating perfectly evenly, there is either a short or the screws aren't quite tight enough. On some atties, the screws tend to loosen up some when dry firing

VU Sponsors