Become a Patron!

Newbie. Discouraged over constant leaks!

WHY! Juice in my pocket, allover my hands, allover my truck, its never ending and unenjoyable to say the least. I recently upgraded my tank to a Uwell Crown 4 that is suppose to be leak resistant. Well I've found that after a day or 2 it starts puking juice out of the bottom air intakes. Ill take it apart and clean it all up and inspect the coil and seals and tighten everything and refill, another day or 2 goes by and it starts puking again. Being new to vaping im not sure if this is normal or if im somehow causing the issue or if im missing something! Id appreciate any input

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Sorry you are having leaking problems- Most sub tanks with bottom air flow leak- gravity.
You could try closing off the bottom air flow when not using it- fill slowly and turn upside down after filling for a few minutes sometimes helps.
Best bet would be to buy a sub tank with top air flow- little to no leaking. Like the Smok TFV8 Baby

https://www.centralvapors.com/smok-tfv8-x-baby-tank/

I mainly use top air flow RTAs so no leaking with those.
You could also look into a pod system for sticking in you pocket with no leaks like the Lost Vape Orion Q or the Orion Go or the Smoant Pasito
both of those work great and no leaking.

Last edited:

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
#2 Apply a light film of juice to new O-rings before assembly
#2 Don't over-tighten. Snug things down firmly, but don't rag on them.
#3 Be careful when screwing the tank on and off the mod, and when opening and closing air control or juice fill, not to loosen anything your don't mean to

I've had my Falcon tank leak twice and one of my Falcon King tanks leak once. For the Falcon I'm pretty certain I failed to follow #2 and #3, above, because, after I took it apart and re-seated the coil: No more leaks. In the one Falcon King incident I had I believe it was a faulty coil, because I reseated it and it leaked again. I replaced it and no more leaks.

In the couple months I've been vaping, those are the only three incidents of leaking I've experienced.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
If you still have the box I would suggest finding the little pack of extra orings that came with the tank.
Take them out so you know which orings are in your tank and how many.

Take your tank apart and be sure that every oring in the kit is already on the tank.

There is a chance there is a missing oring somewhere.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I just Googled "Crown 4 tank leaking" and got a bunch of hits. Apparently you aren't alone.

I don't use factory coil tanks any more, but a good rule-of-thumb for any tank that fills from the top is this: Be sure you close the airflow control (and the juice control if present) before you open the top to refill the tank. Then refill and close the top. Slowly invert the tank, and when it's upside down, open the airflow. Now, again slowly, turn the tank rightside up and put it back on your mod.

What you're trying to do is create the proper vacuum inside the tank. If vacuum isn't right, gravity will pull the juice out through the airflow vents.

My old Herakles tanks would leak every single time unless I filled them this way.

O-ring problems and parts that are tightened too much are also things to check, as others stated.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
a good rule-of-thumb for any tank that fills from the top is this: Be sure you close the airflow control (and the juice control if present) before you open the top to refill the tank. Then refill and close the top. Slowly invert the tank, and when it's upside down, open the airflow. Now, again slowly, turn the tank rightside up and put it back on your mod.

What you're trying to do is create the proper vacuum inside the tank. If vacuum isn't right, gravity will pull the juice out through the airflow vents.

My old Herakles tanks would leak every single time unless I filled them this way.

It was the same with me and the old Boreas RTAs.
I had to burp it every time or i'd get juice everywhere and it would wind up only half full.

Even if it's a miracle tank that doesn't need to be burped you need to at least shut the juice/air flow off before opening the cap to refill it.

Also, If you have juice flow remember to turn it back on before you go to vape.

I've already rewicked and refilled an RTA, then afterward forgot to turn the juice flow on so I ended up with a nice new burnt wick for my troubles.:facepalm:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@racetech Don't get discouraged, get into the vaping underground. You'll find a family of vapers here that'll be continually helpful. We're by far not like any other vaping forum. All of us remember being newbies. There's only one stupid question, the one you don't ask because you think it's stupid.

If tanks keep giving you the shit, you might want to try squonking. Plenty around that can guide you to that if you choose it. Look for the thread here called Squonkers are Bonkers if you want to lurk and learn a bit about squonking. It's as good a place as any to get an idea about it as any. Understand I'm not saying you need to squonk, only suggesting it as another possible way to consider.

You still might enjoy tanks and figure out any issues. That's great too! :) The main point is we want to help keep everyone away from cigarettes, tobacco if we can. Those products are known killers. Vaping is a lot less of a risk. Sure there is some risk but if a person uses a little common sense that can be mitigated well. Welcome home. :)

casketweaver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks for the info everyone. Im gonna look into the seals and stuff. If it continues I may have to try another tank with a top intake rather then a bottom.
Best tank for that, sadly, is an RBA / RTA. The Zeus... Top airflow, and some crazy channel system makes it damn near leak proof. You'd literally would have to lay it on its side for that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RubenAlonzo

Member For 4 Years
When I had leaks on my tanks it was usually because I used too much cotton as well as it was too tight, hope you get it sorted

Well after changing the coil and going through it once again, it started leaking the next day lol. I've noticed it does it when I vape a lot and get it hot. Almost like the heat pressurizes the tank and pukes the juice.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
What coils are you using with the Crown 4- maybe a different type of coil would help?
SS904 in 0.2Ω or the 0.3Ω or the UNZ .23 Ω- maybe another companies coils fit?
I have the Smok Cloud Beast TFV8- the coil that came installed the V8-T8 Octople Coil- I made sure I primed and tightened down- leaked all over my hands and mod, that base was not on it correctly , tried to screw it down- no luck with that coil.
Tried the other coil- the Q4 absolutely no leaking works great!
Good Thing my Cloud Beast comes with and RBA- I use that- no leaking.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Have you thought about trying an RTA? ( Rebuildable Tank Atomizer)
The SMM Elevate is a great easy, single coil deck ,non leaking top air flow RTA-
very simple to use, even for a newbie- and you can buy pre made coils- like a Demon Killer coil kit for cheap- buy some organic cotton balls from Walgreens-
with all the nonsense going on against vaping and vaping bans, you would be able to vape if you could no longer purchase your factory coils!
Simple coils are easy to wind as well.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Well after changing the coil and going through it once again, it started leaking the next day lol. I've noticed it does it when I vape a lot and get it hot. Almost like the heat pressurizes the tank and pukes the juice.
To much cotton.
Edit...i just saw it isnt an rta. So no clue as i dont use factory coils

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
3rd the RTA, with a little effort and a Dead Rabbit RTA, you could dump those stock coils and be a master of the thing in 2-3 tries. The Dead Rabbit IMO is the absolute best beginner's RTA. It is easy to build, not coil position picky and is easy to wick. We have some awesome resident coil builders that can get you dialed in with something made for you. A good set of coils will pay for themselves several times over if you take care of them.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Juice all in your truck? Is it getting warm in there?
Most all vape devices will be prone to leaking if they get hot. Juice thins in heat and pressure builds in the tank pushing juice out thru the wick.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
3rd the RTA, with a little effort and a Dead Rabbit RTA

I'll change it up a little and suggest an RDA, same name though. The Dead Rabbit RDA, at least the SQ one would do well for someone starting out, imho. You can use the SQ version as a standard RDA by swapping out the center pin with a standard center pin.

Know that when I use the SQ (SQuonk) version of this RDA there's no over squonking it. Doubt you could over drip it either. There's no leaks either as long as you got the o-rings all set correctly & wick it well. It is pretty simple to sort those out too. The Rabbit is set up to wick like rabbit ears. :)

Something to consider as well regarding wicking. I find that both cotton & rayon can hold around 1 ml of juice with the rayon holding just a bit more, +/- 0.2/3ml. That 1 ml of juice from what I'm led to understand from reading a lot about it is roughly 22 drops. Others may have that as higher or lower, I decided for myself that's what drops equate, keeps it simple. Not going to argue that point.

That's just something a person might keep in mind using any atomizer with those types of wicks. In reality any atomizer does the same basic thing, keeps a hopefully saturate wick near the coil to heat the juice. It can do this one of three ways, have a reservoir / tank that holds juice and lets the wick draw juice as it needs it, let the user drip juice unto the wick, let the user squonk juice unto the wick.

Dripping and squonking are two versions of the same process. Dripping means you use a separate bottle of juice to carry along with you to drip juice unto a wick from the top. Squonking lets a mod hold the juice bottle internally, the user then squeezes that bottle to drip juice on a wick from the bottom.

Got a like & dislike of the Dead Rabbit SQ RDA. Not sure I want to PIF it but I use my Gorge RDA more, a lot more. I can over squonk the Gorge, it's not easy to do. You actually kind of need to be intentionally trying to do that. *chuckles* "Oh lookie, I over squonked, well piss!"

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
WHY! Juice in my pocket, allover my hands, allover my truck, its never ending and unenjoyable to say the least. I recently upgraded my tank to a Uwell Crown 4 that is suppose to be leak resistant. Well I've found that after a day or 2 it starts puking juice out of the bottom air intakes. Ill take it apart and clean it all up and inspect the coil and seals and tighten everything and refill, another day or 2 goes by and it starts puking again. Being new to vaping im not sure if this is normal or if im somehow causing the issue or if im missing something! Id appreciate any input
Hi, I just saw the thread. As mentioned, closing your airflow to completely off when not in use will help with that leaking issue. Also make sure your atomizer head and all threads are in straight and not slightly off thread, which can sometimes happen.

I think I have figured this issue out. I wasnt vaping at a high enough wattage. I use a coil rated 70-80 watts. I was using it at 70 and having all these issues. Last time I cleaned it all up and put it back together I started using it at 80 watts. So far so good and its been about a week.

VU Sponsors